• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

EPS is basically just as sweet but I like the PAC on the GEPS better. The entire d10-15 period looks amazing from a pattern evolution perspective. I mentioned this in the last couple days that the PAC was primed to get right and this panel shows it perfectly. Split flow, all 3 streams meeting somewhere in the middle of the conus, potential shortwaves aimed at us from the pole, pac nw, and some pineapple connection. The magnitude of the west based block showing up at long leads is jaw dropping at this point. Lovin this man. 

image.thumb.png.c612e16b7eae8351412cfb3f1fc2d7f9.png

Screenshot_20240102-063153_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b01a0688c9e5d53345359a06137116b7.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We've seen this stuff in past morph into a weaker solution with a front end thump/dryslot. Ops often back down on strength with big cutters a week out. Get a modest wedge with snow on the ground and I can easily see it be a mixed event with decent accums (2-5"). We've had many in the past buy they aren't too memorable because of dryslot drizzledrip and slush when it shuts off. 

Either way it looks like a juicy storm cutting west is in the works no matter what. We'll see how it goes 

Exactly what I said multiple times last night. Snow on the ground = at least some cad and the scenario you wrote 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CAPE said:

lol at the whole jinx thing on a science based board. It is time for a thread. The threat is legit, and it keeps this thread from getting too cluttered.

Considering we aren’t even able to name anthropogenic climate change when discussing climo is it really a surprise we believe in thread jinxes? 

• Weenie 1

Just now, Heisy said:

We gotta get through the cutter on the 9th, then see how far west and south the cold dumps around the 11th, but after that we should be in full tracking between 13-20th and beyond

32cd0032acf35e2772f96e8ee108b498.jpg

Weren't we in full tracking mode for this weekend until this mornings Euro? Question is if the storm for the 4th is already changing and that is affecting the storm on the 7th then why won't those constant changes mess with the long range? Same ensembles had Saturday looking pretty sweet just yesterday....just sayin man

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Heisy said:

While this isn’t bad you can see more pronounced SE ridge vs older runs. See what GEFS and eps have to say

e35e6fd1699389f2d33a38ce2d09b12c.jpg

That’s good in this case! We don’t want the PV squashing everything to Florida. That weak SE ridge keeps the baroclinic zone nearby. I kinda like that look a lot…

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Omg is a +PNA trying to form???? Prob get some front Enders like others said. KU risk towards end of pattern change as usual. Pretty awesome look come mid month off the GEPS

790408b73fba8cadb4c39175e5b06f5f.jpg

Geps couldn’t be any different then the gefs at day 10. Big battle out west going on for mid month 

14 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

eps couldn’t be any different then the gefs at day 10. Big battle out west going on for mid month 

I thought last I read it was the EPS and GEPS versus the GEFS.  Also, thought I read the GEFS was trending to the EPS in the long range.    

Period of interest was near and after the 20th.  I for one believe we must have the Pac on our side to get snow, versus anything else.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frd said:

I thought last I read it was the EPS and GEPS versus the GEFS.  Also, thought I read the GEFS was trending to the EPS in the long range.    

Period of interest was near and after the 20th.  I for one believe we must have the Pac on our side to get snow, versus anything else.  

Agree with your last sentence 

• Like 1

It's been since March 2018 that we had -NAO-based trough/cold in the east. Every other time it has happened with a -PNA or +EPO and we have gone warmer.. I don't really see this trend stopping, the correlation is close to 0.40 since 2019. My roll forwards did show the Pacific changing around 1-19.. The GEFS starts doing it 1-18. But the -NAO happens on the model 1-8/17 with it looks like a slight SE ridge. This is something that I think is going to stick, (we are in the heart of this cycle). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frd said:

Geps and eps continue to look great. Gefs still not there yet 

• Thanks 1