Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 Banter

George BM

6 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Coming back from Spain Wednesday and will be depressed after a great trip. But the chance (emphasis) of a MECS over the weekend will help take the sting out. Doesn’t snow much in Barcelona. But what a great city!

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Haven’t been to Barcelona, but I love Spain. It’s wrongly way too low on American’s European travel destinations.

Agree with you both. I've gone once but just to Barcelona/Catalonia. Great city! Loved the whole area.

6 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

JI Melts is basically a free square. Almost cheating 

So is EJ.  It can be used as a drinking game too.  The goal of making it was to win or get shitfaced.  either way its a win

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Coming back from Spain Wednesday and will be depressed after a great trip. But the chance (emphasis) of a MECS over the weekend will help take the sting out. Doesn’t snow much in Barcelona. But what a great city!

I love Spain. Where did you go? I've been to Seville and Bilbao. Both cities are a total contrast from each other, really interesting. And during the afternoon siestas, entire cities go really quiet and almost nothing is open.

When I was at the Madrid airport about to leave, it started snowing. It was March.

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

Guys, I’m not saying to discount the ICON, but there’s a reason we don’t include it in our verification stats for deterministic at the National Center. It’s like the NAM of the globals. 

OT: has the National Center started looking at any of the newer AI tools?

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

OT: has the National Center started looking at any of the newer AI tools?

Yes we have! They are helpful with forecasting in the medium range and are gaining steam on being an integral piece in decision making at leads. ECMWF has a great set of AI tools we utilize. 

• Like 1

Yes we have! They are helpful with forecasting in the medium range and are gaining steam on being an integral piece in decision making at leads. ECMWF has a great set of AI tools we utilize. 

I've got one site stood up by Colorado State's program that has a couple AI tools, but it's a little clunky. (https://aiweather.cira.colostate.edu/

Is there anything else better that's publicly available, as far as you know? I did think someone shared a link to the Euro-related AI outputs but I've totally lost track of it

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I've got one site stood up by Colorado State's program that has a couple AI tools, but it's a little clunky. (https://aiweather.cira.colostate.edu/

Is there anything else better that's publicly available, as far as you know? I did think someone shared a link to the Euro-related AI outputs but I've totally lost track of it

That ECMWF site is probably the best right now for public use. I’m sure there are others, but some are behind secure networks that you need authorization for. We are in testing mode for a lot of these and one of the cool parts of graduate studies is there is more emphasis on AI for use in operational settings. I can see them being incredible helpful in 5-10 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

It’s wild. And parsing ICON data is wild to me. That model is terrible. 

The anticipation for each model run, along with the results of it and the subsequent analysis, is pretty darn close to my favorite parts of this hobby. When it's actually snowing is cool too, don't get me wrong, but I'm in it for the battle. So I'll parse any darn thing I can get my hands on. Speaking of which, the Australian looks OK

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

The anticipation for each model run, along with the results of it and the subsequent analysis, is pretty darn close to my favorite parts of this hobby. When it's actually snowing is cool too, don't get me wrong, but I'm in it for the battle. So I'll parse any darn thing I can get my hands on. Speaking of which, the Australian looks OK

I’m always looking for the Brazilian model to base my entire forecast on 

• Haha 1

I need to go to Spain so bad. I know someone who lives in Barcelona and they said they would house us if we came over. Might have to take advantage of that!! 

All depends what you are interested in. Sagrada Familia if you go to Barcelona. 

• Like 1

Every time there's a marginal event, the folks who live 50 miles north and west of the cities tell everyone not to worry when there's a wobble that moves the rain/snow line 10 miles to the NW. Of course, snow in a MBY thing...and freaking out should be kept for the Panic Room, but I do wish that some folks realized that there are plenty (a majority?) of people on the boards live in the potential screw zone and have a reason to be concerned.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I love Spain. Where did you go? I've been to Seville and Bilbao. Both cities are a total contrast from each other, really interesting. And during the afternoon siestas, entire cities go really quiet and almost nothing is open.

When I was at the Madrid airport about to leave, it started snowing. It was March.

10 year anniversary next year (Actully 11th but couldn't this year) we are going to the South Coast, Marbella.  Super pumped.

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

GFS a tick better perhaps though 99.

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

GFS looks to have slightly less confluence and a little warmer through 102

3 hours is an eternity

• Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic