• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco 2: Total Obliteration is Coming

Jebman

I just think it's a good sign that the kicker seemed to at least relax a bit at 18z, even if it didn't give us a huge hit. Honestly, wouldn't be the worst if some weak kicker (much weaker than 12z euro) stuck around to prevent over amping it and risking getting too much of what the GFS is selling - there's still enough time to lose this to the NW even if right now we're worried about suppression. I know that makes it more complicated but at least right now the entire subforum is within the goalposts on it, so if we can just trend inward to the meeting point of models, we're sitting quite nicely I think.

• Haha 1

Nina's after a Nino are actually a myth. 

Since 1948, The MAM ONI to SON ONI has gone >+1.1 19 times (this is the 20th time). I had previously thought there was a strong tendency for ENSO-state to reverse the next year, but ENSO is probably more of a 1+ year continuum, albeit seasonal things like typical late-Winter weakening.. Of those 19 events, 8/19 (42%) saw the same ENSO state the following year [+14 months NDJ ONI], 6/19 (32%) were Neutral, and 5/19 (26%) reversed to the opposite ENSO state.

• Weenie 1

Just now, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Even alone 0.25 on a QPF mean all snow at day is 5 is good.  And it’s better being on the NW side of the envelope than on the SE side of a snow potential with raging southerly mid level flow.  

And if the euro is suppressed, that 0.25 is quite possibly coming into a much colder environment with ratios better than 10:1.

35 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

to be honest, a Niña after a strong Nino might actually be pretty interesting. but no reason in entertaining that until we pass the spring predictability barrier anyway

All 5 examples sucked in DC. Last one was 3”. The only thing interesting would be the weenie meltdowns in here. 

We haven’t had a snowy La Niña in 24 years!  And the only 2 in the last 50 years were +pdo -QBO winters!  

• Like 1

Just because I hate myself that much about a month ago I looked at where we were likely heading with QBO, enso, PDO, AMO and solar. And I used the same matrix I always use to identify the 5 best analogs.  There is a reason I didn’t share. I figured I’d keep my nightmares to myself.  But since you asked.  here ya go 

Analog h5
IMG_0904.png.58d6e078a8a642a954906a45da3b60c6.png
analog temps 
IMG_0905.png.52a003016c5ef64e812e02566534f04a.png
DC Avg snow 3” 
sweet dreams 

My gut feeling is different

I’m looking at winters after moderate ninos

95-96 04-05 2010-11

87-88 66-67

4 minutes ago, Ji said:

My gut feeling is different

I’m looking at winters after moderate ninos

95-96 04-05 2010-11

87-88 66-67

We seem to be hitting -NAO's more often, but they are being overwhelmed.  I think this +Nao/+pna-epo .. or -Nao/-pna+epo correlation is going to hold.

If you look at the clouds... about 2-3 years ago we starting getting more cloud thickness. I think that is a long term graduation program. We still have a ways to go to detox all this snow-melt seasons, but I think we are trending toward something more favorable a few years down the road. 

51 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Day 5 WPC. Look at when they issued it. They had to have seen the 12z euro before issuing

IMG_5870.gif.cc860291a4f9e1f06551678c83b10935.gif

As a heads up, these maps are resent to include our hemispheric fronts created from our Alaska desk. The fronts over the CONUS by our day shift medium range forecaster (Rausch, if you look at the Fronts tab on the homepage) is identical compared to this one. The new fronts and pressure from night shift likely won't make the web for a couple more hours, and the overnight forecaster would use the 12/18Z guidance as their foundation for this next set of fronts/pressures forecasts. Usually these fronts and pressures have to be sent out before the new suite of 00Z guidance comes in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, wxmvpete said:

As a heads up, these maps are resent to include our hemispheric fronts created from our Alaska desk. The fronts over the CONUS by our day shift medium range forecaster (Rausch, if you look at the Fronts tab on the homepage) is identical compared to this one. The new fronts and pressure from night shift likely won't make the web for a couple more hours, and the overnight forecaster would use the 12/128Z guidance as their foundation for these forecasts. Usually these fronts and pressures have to be sent out before the new suite of 00Z guidance, in this case, guidance comes in.

Got it, thanks for the clarification. 

Tangentially related, I read a couple of AFDs noting the suppressed 12z/18z euro track but called it an outlier and didn’t want to jump on it yet, just monitoring that trend for now

• Like 2

also, way out there, but this is a good overrunning setup on the GEFS. departing Arctic air, -EPO, TPV nearby, and a potent southern stream vort

i can see an overrunning event as the pattern totally decays. although there is a 500mb zonal ridge, surface cold air can easily remain

IMG_4200.thumb.png.9206780fcb0c0f5936854ca3bb41d2b8.png

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic