• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow Friday 1/19/24: is it a period of light snow (less than 2"), or is there a chance of a 5" swath in part of the NYC subforum? Event OBS.

wdrag

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Guys please do not.  We all have political views, we just don’t bring them here.  This place is one of the last refuges on earth to get a break from it.

You don't see it bc we usually hide it pretty fast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, WIN said:

I understand getting blindsided like that, but the problem is that after a while, it becomes like the "boy who cried wolf". Also issuing a state of emergency preemptively should be saved for much bigger, widespread storms.

IF a state of emergency is issued in a situation like this it should be limited to the areas under the WSW.

Finally, issuing  a state for 4 to 6 inches of snow is an overreaction, period! Just MHO. I

They really should only issue it for south jersey if anywhere, but the whole idea of "state of emergency" should only be issued for something like Sandy.  Maybe they need to have a lower level of alert?  Did they ever think of that?  And they could call it "State of Preparedness".  Leave the "State of Emergency" only for historic and truly life threatening conditions.

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, dseagull said:

100 percent.. all emergency declarations and powers need to be kept in check. 

You need to really understand the law behind it. Seems everyone thinks it's some conspiracy so the government can get unchecked power. SMH.
https://nj.gov/njoem/about-us/state-of-emergency.shtml  details the meaning of the state of emergency. In this case, it allows the state to direct resources to local municipalities if they need it. So at this point, it's a formality and means nothing to the average citizen. It doesn't restrict your ability to drive anywhere. For the media, it's a great attention grabbing headline. 

• Thanks 1

Based on overnight developments, it now appears likely that New York City's streak without reaching 2" or more daily snowfall will reach 720 days today and then continue to increase in coming days as Arctic air retreats and a much milder period sets in. Parts of the Mid-Atlantic region, notably central New Jersey southward to Washington, DC will likely see 3"-5" of snow with locally higher amounts of 6" or perhaps a little more. Central Park is now in line for a coating to 2" (1" being the most likely amount). Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island should see 1"-2".  There remains a chance that Staten Island could see a few 3" amounts. Long Island will likely see 1"-3" with the highest amounts on the South Shore.

Things could be worse. For example, the last January storm that saw 4" or more snow in Washington, DC, but a trace or less in New York City occurred on January 3, 2022. Washington, DC picked up 6.9" of snow. No snow fell in New York City. This storm will have a better northern edge, but only to the extent that New York City and its nearby suburbs pick up a light snowfall.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Based on overnight developments, it now appears likely that New York City's streak without reaching 2" or more daily snowfall will reach 720 days today and then continue to increase in coming days as Arctic air retreats and a much milder period sets in. Parts of the Mid-Atlantic region, notably central New Jersey southward to Washington, DC will likely see 3"-5" of snow with locally higher amounts of 6" or perhaps a little more. Central Park is now in line for a coating to 2" (1" being the most likely amount). Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island should see 1"-2".  There remains a chance that Staten Island could see a few 3" amounts. Long Island will likely see 1"-3" with the highest amounts on the South Shore.

Things could be worse. For example, the last January storm that saw 4" or more snow in Washington, DC, but a trace or less in New York City occurred on January 3, 2022. Washington, DC picked up 6.9" of snow. No snow fell in New York City. This storm will have a better northern edge, but only to the extent that New York City and its nearby suburbs pick up a light snowfall.

Don, will NYC remain below last season's historic snowfall total even after this storm?  What's the most snow we can get from this storm and still remain below last season's total?

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Back in the day a few inches of snow was barely mentioned on the news...now it's a close second to the world is ending..

it would only be mentioned on the weathercast.

and the weathercast was only done at the end of the newscast.... have you noticed the weather gets mentioned every 10-15 minutes now on the news even if it's sunny and mild?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

They really should only issue it for south jersey if anywhere, but the whole idea of "state of emergency" should only be issued for something like Sandy.  Maybe they need to have a lower level of alert?  Did they ever think of that?  And they could call it "State of Preparedness".  Leave the "State of Emergency" only for historic and truly life threatening conditions.

Agreed

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

and the weathercast was only done at the end of the newscast.... have you noticed the weather gets mentioned every 10-15 minutes now on the news even if it's sunny and mild?

There are more weather segments now than ever...many newscasts begin and end with the weather. And there are numerous weather segments during the news program. 

"Nothing has changed since our last weather update 5 minutes ago But I'll be back in 5 minutes with a new update"

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, mcwx said:

You need to really understand the law behind it. Seems everyone thinks it's some conspiracy so the government can get unchecked power. SMH.
https://nj.gov/njoem/about-us/state-of-emergency.shtml  details the meaning of the state of emergency. In this case, it allows the state to direct resources to local municipalities if they need it. So at this point, it's a formality and means nothing to the average citizen. It doesn't restrict your ability to drive anywhere. For the media, it's a great attention grabbing headline. 

I agree with you 100 percent, and as firefighter, I understand the importance of resources in the public sector.  I thought I went over this in previous posts.  (In another arena, the structure of emergency declarations absolutely should be debated, as it can become more efficent and less prone to abuse and government/tax dollar waste.)

But I digress... I wasn't looking for a debate, and it certainly isn't political in nature.  It started as a tongue in cheek comment when just a few people were on the board and then it turned into something else it wasn't intended to be.  Back to weather.  

The wind is starting to hum now @ 16 knots, and with it, the temps are continuing to climb (34.6,) limiting accumulation on paved surfaces.  I will be heading inland about 6 miles to enjoy breakfast with coworkers and friends at a Luciles diner in Barnegat.  It is currently 8 degrees cooler there.  The water temps are just brutal for accumulation in my backyard. 

• Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Well because they hype climate change...yesterday  they mentioned deaths across the mation because of EXTREME  cold...guess what there has always been extreme cold and extreme heat

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, winterwarlock said:

Well because they hype climate change...yesterday  they mentioned deaths across the mation because of EXTREME  cold...guess what there has always been extreme cold and extreme heat

True, but extreme heat has become more common while extreme cold has become less common.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Don, will NYC remain below last season's historic snowfall total even after this storm?  What's the most snow we can get from this storm and still remain below last season's total?

I doubt it. NYC is at 1.9". I think Central Park will see at least 0.5". Winter 2022-2023 had season-total snowfall of 2.3".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Edubbs83 said:

A few flurries here in Syosset. Hoping to be surprised. But don’t expect much.

You can see the radar echoes drying up over LI from the confluence. Maybe a wave or two can reach the south shore but I doubt much happens here beyond the flurries we have now honestly because it will keep getting eaten up until the inverted trough develops and shifts the snow south. Maybe the south shore can get lucky with a coating to inch. 

• Like 1