Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

39 minutes ago, BrianW said:

If anyone plans on taking 91 there was a bridge being replaced in Massachusetts when I drove up there for skiing Presidents day weekend. On the way back Monday there was a huge delay coming home at that bridge with everyone heading home where it went to 1 lane. 

I imagine the traffic there is going to be nuts with people heading south after the eclipse. 

is that the one in Northampton ?

39 minutes ago, BrianW said:

If anyone plans on taking 91 there was a bridge being replaced in Massachusetts when I drove up there for skiing Presidents day weekend. On the way back Monday there was a huge delay coming home at that bridge with everyone heading home where it went to 1 lane. 

I imagine the traffic there is going to be nuts with people heading south after the eclipse. 

is that the one in Northampton ?

16 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm considering driving to Plattsburgh on Monday morning. There in the centerline and right now have a 17% chance for cloud cover. I just hope it's not crazy crowded driving up. It's about 4 hrs from my house.

Aiming for that area myself but can’t leave until 5pm Sunday after I work.  No idea what to expect traffic wise.  Got a toddler with us so not sure just pushing through without a sleep stop is in the cards.  

14 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

This eclipse is going to blow people away.  The sun is spectacular but what I noticed in Aruba was how fast the light changes.  This is a good example. 

It is completely worth going to see! I did in 2017 to South Carolina! This video also shows why you must try even if there are some clouds in the forecast. They didn't get an optimal view but they got a look at it none the less.

• Like 1

I just looked at the 12Z GFS and Euro.  I am getting a bit more concerned about the high clouds to the SW getting into New England by eclipse time.  GFS still looks good but Euro is a bit faster.  At 3:30pm the sun will be somewhat to the west so high clouds in that direction is not good.

Here are both model runs and comparison to the former runs.

gfs.jpg

Screenshot 2024-04-05 141234.jpg

I remember when I was a kid in 1970 it was NBD just don't look at it. But money and hype has to be made. I guess some are looking for some out of body experience. Don't get me wrong it's way cool  just it isn't life changing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I remember when I was a kid in 1970 it was NBD just don't look at it. But money and hype has to be made. I guess some are looking for some out of body experience. Don't get me wrong it's way cool  just it isn't life changing. 

Steve,  you and I are of the same age.  I remember that 1970 eclipse.  I was 14 and the family and I skied at Wildcat.  I think it was perhaps 95% totality.  It got a bit darker.  Then in 1998 I traveled to Aruba and saw a total eclipse.  I can't say it changed my life but it was by far the coolest natural type event of my lifetime.  I went on a tornado chase many years back and saw 2 tornadoes.  Not extremely close but within a couple of miles.  The eclipse was way better.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Steve,  you and I are of the same age.  I remember that 1970 eclipse.  I was 14 and the family and I skied at Wildcat.  I think it was perhaps 95% totality.  It got a bit darker.  Then in 1998 I traveled to Aruba and saw a total eclipse.  I can't say it changed my life but it was by far the coolest natural type event of my lifetime.  I went on a tornado chase many years back and saw 2 tornadoes.  Not extremely close but within a couple of miles.  The eclipse was way better.

Full in southern RI. Way cool but I just won't fall for all this hype. I don't want this to seem as a slight bu I am just going to watch the WCAX camera atop Mansfield . 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

49 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Full in southern RI. Way cool but I just won't fall for all this hype. I don't want this to seem as a slight bu I am just going to watch the WCAX camera atop Mansfield . 

Steve,  I "totally"  get it that you would not want to travel to NNE and deal with all the traffic.  I bookmarked the Mansfield cam.  The only thing I can say is a 99% eclipse vs 100% totality is literally night and day.  I will never forget the wall of darkness coming up the beach.  I was curious about 1970.  Only Nantucket got into totality.  SE Rhode Island had a 98% partial eclipse.  That is similar to what I am goin to experience.  I keep telling locals even a 98% eclipse is no big deal.  It is 100% or it is a bust.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

You haven't been in totality then. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

1970 was only a total solar eclipse on Nantucket.

I saw 2017 in person in South Carolina on Sullivan's Island. I was excited for it but the experience completely blew me away. I used to think the people that called it a spiritual experience were overly dramatic but it truly was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

1970 was only a total solar eclipse on Nantucket.

