• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Monitoring first regional significant winter impact event. Magnitude likely tempered. At this time NE PA/SE NY and SNE primarily. Jan 7/8.

Typhoon Tip

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Also, this could also be a storm where someone like me sees more than you because of distance from the water, even though you are well north of here 

That can happen as well. Although this time, it's slightly cooler aloft here I think. But yeah south side of town can definitely have more. I saw that in March 2018 in that second event that brought the heavy wet snow. 

2 minutes ago, JoeSnowBOS said:

Not Logan. That’s for sure. Perhaps that 5-8 best case is as close as maybe Natick but prob not.

Again if it comes down hard and that CCB cranks in the aftn, lower range of that certainly achievable.

2 minutes ago, JoeSnowBOS said:

Not Logan. That’s for sure. Perhaps that 5-8 best case is as close as maybe Natick but prob not.

There will certainly be a tight gradient around there. Right along the water totals will be much less but you go a few miles inland and they'll probably get several inches. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

:lol: Well, you can't measure more frequently than 6 hour intervals if you want it to be legit....I adhered to that in March 2018 my 31" was still tossed.

I had like 25" settled at the end of that. Fluffiest deep pack I've seen around here. 31" was reasonable measuring every 6hr. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

:lol: Well, you can't measure more frequently than 6 hour intervals if you want it to be legit....I adhered to that in March 2018 my 31" was still tossed.

Lol ya I mean to the average person (not us) those snow depth maps are pretty accurate bc they don’t measure until like hour 12+ probably.  But for us the reality probably falls in between the snow depth map and a Kuchera and even 10:1 sometimes, every event is different. 

• Like 1

I live in west Somerville but work mostly out in East Somerville and East Cambridge. I have plowed my driveway with 2 or 3" and driven 3 miles east to be met with a dusting or sometimes rain.  I don't think it will be that bad but I do expect a gradient. 

14 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I never know which of these I should use.

regardless, feeling good for where I sit.  And and GYX might have been on target with their forecast.  I thought they were way overshooting.

They look good actually and have not made any changes yet.

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I had the exact, same peak settled depth. It was absurd that they tossed it.

Lol I remember when Pete Bouchard defended your measurement on the air in that storm. Was a cool gesture by him…but he explained that the depth was totally consistent with the 6-hourly measurement when you had fluffy dendrites like that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoeSnowBOS said:

EURO becoming less of a tool to use given we are close to game time. Can still use but short range models to me are best at this point

Depends on one's preference. I can still use medium/long-range models up to 24 hours before direct onset of snow. They are still actually fairly reliable. Then of course, I start looking at short range models such as you do.

• Like 1

hmmm I just realized I mistake I may have made earlier when looking at the NAM fronto. Been looking all around at 700mb frontogenesis maps. The focus here is going to be more in the 850-700mb layer than it would be 700-600 or 700-550mb layer. I just looked at the 850 fronto and its pretty wild. Great news too is lift would be strong enough to punch into the DGZ.