Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15th-17th 2024 Arctic Blast/Snow Event

John1122

4 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I think us north of Knoxville is transitioning to higher ratio snow. The radar looks about the same but the flake size is smaller but the intensity has picked up. Hopefully this continues SE towards @Reb .

Hope so. Half mile from my house is all snow, I’m still a rain/snow mix

• Like 1

In this area, it appears that Bays Mtn has kinda been the cutoff so far from the mix. I live in the far NW corner of Hamblen Co now at the corner of Grangier, Hamblen, and Hawkins. I’ve got a little over 4in now, but a buddy of mine out by I81 says he’s got around 2in. Hopefully the WAA will cease for all of us. It’s stayed all snow here, but I’m uncomfortably close to the line. 

7 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

On my excursion to Food City I saw one guy that made me proud.  He was in a little late 80s Ford Ranger, loaded down with miscellaneous stuff in the back with CHAINS on the rear tires.  My dude was also obeying the stop signs and traffic lights.  :guitar:

I know this truck I ain’t no stranger I know that truck it’s a FORD FUCKIN RANGER 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I think us north of Knoxville is transitioning to higher ratio snow. The radar looks about the same but the flake size is smaller but the intensity has picked up. Hopefully this continues SE towards @Reb .

Maryville is snow. Light to moderate. Am hoping for rates to increase but it’s an improvement from 11am, which was rain. The mix line is too close for comfort if you’re south of Knox imo

• Like 2

Just now, RawCrabMeat said:

Maryville is snow. Light to moderate. Am hoping for rates to increase but it’s an improvement from 11am, which was rain. The mix line is too close for comfort if you’re south of Knox imo

Should add that someone from Townsend was reporting all rain. Not that surprising

Mesoscale Discussion 0069
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
1150 AM CST Mon Jan 15 2024

Areas affected...parts of middle and eastern Tennessee

Concerning...Heavy snow

Valid 151750Z - 152045Z

SUMMARY...An area of heavier snow rates, occasionally approaching 1 inch per hour, may be maintained east-northeastward across portions of middle and eastern Tennessee through 2-4 PM CST, before gradually diminishing through early evening.

DISCUSSION...A mid-level speed maximum propagating across northern Mississippi is forecast to reach the Cumberland Plateau by early evening. This still appears associated with an area of enhanced mid/upper forcing for ascent, which might be maintained through the 20-22Z time frame while overspreading portions of middle through eastern Tennessee. Thereafter, frontogenetic forcing is forecast to generally weaken across the Tennessee Valley through southern Appalachians vicinity, yielding diminishing precipitation rates. Until then, it appears that the area of enhanced lift will include upward vertical motion maximized within the favorably cold mid-level layer (centered around or above 600 mb) for large dendritic ice crystal growth. It appears this may remain strong enough to support continuing potential for occasional heavy snow rates up to around 1 inch per hour, where lower/mid tropospheric profiles are maintained at or below freezing (roughly north of the 0 C isotherm at 859

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Mesoscale Discussion 0069
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
1150 AM CST Mon Jan 15 2024

Areas affected...parts of middle and eastern Tennessee

Concerning...Heavy snow

Valid 151750Z - 152045Z

SUMMARY...An area of heavier snow rates, occasionally approaching 1 inch per hour, may be maintained east-northeastward across portions of middle and eastern Tennessee through 2-4 PM CST, before gradually diminishing through early evening.

DISCUSSION...A mid-level speed maximum propagating across northern Mississippi is forecast to reach the Cumberland Plateau by early evening. This still appears associated with an area of enhanced mid/upper forcing for ascent, which might be maintained through the 20-22Z time frame while overspreading portions of middle through eastern Tennessee. Thereafter, frontogenetic forcing is forecast to generally weaken across the Tennessee Valley through southern Appalachians vicinity, yielding diminishing precipitation rates. Until then, it appears that the area of enhanced lift will include upward vertical motion maximized within the favorably cold mid-level layer (centered around or above 600 mb) for large dendritic ice crystal growth. It appears this may remain strong enough to support continuing potential for occasional heavy snow rates up to around 1 inch per hour, where lower/mid tropospheric profiles are maintained at or below freezing (roughly north of the 0 C isotherm at 859

artworks-000202027626-t54pao-t500x500.jp

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic