• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Threat Thread: Do we finally win or get Saltburned?

H2O

6 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

It's amazing it was Euro vs the world and EURO appears to have won.

Do you think if it was Euro with a snowy solution vs the world  it would still win? :lol:

The Euro washed out after being the snowiest solution for 36-48 hours. No model has “won” as of yet and no model will when all is said and done.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

It's amazing it was Euro vs the world and EURO appears to have won.

Do you think if it was Euro with a snowy solution vs the world  it would still win? :lol:

No we saw that fail a few times. But never this close in!  Honestly when i realized this morning what the issue was and why the euro was doing what it was doing I had a suspicion it was right. It was opposite its two normal biases and it was due to resolved a very delicate play between two waves. That seemed something the better physics model was more likely to be resolving. But all the models seem to be too snowy in general. 

Im march 2018 every model showed me getting 6-10” 12 hours before the storm and I got nothing!  I remember a storm in 2007 where the NAM was on an island snowing no snow when everything else showed 3-6” the day before and the NAM won.  If anything shows a bad solution that’s the most likely one. And if everything shows snow they might all be wrong.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

The Euro washed out after being the snowiest solution for 36-48 hours. No model has “won” as of yet and no model will when all is said and done.

The euro started its southward shift on Wednesday night and by Thursday 12z run had the solution it pretty much has now.

It could be wrong. Who knows but it took the other models 24 - 36 hours to catch up. Gem still trying to catch up lol.

Euro isn't always right but it's superior resolution is a difference maker in set ups like these . 

Now let's reverse the trend at 00z tonight and get some damn snow. 

• Like 4

If it helps (and no it doesn't), the 0.25 degree experimental FuXi ECMWF ML model gives our area (I think) between .15 and .25 of liquid equivalent QPF Mon night into Tue. A band of overrunning snow north of a flat wave/eventual weak low off the Mid Atlc coast. 

MSLP and 850 mb wind speed:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/fuxi_medium-mslp-wind850?base_time=202401121200&projection=opencharts_north_america&valid_time=202401160600

12 hr QPF (4-5mm through 12Z Tue...another 0.5 to 1 mm through 00Z Wed...:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/fuxi_medium-mslp-rain?base_time=202401121200&interval=12&projection=opencharts_north_america&valid_time=202401130000

This particular version has been verifying fairly well of late.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

If it helps (and no it doesn't), the 0.25 degree experimental FuXi ECMWF ML model gives our area (I think) between .15 and .25 of liquid equivalent QPF Mon night into Tue. A band of overrunning snow north of a flat wave/eventual weak low off the Mid Atlc coast. 

MSLP and 850 mb wind speed:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/fuxi_medium-mslp-wind850?base_time=202401121200&projection=opencharts_north_america&valid_time=202401160600

12 hr QPF (4-5mm through 12Z Tue...another 0.5 to 1 mm through 00Z Wed...:

https://charts.ecmwf.int/products/fuxi_medium-mslp-rain?base_time=202401121200&interval=12&projection=opencharts_north_america&valid_time=202401130000

This particular version has been verifying fairly well of late.

Gotta admit I chuckled a bit at "FuXi" model!!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stormtracker said:

What a dumb hobby.  Why did we all get cursed with this?   Get this...there are sickos out there who don't care if it snows or not.  They have no concept of weather.  They go about their day and check an app maybe once or twice a week.   And if a storm doesn't come...they are un phased.   What must that be like?  Have yall thought about these people? They are amongst us and they are in way bigger numbers.

I think the hobby of weather snd winter weather especially is nowhere near dumb. A bit damning honestly but our very keen interests just aren't matched with very keen tools. Thats frustrating but not dumb.. DC area also needs almost everything to go right 

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

No we saw that fail a few times. But never this close in!  Honestly when i realized this morning what the issue was and why the euro was doing what it was doing I had a suspicion it was right. It was opposite its two normal biases and it was due to resolved a very delicate play between two waves. That seemed something the better physics model was more likely to be resolving. But all the models seem to be too snowy in general. 

Im march 2018 every model showed me getting 6-10” 12 hours before the storm and I got nothing!  I remember a storm in 2007 where the NAM was on an island snowing no snow when everything else showed 3-6” the day before and the NAM won.  If anything shows a bad solution that’s the most likely one. And if everything shows snow they might all be wrong.  

You said a while back that snow is an anomaly in these parts. It's stuck with me and makes alot of sense.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It is,  but not by much.   I moved back here in May.  Got nothing in this location last year.  They did get a couple inches from that Jan 2022 storm that buried DC / central VA.  20 miles NW at my location then I didn't get a flake.  And this location got about 3" slushy inches from that 2-day storm in early Feb that year.  That's the last time it snowed greater than 1/2" in Stephens City.

Same here...It's been an absolutely brutal stretch.

• Like 1