• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 11-13th Blizzard

Those 00z runs were almost unanimous on a top 5 type snowstorm for Chicago and a wide swath of the Midwest. This thing is an absolute nuke when that shortwave kicks negative tilt and the mass evacuation really intensifies.

The PV streamer into this thing is going to be a sight to behold on near-term guidance/satellite.

• Like 4

LIST of TOP SNOWFALLS (storm totals) first in reverse chronological order:

January 31-February 2, 2015 19.3"
January 31-February 2, 2011 21.2"
January 21-23, 2005 11.2"
January 30-31, 2002 12.0"
February 18, 2000 11.1"
January 1-3, 1999 21.6"
February 10-11, 1981 11.2"
January 13-14, 1979 18.8"
February 6-7, 1978 10.3"
January 25-27, 1978 12.4"
January 9-10, 1977 10.9"
April 1-2, 1970 10.7"
March 25-26, 1970 14.3"
December 22-23, 1969 11.3"
January 26-27, 1967 23.0"
February 23-25, 1965 11.5"
December 22-23, 1961 11.7"
December 19-20, 1960 12.5"
March 2-3, 1954 11.8"
December 14, 1951 10.0"
December 5-8, 1950 13.3"
December 10-11, 1944 10.9"
January 30, 1939 14.9"
December 9-10, 1934 11.3"
February 6-7, 1933 12.7"
March 7-8, 1931 16.2"
March 25-26, 1930 19.2"
December 17-20, 1929 15.0"
March 30-31, 1926 12.6"
January 6-7, 1918 14.9"
January 12-14, 1910 10.2"
February 18-19, 1908 12.8"
December 12-13, 1903 11.6"
February 3-5, 1901 12.7"
February 28, 1900 11.3"
March 23-24, 1897 10.0"
February 12-13, 1896 12.0"
February 3-4, 1896 12.5"
November 25-26, 1895 12.0"
February 6-7, 1895 13.4"
December 27, 1894 10.1"
February 12-14, 1894 11.0"
January 18-20, 1886 14.0"

... and then in order of total snowfall ...             

1. Jan 26-27 1967 ______ 23.0"                           

2. Jan 1-3 1999 _________21.6"                            

3. Jan 31-Feb 2 2011 ___ 21.2"                           

4. Jan 31-Feb 2 2015 ___ 19.3"                           

5. March 25-26 1930 ___ 19.2"                            

6. January 13-14 1979 __ 18.8"                           

7. March 7-8 1931 _______ 16.2"                          

8. Dec 17-20 1929 _______15.0"                           

t9. Jan 6-7 1918 ________ 14.9"                           

t9. Jan 30 1939 _________ 14.9"                          

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyhb said:

Those 00z runs were almost unanimous on a top 5 type snowstorm for Chicago and a wide swath of the Midwest. This thing is an absolute nuke when that shortwave kicks negative tilt and the mass evacuation really intensifies.

The PV streamer into this thing is going to be a sight to behold on near-term guidance/satellite.

I used to live in Chicago and am coming out Thursday to chase - unfortunately the 6z GFS lurched E and SE by a fairly sizable amount and left Chicago with reduced impacts as the center now moves over central Ohio vs. Indy. It's just one model run but don't like seeing that as we get towards showtime. 

Anyone catch Tom Skilling mention this yet? One of my favorite memories was him discussing the GHD blizzard as soon as the EURO starting showing it a long ways out.
I remember it and it was the best. Let's send him off with an all-timer.

The normally reserved and conservative Todd H. at IWX is onboard, throwing weenies a bone (or is that a bun) in his overnight discussion.

"...focus turns to potential snowpocalypse Fri-Sat."

"...an anonymously moist return moisture plume as delineated in explicit deterministic qpfs Fri-Sat, highlighting the potential for a blockbuster snowstorm for much of the area."

When he's all in, I'm all in.

