Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan Medium/Long Range Disco: Winter is coming

stormtracker

Just now, Ji said:

This could be a season saving storm. Without out we are looking at 2 cutters and no snow by January 15z.

This storm is critical. We could be at above average snow on Monday for the season

It’s like your fantasy rb scoring a td in the first quarter if it happens

As I recall it's rare to get a big one (10"+) before the 2nd half of January. Another reason to be cautious.

As I recall it's rare to get a big one (10"+) before the 2nd half of January. Another reason to be cautious.

We don’t need 10. Even 6 would be huge and still be at slightly above normal for season

5 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

I'm 80-90% confident that there will be a steep gradient in snowfall within a 20 mile range, or even less. I just hope most of us will be on the left side of it.

Based on history...this sure smells like one of those 1-3" to rain in cities more n & w to me (not trying to be a Deb though). I mean, we are at the beginning of a favorable pattern change...I wonder it it's a tad early for I-95. But hey, maybe I'm just rambling, lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 3

3 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

i would be remiss to not mention this. this is a legit KU level block. 3 sigma at 12 days out is insane

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_norm_anom-5082400.thumb.png.d8cbdd4e3dba25a910adda879c350a4d.png

Storms would track NW with the trough in that position though.

This is where it would really get good for the MA as advertised. More mature NA block with lower heights shifting into the 50-50 position, and the Aleutian low is in a better spot with a ridge building towards the western US. If this is real the latter part of Jan is gonna be interesting.

1705384800-yGQOF9QGsTE.png

• Like 6

All the Nino storms this season have been modeled well…..just relax

I’m relaxed Ji… haha. I’ve probably been one of the most optimistic folks in here regarding this threat. Just wish we were closer than 5 days is all.

Just now, stormtracker said:

I’m on the beach and this board is taking 1000 hours to load. Somebody give me a quick summary.  Whoever is first gets a ban immunity for 30 days. 

If you’re in Mexico then, you’re screwed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I’m on the beach and this board is taking 1000 hours to load. Somebody give me a quick summary.  Whoever is first gets a ban immunity for 30 days. 

The surface is pretty warm. I doubt I-95 sees accumulating snowfall, but models are holding on

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 8

The surface is pretty warm. I doubt I-95 sees accumulating snowfall, but models are holding on

The new Ji…

Rates overcome marginal surface temps as mid levels stay cold enough. Has happened many times before. I-95 gets a mauling of precip, which mitigates that issue. As depicted, that’s heavy snow at 33 degrees, not rain.

It’s not a lock, but if the storm evolves as the GFS depicts, DC to Baltimore would see warning level snowfall with more snow to the WNW.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

Yeah, the temp maps verbatim have most of the region (east of the blue ridge) above freezing during the bulk of the heavy snowfall.

It’s already trended colder than 72 hours ago. Plus at this range guidance is often too warm in the boundary layer in the cold sector under heavy precip.  It could trend colder. But we’re not really supposed to talk about temps. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Rates overcome marginal surface temps as mid levels stay cold enough. Has happened many times before. I-95 gets a mauling of precip, which mitigates that issue. As depicted, that’s heavy snow at 33 degrees, not rain.

It’s not a lock, but if the storm evolves as the GFS depicts, DC to Baltimore would see warning level snowfall with more snow to the WNW.

You guys should know what to look at in trend. There is a reason the NWS identifies index regions as special in their analysis, because these often don't fluctuate as much, and dictate future model trends. You would think the model would be updated by now but it's not

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

You guys should know what to look at in trend. There is a reason the NWS identifies index regions as special in their analysis, because these often don't fluctuate as much, and dictate model trends

We've been looking at how this is trending, too. It has trended colder with a stronger high up north. I've been harping on this for 2 days now.

• Like 11

You guys should know what to look at in trend. There is a reason the NWS identifies index regions as special in their analysis, because these often don't fluctuate as much, and dictate model trends

The trend has undeniably been colder - better confluence, a stronger / better positioned high, and an earlier transfer to the coast. Trends have NOT been warmer the past 72 hours. Quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Terpeast said:

We've been looking at how this is trending, too. It has trended colder with a stronger high up north. I've been harping on this for 2 days now.

Let's see how it trends in the coming days, as it stands now the GFS is very close to a total miss for I-95. 

gfs_namer_162_snodpth_chng.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 8

Let's see how it trends in the coming days, as it stands now the GFS is very close to a total miss for I-95. 
gfs_namer_162_snodpth_chng.gif

I respect the snow depth map as a “worst case” scenario. With 33 and ripping… it’s not gonna have any trouble stacking up. We did fine with much much less on Dec. 10 earlier in the year.
  • Like 8

This could be a season saving storm. Without out we are looking at 2 cutters and no snow by January 15z.

This storm is critical. We could be at above average snow on Monday for the season

It’s like your fantasy rb scoring a td in the first quarter if it happens

Last night in our league, guy was 1% to win down 33 or whatever in the championship. He had Jordan Love left only. He won. If he can do it then we can get a snowstorm.

95 gonna have BL issues, we always do. I doubt we see a GFS all snow event unless we get support from other models fast. Just praying cmc/Ukie solutions are wrong. Cya at 00z

• Like 2

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I respect the snow depth map as a “worst case” scenario. With 33 and ripping… it’s not gonna have any trouble stacking up. We did fine with much much less on Dec. 10 earlier in the year.

IMO snow depth maps are talked about too much.  Just one tool to use but too much emphasis placed on those.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jayyy said:

When does the GFS bring in precip? Did it continue the trend of earlier onset or is still looking like a Sunday affair? Gotta think late Saturday night would be ideal vs later into Sunday morning - afternoon

GFS is slower than Euro.  Gets precip into the southern parts of our area around 4p and into DC a bit before 7p.  

• Like 1

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

I’m 9 tequilas in. I’m buzzed af. Shut up Chuck.  Shut all the way up. Shut up to  fucking Mars. Shut up to fucking Proximal Centurai B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8