Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

7 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

February 13 was FANTASTIC. Only thing that would have made it better was another 8 hours of it

But it snowed all day Friday before the the real crazy shit started after dark that day…so it was a pretty long storm.  Definitely one for the record books. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

No seriously….it wasn’t as prolific as some think.  The sleet killed it for a lot of us..too bad. About 16” here then pingers for hrs.

I think I had a quick 8" in a 5-6 hour whiteout, then sandblasted with sleet by late afternoon/evening before the rain. I remember being in awe of how the snow came in like a wall of white

3 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I think I had a quick 8" in a 5-6 hour whiteout, then sandblasted with sleet by late afternoon/evening before the rain. I remember being in awe of how the snow came in like a wall of white

Ya you guys got the rain…ugh.  Heavy Snow to heavy sleet here.  From a meteorological standpoint it was quite the rare bird. But there have been many storms since that were much better snow producers for sure. So in that regard it was somewhat of a let down imo.  

9 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

But it snowed all day Friday before the the real crazy shit started after dark that day…so it was a pretty long storm.  Definitely one for the record 

Aside from the blizzard of 78, it was the most amazing storm I've experienced.  34 Inches in Simsbury. I still had my residential snow plow route at the time.  Took me all weekend, and hours after work Monday to clean everyone up

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Aside from the blizzard of 78, it was the most amazing storm I've experienced.  34 Inches in Simsbury. I still had my residential snow plow route at the time.  Took me all weekend, and hours after work Monday to clean everyone up

Agreed. Imo, living through 78 as a soon to be 10 yr old 5 weeks afterwards, 78 had  longer lasting winds, and thus bigger drifts, and even longer lasting blizzard conditions.  But Feb 13 had even more snow than 78 here, with legit 6”+/hr rates that were absolutely mind boggling to witness. 

Feb ‘13 finally lived up to the performance and ferocity of 1978 for me…and I pretty much treat/think of them as equals for my area. Until that point, nothing had lived up to 78 here. But Feb 13 finally did for me. Both incredible storms. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

No seriously….it wasn’t as prolific as some think.  The sleet killed it for a lot of us..too bad. About 16” here then pingers for hrs.

Op said not a lot of people maybe but a huge area did.  I put a yardstick through it where I was.  Official was lower there but still 2 feet upstate NY

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

And that’s exactly the point…as John said, it’s pretty much impossible.   Feb13 gave me 33”.  The two January monsters in 2011 gave me close to 2ft, and then 18-20” respectively.  So that’s kind of how it works.  Dec of 20 and Feb 1st of 21 were 15-18”too.  

February ‘06 was huge here, 20 plus.  Don’t know what you got in that? But that was a great storm here and down into NYC. 

In February 2006 I got 11.4". Biggest storms that I remember for snowfall were January 2005 with about 24", January 2022 with 23.2", and January 2015 with 20.4." 

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Agreed. Imo, living through 78 as a soon to be 10 yr old 5 weeks afterwards, 78 had  longer lasting winds, and thus bigger drifts, and even longer lasting blizzard conditions.  But Feb 13 had even more snow than 78 here, with legit 6”+/hr rates that were absolutely mind boggling to witness. 

Feb ‘13 finally lived up to the performance and ferocity of 1978 for me…and I pretty much treat/think of them as equals for my area. Until that point, nothing had lived up to 78 here. But Feb 13 finally did for me. Both incredible storms. 

Where you are I can see that, but more East 78 was by far better, drifts like I've never seen before or after, not that 13 was a slouch, just not in the same class here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cleetussnow said:

Op said not a lot of people maybe but a huge area did.  I put a yardstick through it where I was.  Official was lower there but still 2 feet upstate NY

He was talking about New England.  So that’s what I was referring to.  Yes upstate NY(which is significantly west of SNE/NE) got significantly more snow than here, due to your westward location. So for your area out there, for sure 2 feet was widespread. But not in NE. 

21 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It wasn't that impressive in terms of snowfall for me, as I had like 15" before a flip to IP....but to this day I have never seen drifting in my area like I did in that. Drifts were several feet deep, which is unheard of in the wind pit that I live in ...Wilmington at the time.

14 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Where you are I can see that, but more East 78 was by far better, drifts like I've never seen before or after, not that 13 was a slouch, just not in the same class here.

And that’s this whole point…it’s always different for everybody. It’s never gonna be the same. And the reason it wasn’t the same out east on Feb 13, was because the real death band set up over here, and down through LI.  Had it set up over the east…it would have been a different feeling for the east folks. But it didn’t, so 78 still ranks above.  But not for here because we got absolutely obliterated with that band in 13…it was just totally off the charts. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yeah 78 was much longer lasting,  especially the aftermath! No school for 5 days after. One thing I'll say every time I mention that storm... the totals were WAY off in some areas.  I had measurements from our house in Granby, my grandfather from the utility company in Simsbury and others.  We had 28 inches in Granby and was told 25 in Simsbury. Official totals are far less... and I don't believe them