• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

53 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

wow you had more than I did then.  I just had a slight accumulation on wires and tree branches, nothing else.  I wouldn't even call it 0.1-- it's going down as a Trace.

It did cover the colder surfaces but I wouldn’t call it more than a few tenths. The snow was freshened up, that’s about it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Holbrook is the boom/bust part of Suffolk. Max out on storms like the Jan 2022 blizzard and the big offshore storms that blast New England, get skunked today. I’d still take that trade over Merrick where he came from. In S Nassau you can’t seem to win with any setup. 

Looks great at my house now, definitely way more than Long Beach got. Nice fluff storm here. I definitely traded up snow wise as sad as it’s been. 

This!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Holbrook is the boom/bust part of Suffolk. Max out on storms like the Jan 2022 blizzard and the big offshore storms that blast New England, get skunked today. I’d still take that trade over Merrick where he came from. In S Nassau you can’t seem to win with any setup. 

Looks great at my house now, definitely way more than Long Beach got. Nice fluff storm here. I definitely traded up snow wise as sad as it’s been. 

wow I didn't know Holbrook was such a happening place....

11 minutes ago, psv88 said:

North shore got some sound enhancement today with the north wind. That enhancement dies out south of the LIE

I see that even made it out west by LGA.... note the difference in snowfall amounts between LGA, NYC and JFK.

I've seen it happen before too, we had a storm in December 1995 when LGA had 14" and NYC had 8" and JFK had 7"

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Jan 2022 I got like two feet and I’m just north of sunrise. Soooo……..

After we got married, we lived in West Babylon for a few years south of Sunrise near Arnold Ave.  It can be a tough place for snow.  A couple of years really stood out including 1994, which was a good winter overall, but WB had about half the snowfall of the north shore that winter.  The worst was one day in January when I drove home in a snowstorm only to learn that it had only rained in WB.  I saw it first hand because I was making that commute every day.

The tables were turned a little during Hurricane Bob.  It was just an average rainy day at work with no more than an occasional breeze.  When I got home that night after the storm had passed, there were trees down around Babylon.  That might have been more of an east-west thing than north-south.

I melted the snow that got caught in my 4" COCORAHS gage and it was only 0.03" liquid.  That seemed ridiculous for 1.7"  of snowfall (57:1) so I took a core off the snowboard and melted it.  That was a much more reasonable .10" (17:1).

Moral of the story: 4" rain gages are not good snow catchers.

Second lesson: The balance of model QPFs, although trending down, were still on the high side right up until today's 12z runs.  That is for my location.  YMMV.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

Jan 2022 I got like two feet and I’m just north of sunrise. Soooo……..

I had 12-13” in Long Beach in that storm. Bellmore/Wantagh on East is where that sound enhanced area set up at the end of the storm and dumped another 6” probably. It was very noticeable on the Wantagh Parkway coming out of Jones Beach. East from there it increased and there must’ve been 20”+ in Deer Park. Driving up 231 back to my place it dropped off again around Dix Hills and at my house there was probably 15”. That band that sat over SW Suffolk must’ve really dumped. In Long Beach that few hour period was light to moderate and lots of blowing snow, and radar showed it heavy in those places. Long Beach benefits in only maybe 1 of 50 setups. Gets screwed over in any winter setup otherwise. Where I live now also very rarely is the jackpot but cumulatively does well over an entire winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know I guess there’s a lot less snow on the ground on Long Island and in the city or something.

Because all these posts keep talking about snow down in Philadelphia and in Washington. And I’ve had snow on the ground since the last storm and I got more snow today and it’s a winter Wonderland and I don’t understand the fascination talking about Southern Jersey.

These posts make it seem like we have no snow on the ground and haven’t had snow on the ground all week.

It is very odd though. I can’t wait for next week when it’s gonna be 50 and there won’t be snow on the ground. I want to see the same people posting about how awful it is.

11 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I don’t know I guess there’s a lot less snow on the ground on Long Island and in the city or something.

Because all these posts keep talking about snow down in Philadelphia and in Washington. And I’ve had snow on the ground since the last storm and I got more snow today and it’s a winter Wonderland and I don’t understand the fascination talking about Southern Jersey.

These posts make it seem like we have no snow on the ground and haven’t had snow on the ground all week.

It is very odd though. I can’t wait for next week when it’s gonna be 50 and there won’t be snow on the ground. I want to see the same people posting about how awful it is.

It’ll suck but I’ll be good if it’s 50 and no snow on the ground. It was the story all last “winter” and most of 21-22 other than January. Rather that than frigid and no snow, at least when it’s 50 you can do things outdoors. Just hopefully in this next Pacific projectile vomit period it’s not full of rainy cutters that destroy whats left of the beaches and flood the rivers. And we can get one last chance at something decent in Feb before totally calling this winter another fail. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I had 12-13” in Long Beach in that storm. Bellmore/Wantagh on East is where that sound enhanced area set up at the end of the storm and dumped another 6” probably. It was very noticeable on the Wantagh Parkway coming out of Jones Beach. East from there it increased and there must’ve been 20”+ in Deer Park. Driving up 231 back to my place it dropped off again around Dix Hills and at my house there was probably 15”. That band that sat over SW Suffolk must’ve really dumped. In Long Beach that few hour period was light to moderate and lots of blowing snow, and radar showed it heavy in those places. Long Beach benefits in only maybe 1 of 50 setups. Gets screwed over in any winter setup otherwise. Where I live now also very rarely is the jackpot but cumulatively does well over an entire winter. 

very specifically the south shore benefits in Miller A coastals that do not change to a mix or rain, thats when we jackpot

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

After we got married, we lived in West Babylon for a few years south of Sunrise near Arnold Ave.  It can be a tough place for snow.  A couple of years really stood out including 1994, which was a good winter overall, but WB had about half the snowfall of the north shore that winter.  The worst was one day in January when I drove home in a snowstorm only to learn that it had only rained in WB.  I saw it first hand because I was making that commute every day.

The tables were turned a little during Hurricane Bob.  It was just an average rainy day at work with no more than an occasional breeze.  When I got home that night after the storm had passed, there were trees down around Babylon.  That might have been more of an east-west thing than north-south.

I wonder if the big ice storm we had back here in SW Nassau was more rain further east? I always noticed that the freezing line didn't get west of Freeport in big winters like that.

Millenium storm in Dec 2000 was also better for us as well as VD 2007

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I'm pretty sure this photo was taken in Long Beach 2/7/78.  Enjoy.

131581411_3704008062952978_8272069453988

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

You just refreshed my memory. I was under the band in southwest Suffolk. Was crazy. I think I had like 24 and islip had 28

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

funny how the south shore of long island does poorly even when further south does better lol

More irritating about the weather here is how many nice Spring days get ruined.

Can't count how many times I'd leave the office under a beautiful blue sky and high 60s, head down the Wantagh, seeing what looked like smoke in the distance, and be in damp and misty mid 50s by the time I was home.

Thinking back, afternoon baseball practice was always tough as a kid here.

The evenings from mid June to early August can be awesome though.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

More irritating about the weather here is how many nice Spring days get ruined.

Can't count how many times I'd leave the office under a beautiful blue sky and high 60s, head down the Wantagh, seeing what looked like smoke in the distance, and be in damp and misty mid 50s by the time I was home.

Thinking back, afternoon baseball practice was always tough as a kid here.

The evenings from mid June to early August can be awesome though.

The ocean lag. Jersey is 75 while we are 55 in the spring lol. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1