• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

Planning to chase this eclipse at a venue about 1 mile south of the Canadian border in Newport, VT. The closest I was able to snag a hotel this late in the game was in Franconia, NH by Cannon Mountain. I'm surprised I was able to snag a room only 10-15 miles from the southern edge of totality that wasn't a huge price gouge. 

Hoteling it in the hopes to make the drive to and from totality shorter than day tripping from here as traffic is likely going to be a total clusterf***, especially after totality ends. 

I chased the August 21, 2017 totality in Casper, WY, but booked late and there were no hotels anywhere in or around totality so I flew to Denver, rented a car, and stayed a bit up I-25 from Denver. I got to Casper in 3-3.5 hours as I left my hotel around 2 AM, but the return took 10+ hours, and this was completely avoiding I-25. It was totally worth it though and hope the weather cooperates this go around. Early signs look decent, but there could be some high clouds coming in from the west out ahead of the next system.

• Like 3

It's about 1:45 minutes from my cabin to Jay Peak. A few friends may come and ski for a day trip, but most want to stay local and ski WV, but they're expected to max at 98.5%. I think it'll be worth the drive. Hopefully dont' encounter much traffic on the way up, but I have a feeling it's going to be a nightmare getting through Franconia notch afterwards.

• Like 1

@markO I posted earlier that I was in Oxford in 1999. We were 99% sun blocked and it was like a really dark cloud moving over the sun. I didn't have glasses so didn't look at the sun directly.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:47 PM, wxsniss said:

Good bet given guidance at this range Jerry... northeast looks like it actually has a chance sitting east of ridge. I'll be driving somewhere with my wife.

Any thoughts from anyone on this plan? I'm thinking Newport, VT... 3.5 hr drive during weekday rush hour, so we'll plan on a 6 hour drive up: Drive up 93N, onto 91N at St. Johnsbury. Stay on 91 and get car to southbound direction before eclipse and that way can immediately hit road after. At worst might even just pull over side of 91 southbound...

There is an actual organized event, but I imagine it'll be impossible to enter:

https://www.discovernewportvt.com/eclipse/

We honed it to northern VT for now.   Booked a place in CON Sunday night easing the drive Monday.  I’m thinking somewhere in the BTV to St Albans region.   Ironically NNE stands to be the sunniest place for this one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Booked in N Conway. I’ll cancel whichever spot looks diciest. 

I think that is a good starting point for the day, essentially heading north on 16 and in Gorham making the decision of where to go next (NW, N, NE). My general thoughts on the day is that speeds on roadways will be near normal at sunrise and decrease significantly as the morning becomes noon. I would plan to be where you want to be by noon.

Booked in N Conway. I’ll cancel whichever spot looks diciest. 
Also ready to book in N Conway! Are you driving up from the Boston area? What do you think 95 will look like on Monday after totality? Really hoping to take 16 to 95 or 302 to 95 (as another poster helpfully suggested). My (very optimistic) thoughts are 95 will be less chaotic than 93....

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, hiitsjenna said:

Also ready to book in N Conway! Are you driving up from the Boston area? What do you think 95 will look like on Monday after totality? Really hoping to take 16 to 95 or 302 to 95 (as another poster helpfully suggested). My (very optimistic) thoughts are 95 will be less chaotic than 93....

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Yes. I’m expecting insane traffic post eclipse no matter which route we take back. Fill up with gas prior.  

6 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Any other school districts going with half days Monday? Our district just announced this afternoon that the kids will get out between 11am high school to 12pm elementary for the safety of the students. 

I’m legitimately baffled lol

What safety concerns are there?

More exciting eclipse news.  Check this out.  Spaceweather.com says the "Devil" comet is now visible to the naked eye near the sun.  According to them the comet might be visible during totality.  I don't think that has ever happened before in modern times.

https://www.space.com/horned-comet-visible-total-solar-eclipse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Any other school districts going with half days Monday? Our district just announced this afternoon that the kids will get out between 11am high school to 12pm elementary for the safety of the students. 

All schools in that totality path in Vermont are closed for the day.

8 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

Just confirmed my reservations in Magog, QC. 3:28 in darkness, weather still looks good. About 10 miles from the centerline. Looks like a pretty cool little town. Anybody ever been?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sort of?  About 35 years ago some friends of mine rented a camp on Joe's Pond in Danville, VT.  We were up there on Friday night doing what 21 year olds do on Friday nights and someone says "Canada isn't that far, let's go!"  We piled into a couple of cars and hit I-91 north.  It's actually 55 miles to the border crossing and then there isn't really anything just over the boarder so we kept going another 25 miles until we hit Magog. Seemed like a nice enough town but couldn't really see much at 1:30 in the morning. I've driven through the area since but haven't really been back to the town.

• Like 1

If anyone plans on taking 91 there was a bridge being replaced in Massachusetts when I drove up there for skiing Presidents day weekend. On the way back Monday there was a huge delay coming home at that bridge with everyone heading home where it went to 1 lane. 

I imagine the traffic there is going to be nuts with people heading south after the eclipse. 

• Thanks 1