• Weenie 1

Definitely don't like the Euro overamplified look, but I will say it was overamplified with the current system at this junction too. The GFS is probably a more reasonable solution just because the rarity of getting a low as strong as the Euro that far south and the GFS did pretty well with the current system where as a lot of other models had the low further north.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Definitely don't like the Euro overamplified look, but I will say it was overamplified with the current system at this junction too. The GFS is probably a more reasonable solution just because the rarity of getting a low as strong as the Euro that far south and the GFS did pretty well with the current system where as a lot of other models had the low further north.

Been wondering this the whole time tbh. As much fun as it's been to watch, the climatology part of my brain has been rattling with the fact that it's just so unusual to see such an amplified system in that part of the region. Not saying it couldn't happen, but given the current background state (system today + disturbance Thursday + eastern ridging possibly playing a hand too) and past history, does it make sense?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, geddyweather said:

Been wondering this the whole time tbh. As much fun as it's been to watch, the climatology part of my brain has been rattling with the fact that it's just so unusual to see such an amplified system in that part of the region. Not saying it couldn't happen, but given the current background state (system today + disturbance Thursday + eastern ridging possibly playing a hand too) and past history, does it make sense?

Yeah I am not saying it can't happen either but looking at how the models handled the current system one would have to think the Euro is overcooked.

• Like 2

I thought this was interesting from DTX:

Still early to expect high forecast confidence as the
event appears dependent on the interaction of a strong shortwave
through Mexico and very strong trough digging southward across the
Canadian Rockies. What is interesting is that both of these
potential vorticity maxima appear to be born out of a Pacific trough
sometime Wednesday.
The potential exists for heavy snowfall across
the area and significant winter impacts this weekend.

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I thought this was interesting from DTX:

Still early to expect high forecast confidence as the
event appears dependent on the interaction of a strong shortwave
through Mexico and very strong trough digging southward across the
Canadian Rockies. What is interesting is that both of these
potential vorticity maxima appear to be born out of a Pacific trough
sometime Wednesday.
The potential exists for heavy snowfall across
the area and significant winter impacts this weekend.

What would be a good analog for this storm? Seems like it might get moisture from Gulf and Atlantic 

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Hoping it won't end up more suppressed like the 06z gfs run and miss a lot of the nw subforum. Need a nice spread the wealth storm for us. 

5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Hoping it won't end up more suppressed like the 06z gfs run and miss a lot of the nw subforum. Need a nice spread the wealth storm for us. 

I would like that too, everyone wins everyone is happy. Today is pretty much everyone loses no one is happy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Kinda surprised models like NAM and Euro are showing precip type issues so north with this. Thinking after models resolve this current system and its snow pack it may resolve those issues better. 

take a peak around 850, the somewhat overstated cold for this system comes a bit later or just in time depending on timing/how u look at it. the antecedent isn't great, certainly nothing those kind of 850 winds can't handle and i don't see some snowpack moving that needle anyways

it's mostly a timing game as always

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

What would be a good analog for this storm? Seems like it might get moisture from Gulf and Atlantic 

Im not a good analog person lol. I can tell you how much snow fell when, but cant tell you the origin of it. I mean, we got 16.7" from a bowling ball type storm GHDII and have had many gulf lows produce the general 6-12.

Also, will be interesting to see how LES performs in the storms wake.

8 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

take a peak around 850, the somewhat overstated cold for this system comes a bit later or just in time depending on timing/how u look at it. the antecedent isn't great, certainly nothing those kind of 850 winds can't handle and i don't see some snowpack moving that needle anyways

it's mostly a timing game as always

Yeah all valid points man. I haven't dove deep into this setup because I figured models will be flip flopping till this first system moves out. I was guessing the issue was aloft but still surprised the isotherm gets above 0C this north with where the low tracks. But it is a powerful system and models often underestimate WAA. I definitely think the snowpack could set up a nice baroclinic zone for the next system to follow. I anticipate it will track further south than this ongoing storm.