I saw 2017 in person in South Carolina on Sullivan's Island. I was excited for it but the experience completely blew me away. I used to think the people that called it a spiritual experience were overly dramatic but it truly was. 

I was on the beach in RI and it looked total to us but technically not I guess. Like I said phenomenal but it's the moon passage in front of the sun. Enjoy hope the clouds don't get in your way Joni Mitchell 

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was on the beach in RI and it looked total to us but technically not I guess. Like I said phenomenal but it's the moon passage in front of the sun. Enjoy hope the clouds don't get in your way Joni Mitchell 

The difference between 99.5% and 100% is enormous. It's like night and day. 

Looking pretty cloudy for me but maybe I'll get lucky. Who knows lol

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

The difference between 99.5% and 100% is enormous. It's like night and day. 

Looking pretty cloudy for me but maybe I'll get lucky. Who knows lol

Dallas? Do you know any weather men you can ask? I personally recommend Kevin in Tolland or Windy App

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Dallas? Do you know any weather men you can ask? I personally recommend Kevin in Tolland or Windy App

Looks like a decent cirrus deck there. Hopefully we get some breaks but who knows how that will shake out until the day of. I'll be happily surprised!

• Like 1

For New England The 1970 total eclipse is the closest anology to this one. There was an annular eclipse in May 1994.  That past over me in Central NH. 93% sun coverage and it was barely noticable. In 1970 only   Nantucket was had a total eclipse.  Everyone else just saw a partial.  Partial is interesting but no big deal.  Okay,  I'll stop honking about Monday.  By the way I don't like how the Euro is bringing in the high clouds so early. 

1970 path is below

Screenshot 2024-04-05 190915.jpg

2 hours ago, CT Rain said:

You haven't been in totality then. 

It's like getting 99% instead of 100% of the numbers right on a lottery ticket. Those who haven't witnessed totality might extrapolate incrementally, but it's infinitely different. It's like the minute before or after, cool but no big deal.

2017 eclipse was easily one of the most amazing and freaky things I've ever seen. Not at all about money or hype... quite the contrary. You could be as in awe just standing in an open field, for free. Aside from the otherworldly sight, it's rare we get to witness with our own eyes just how small we really are.

• Like 2

GFS/GEFS holding steady for VT/NH/ME

BTV:

As of 415 PM EDT Friday...Surface and upper level ridges remain
over the region for Monday, leading to pretty ideal viewing
conditions for the eclipse Monday afternoon. Some high clouds
will approach from the southwest, but at most some high clouds
around. Maximum temperatures will range through the 50s.

Ok..... consensus......should I switch my hotel reservations in Rochester, NY and switch to Cornwall, Ontario? I have until midnight to cancel Rochester.....so the clock is ticking. Will the cloud cover be a lot less in Cornwall? I have to drive to Niagara Falls the next day.....so don't want to go any further east than that.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, CTSkywarn said:

Ok..... consensus......should I switch my hotel reservations in Rochester, NY and switch to Cornwall, Ontario? I have until midnight to cancel Rochester.....so the clock is ticking. Will the cloud cover be a lot less in Cornwall? I have to drive to Niagara Falls the next day.....so don't want to go any further east than that.

Sent from my moto g 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

19z NBM (blue/grey is cloud cover, white is clear with % cover shown):

image.png.51dc0d5f84248d2fcbedeb2902328462.png

Further northeast seems better at this point... Euro has the cloud cover a bit further northeast than the NBM and GFS/GEFS as wxeyeNH posted above. So if it's a no-cost decision between the 2 destinations, I'd go further northeast. But see what others here say... 

• Like 1

Latest NAM looks great for VT where we’re going unless we have to divert which seems less likely.   We’ll be in CON overnight Sunday and follow the sun Monday.  2017 in Gallitin,TN was stupendous.   Who’d have thought the northeast would have the best chances but goes to show that you never really know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Latest NAM looks great for VT where we’re going unless we have to divert which seems less likely.   We’ll be in CON overnight Sunday and follow the sun Monday.  2017 in Gallitin,TN was stupendous.   Who’d have thought the northeast would have the best chances but goes to show that you never really know.

Dallas is still in play

• Weenie 1