• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

3 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

12z GFS snowiest run yet for MBY. But most definitely, tossing the snow output as far as I can. We will be lucky to see a consolation inch at the very end. Looks good though for I-80 on north.

GFS has been super consistent. I’m sure we’ll get rain but it’s nice the GFS keeps me interested hyper locally 

1 minute ago, Lightning said:

I am hoping we can get a 6" or so solid/glacier like base on the ground which the LES will freshen up.  

Temp will probably top out around 35. It's hard to say, but I'm not expecting much now. 

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

Temp will probably top out around 35. It's hard to say, but I'm not expecting much now. 

If we don't lose the snow currently on the ground it should help.  Starting from bare wet ground :yikes:

7 minutes ago, KeenerWx said:

Sounds like consensus is to throw out all the models. :lol:

That’s typical though, right? :D

But nah, my contention is throwing away the snowfall output, particularly for this area. GFS always too “cold”. And when you’re on the very southern edge of depicted snow, well you know how that goes 99% of the time. It’s gonna be a cold heavy rain here with a few flakes at the tail end.

Farther north and west, looks good. My thinking for most of NE IL north of I-80 has been 6-10”. Hopefully it overachieves for them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

Oh what could have been. Final call: 5”

Hedging my bets that warm air is going to win out for quite a while tomorrow. Also ratios will be trash when it does snow. It appears the best bands of snow come through as the low is departing and by then it’s too little to late. Lake effect doesn’t seem all that impressive despite a  good setup at first glance. Winds will probably shred the flakes apart making for pixie dust.

4 minutes ago, Lightning said:

If we don't lose the snow currently on the ground it should help.  Starting from bare wet ground :yikes:

There's a possibility of something interesting. I think the best spot in Michigan will be around Houghton Lake.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what is going to happen here, but every model at this point but the Euro brings snow to SE MI as dynamic cooling takes effect as the low strengthens and has flow from the east or northeast. I am just a bit gun shy from the complete failure of Wednesday but the difference this time is the precip rates should be much more considerable, compared to the precip rates on Wednesday which were weak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

12z Ukie is pretty far east. Jackpots northern Indiana and SW lower MI. FWIW of course…

12z Canadian models went north/west in their runs.

Always loved the English. Tough forecast, innit? Bob’s your uncle. Pip pip cheerio.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Love having a huge storm incoming that we will basically have to nowcast.

Fr I like your call of 8ish but this is so silly again, I was hoping for a slam dunk kind of situation just once. Oh well, unless things go super north and warm after all I think we're in a better spot than the majority of posters here sooo

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I honestly don't know what is going to happen here, but every model at this point but the Euro brings snow to SE MI as dynamic cooling takes effect as the low strengthens and has flow from the east or northeast. I am just a bit gun shy from the complete failure of Wednesday but the difference this time is the precip rates should be much more considerable, compared to the precip rates on Wednesday which were weak.

Yeah early week did not turn out well at all. Would nighttime have a good effect on the cooling? Find it hard to believe that we will be pushing 40-42 at midnight 1am.

7 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

Fr I like your call of 8ish but this is so silly again, I was hoping for a slam dunk kind of situation just once. Oh well, unless things go super north and warm after all I think we're in a better spot than the majority of posters here sooo

Agree with you 100%. Have some family flying out this weekend from O'Hare and 4 inches of snow overnight Friday with wind AM Saturday is just as bad as 6 inches. So the storm gets to a point where it is bad no matter what. The mixing and flake quality is key I think. Get a few hours of rippage and toss in a cooler airmass behind (different from last storm) and some wind and you'll have more impacts even if we get the same amount around here as the Monday storm. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Yeah early week did not turn out well at all. Would nighttime have a good effect on the cooling? Find it hard to believe that we will be pushing 40-42 at midnight 1am.

Advection will overpower nocturnal cooling. We will warm up, it just depends on which model as to how brief it will be.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

At the same time, it seems realistic to think that dynamic cooling will occur in the late afternoon/early evening with those rates. 

Yeah but eventually warm air advection will win out.

• Like 1