• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

True, but extreme heat has become more common while extreme cold has become less common.

And remember, they tell people what they want to hear, and climate change sells. (Not debating or saying it isn’t happening, this is just Econ 101)

People want to hear about rising crime, extreme heat, mega blizzards, unending floods, new diseases, you name it. It’s why we rubberneck.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

There are more weather segments now than ever...many newscasts begin and end with the weather. And there are numerous weather segments during the news program. 

"Nothing has changed since our last weather update 5 minutes ago But I'll be back in 5 minutes with a new update"

Something else I've noticed is that the phrase "snow storm" has been replaced by "winter storm" -- WHY? And why is it still called a "winter storm" if it happens in the fall or spring?

This opens up a whole new can of words-- I believe the phrase "winter storm warning" should be replaced with "snow storm warning"-- we already have an "ice storm warning" for freezing rain and sleet is measured as snow, so there is no real reason to use the phrase "winter storm warning" especially when the measuring criteria for that is the amount of snow that falls.  I would get rid of the term "winter storm" completely-- we should be precise in our wording, for a snow event it should be "snow storm" not "winter storm."

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, North and West said:

emoji817.png

And remember, they tell people what they want to hear, and climate change sells. (Not debating or saying it isn’t happening, this is just Econ 101)

People want to hear about rising crime, extreme heat, mega blizzards, unending floods, new diseases, you name it. It’s why we rubberneck.

Do we ever see heat anomalies 40 to 50 above normal? We do seem to see those types of cold anomalies in the US in recent years...

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Something else I've noticed is that the phrase "snow storm" has been replaced by "winter storm" -- WHY? And why is it still called a "winter storm" if it happens in the fall or spring?

This opens up a whole new can of words-- I believe the phrase "winter storm warning" should be replaced with "snow storm warning"-- we already have an "ice storm warning" for freezing rain and sleet is measured as snow, so there is no real reason to use the phrase "winter storm warning" especially when the measuring criteria for that is the amount of snow that falls.  I would get rid of the term "winter storm" completely-- we should be precise in our wording, for a snow event it should be "snow storm" not "winter storm."

..and can the WC please stop naming storms???

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, North and West said:

emoji817.png

and why the news is so depressing lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The term “Winter Storm” covers the whole gamut of precip types that one of these events can produce.  For that reason alone I think it’s a good term to use. 

11 minutes ago, North and West said:

emoji817.png

This has been the case for thousands of years. It’s human nature…notice all the floods and plagues and what not in the Bible? Peoples lives generally routine and boring so they are interested in extremes. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

The term “Winter Storm” covers the whole gamut of precip types that one of these events can produce.  For that reason alone I think it’s a good term to use. 

But we have already have a  term for ice/freezing rain-- "ice storm warning" and sleet is measured as snow and besides that the sole measuring criteria to achieve "winter storm warning" is snowfall, that's why I thought it would be better to have a "snowstorm warning" 

Maybe a "snowstorm warning" should be a separate criteria from "winter storm warning"-- like we had a "heavy snow warning" in the old days-- 6" is too low of a criteria for the maximum level of warning anyway, we should have a higher one for double digit snowfalls and bring back the "heavy snow warning"

If I remember correctly the old criteria for achieving a "heavy snow warning" was 10" of snow in 12 hours and 20" of snow in 24 hours?

Just now, LibertyBell said:

But we have already have a  term for ice/freezing rain-- "ice storm warning" and sleet is measured as snow and besides that the sole measuring criteria to achieve "winter storm warning" is snowfall, that's why I thought it would be better to have a "snowstorm warning" 

Maybe a "snowstorm warning" should be a separate criteria from "winter storm warning"-- like we had a "heavy snow warning" in the old days-- 6" is too low of a criteria for the maximum level of warning anyway, we should have a higher one for double digit snowfalls and bring back the "heavy snow warning"

We used to have snow advisories as well but they decided winter weather or winter storm covers everything unless there's a lot of ice accretion

• Like 1