Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Yes, its an OP but what a gnarly west based -NAO its spitting out in the MR.  Yes, I’m sure many will freak out at the surface depiction of another cutter but I’ll take my chances with a -NAO like this as we approach prime climo.

image.thumb.png.ba9a68a599662c0d096b10523ec2153b.png

I don’t mind cutters when it’s cold in se Canada 

For years the mjo has done us no good. When the patterns been crap often we’ve filled up pages with hope for an mjo wave headed for 8/1 to save us. It’s never done a damn thing. Usually the wave dies and barely makes it because the base state was hostile to central pac forcing. But even when it did make it at most we would get only a slight dent in the pattern. Maybe it went from god awful to just awful. Then before it did much more than that the wave moved on and we were back to god awful. 

So now that we have a Nino and a favorable pattern and forcing base state I hear a drum beat of “the mjo is gonna wreck it” by some. Yea ok. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

For years the mjo has done us no good. When the patterns been crap often we’ve filled up pages with hope for an mjo wave headed for 8/1 to save us. It’s never done a damn thing. Usually the wave dies and barely makes it because the base state was hostile to central pac forcing. But even when it did make it at most we would get only a slight dent in the pattern. Maybe it went from god awful to just awful. Then before it did much more than that the wave moved on and we were back to god awful. 

So now that we have a Nino and a favorable pattern and forcing base state I hear a drum beat of “the mjo is gonna wreck it” by some. Yea ok. 

I admit to not knowing all the nuances of the MJO, though do know the "warm" and "cold" phases...and don't know how much the ENSO state alters that.  But I have noticed what you're saying here in the past few years.  I can't remember which winter it was recently, but I definitely recall where the MJO was supposed to go into the favorable 8-1-2 phases, and at ridiculously high amplitude.  There was a good bit of talk about how that would turn things around and lots of hope, blah blah blah...and in the end, not much changed.  I'm not saying that the MJO is useless or unimportant by any means, but I just don't know how much of a role it plays or how it modulates depending on various states (ENSO, blocking, etc.).

ETA:  I have noticed that when things look like shit, there's all kinds of attention paid to the MJO as well as the state of the stratospheric vortex and whether it will be disrupted, etc.  When things are doing fine, you don't hear anything about those, or very little.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ji said:

Anthony just ended winter bc20233d3a5ee3c893a3c68d0caaa6fc.jpg

While that scenario would hurt...at least it wouldn't go in the book as being because we're warming, lol It would just be really, REALLY crappy luck. But hopefully that won't happen (or we get another shot with the next one)

BTW is HM using a different handle or was this posted somewhere else?

This is why I hope he wasn't being completely serious/trolling vs him actually seeing something that would indicate such an outcome.

I took it as more they will get a snowstorm first, not that we won’t get any snow. Ji took this as an opportunity for his 500th end of winter call for the season.

I admit to not knowing all the nuances of the MJO, though do know the "warm" and "cold" phases...and don't know how much the ENSO state alters that.  But I have noticed what you're saying here in the past few years.  I can't remember which winter it was recently, but I definitely recall where the MJO was supposed to go into the favorable 8-1-2 phases, and at ridiculously high amplitude.  There was a good bit of talk about how that would turn things around and lots of hope, blah blah blah...and in the end, not much changed.  I'm not saying that the MJO is useless or unimportant by any means, but I just don't know how much of a role it plays or how it modulates depending on various states (ENSO, blocking, etc.).
ETA:  I have noticed that when things look like shit, there's all kinds of attention paid to the MJO as well as the state of the stratospheric vortex and whether it will be disrupted, etc.  When things are doing fine, you don't hear anything about those, or very little.
I think it was late last winter we went into the tank...with a strong phase 8/1

We didn't get jack

But had a cold spring

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

I don’t see much hope over the next 10-12 days. Pac is screwing us again even with the monster block. MJO no good. Imo It’s whether we can score between 18th and beyond once the lower heights finally migrate east. Certainly have the risk of going cold and dry before pattern reset though. Who knows. Frustrating honestly. Maybe I’ll ride up to the poconos tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised some of you are already just writing off the period around next weekend. It feels like the models haven't come close to figuring out exactly how it'll play out, particularly with all this action in the week leading up to it. 

19 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I'm surprised some of you are already just writing off the period around next weekend. It feels like the models haven't come close to figuring out exactly how it'll play out, particularly with all this action in the week leading up to it. 

Probably looking at MLK day and beyond for legit opportunities. Ensemble guidance has been very consistent with the western/central US trough and storm track to our west through next weekend. The storm around MLK day could offer some frozen potential, esp if there is a trailing wave scenario. That is the timeframe where colder air will be pressing eastward.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Heisy said:

I don’t see much hope over the next 10-12 days. Pac is screwing us again even with the monster block. MJO no good. Imo It’s whether we can score between 18th and beyond once the lower heights finally migrate east. Certainly have the risk of going cold and dry before pattern reset though. Who knows. Frustrating honestly. Maybe I’ll ride up to the poconos tomorrow.

This is not breaking news. Have you been paying attention?

• Like 8

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Probably looking at MLK day and beyond for legit opportunities. Ensemble guidance has been very consistent with the western/central US trough and storm track to our west through next weekend. The storm around MLK day could offer some frozen potential, esp if there is a trailing wave scenario. That is the timeframe where colder air will be pressing eastward.

Sadly, I admit I am bummed to see winter hit out West first with such a fury. The - AO and the - NAO have only muted the warmth here. 

I am interested to see whether Tomer's stats about the peak of a - NAO and its relationship afterward on average to Mid Atlantic  snowstorms. He stated 3 to 5 days after the - NAO peak is when to watch for a possible threat.  That would be near the 18 th to the 22nd.   

Meanwhile he also posted this about the failed early Jan SSWE.    

Jim chimes in with how active it is going to be in the States over the next 10 to 15 days. Next Weds looks like a high wind threat here  followed by a second cutter, and then a third system near hour 240 on the high resolution ECM. which I am not sure how that will play out. 

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Agreed, we knew it was going to happen, but in the last 24 to 72 hours the arctic cold trended even further West.  

Seems as if wave breaking and the Greenland block pushed the arctic air further WSW in Canada. I imagine if things were different upstream,  and if the PAC profile was more favorable the colder airmass would have come further East,  versus further West.   

13 minutes ago, CAPE said:

No...no he hasn't but he's one of those that makes the bold proclamations that it won't snow then claims victory when it doesn't literally choosing the easiest path to despair.  Here's my prediction...every winter it doesn't snow most days and in fact will rain more often. I'll claim victory on this call in March 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1