• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential extensive winter event, I-95 west and with again a chance for NYC first inch(es) of snow Mon or more likely Tue Jan 16, 2024 (serves as OBS thread as well)

wdrag

I think the calls that models and forecasters busted a premature. Off by an inch? That's simply within the realm of error when it comes to snowfall forecasting. We did pretty good on LI, now sleeting here in Yaphank area. It's always better not use snowfall maps from models as they do not account for anything other than qpf. Snowfall habit and other characteristics are never handled well by models. The other thing this ended up being a little more banded over stratiform. It wasn't necessarily dry air moreso how the forcing evolved. Enjoy the snow that's out there! And finally that ridiculous stat is broken. CPK got 1.8 in that event last February but it was over 2 calendar days. So tired of hearing about the snowless streak when it snowed, just under an inch in two back to back days 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Two different spots, 2.2 on my sidewalk and about 3.1 on the top of my car. Don’t know the “official” way to measure but I’m pretty pumped. Light snow all in all but wonderful after this two year stretch. 

The proper way is on a snow board every 6 hours but the 3.1 sounds like the more correct measurement. 

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Increasing rates here. CC shows it mixing as the burst ends. Maybe the heavier precip can stay snow and lighter stuff will be the mix. 

Along the water its a mix,just inland its prob snow. The east end is already at or just a tad above freezing.

27 minutes ago, SBUWX23 said:

I think the calls that models and forecasters busted a premature. Off by an inch? That's simply within the realm of error when it comes to snowfall forecasting. We did pretty good on LI, now sleeting here in Yaphank area. It's always better not use snowfall maps from models as they do not account for anything other than qpf. Snowfall habit and other characteristics are never handled well by models. The other thing this ended up being a little more banded over stratiform. It wasn't necessarily dry air moreso how the forcing evolved. Enjoy the snow that's out there! And finally that ridiculous stat is broken. CPK got 1.8 in that event last February but it was over 2 calendar days. So tired of hearing about the snowless streak when it snowed, just under an inch in two back to back days 

I hate that too, especially because starting a new day at midnight is so subjective.  Why don't they measure storm totals instead of daily totals? The daily totals should be completely done away with.