Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

6 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Wasn't that a DC/BWI/PHL special?

No that was the Jan 2016 blizzard.....2/5/16 was a late NW-trending scraper that turned into a legit 8-14" snowfall across much of the region.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

Wasn't that a DC/BWI/PHL special?

DC to Maine, most of CT got 6-12". Maybe you're thinking of the "jonas" blizzard in late Jan that season. 

The 2/5/16 special was a wave on a front that had this very long SW/NE movement on the radar. Models had it ticking NW every run leading up to the event, it was kind of a surprise event 24 hours in because beyond that it was mostly forecast to be a whiff. 

1649724790_Screenshot2024-01-10113155.thumb.png.b3f7ce79797418b90257b68d3e9a03f4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

DC to Maine, most of CT got 6-12". Maybe you're thinking of the "jonas" blizzard in late Jan that season. 

The 2/5/16 special was a wave on a front that had this very long SW/NE movement on the radar. Models had it ticking NW every run leading up to the event, it was kind of a surprise event 24 hours in because beyond that it was mostly forecast to be a whiff. 

1649724790_Screenshot2024-01-10113155.thumb.png.b3f7ce79797418b90257b68d3e9a03f4.png

Wasn’t that the Super Bowl evening that that came in that year(Sunday Night)? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, iceman1 said:

back in my days 60s we had snow all winter long sledding every day

went to school during snow storms great times

I recall those days. Back then it took a lot to have school cancelled.  Now school gets cancelled because it is hot/cold...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PWMan said:

I think some of the "I don't care about pack" stuff is a defense mechanism. It's also a lot easier to say when you don't have any to lose.

I explained my position, and as I said I love winter, and I love to have it on the ground too. BUT….if that’s not gonna happen(and sometimes it does happen, and sometimes it doesn’t), then I’ll be more than happy to take a good snow event, and if it’s gonna melt, or wash away a few days later so be it.  

I’d rather have had the storm and not be able to keep it, than not have the storm because it’s warm after.   And No Defense Mechanism here at ALL. So now you all know. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Wow, genuinely don’t recall that one. Beautiful precipitation band though, VA to Maine simultaneously…

5 minutes ago, iceman1 said:

I can relate, I grew up in the 60's, Feb 69, We were out of school for a week so you would have to know it was real bad snow, Because they never cancelled back then, In fact, If the buses didn't run, You had to still find a away to get to school, A parent or walk.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Thats the one that started 6 hours aftet the Super Bowl in Metlife stadium; that would been cool to see if it was sped up by 6-9 hours.  EDIT Nope that was 2014.. Very similar storm though.. Feb 2 2014... 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

In the minority from what i see and here.

I don’t think anyone is saying they don’t want snowpack, it’s just that it’s not necessary for having a good winter subjectively. 

That’s my genuine answer hand to God. If I needed weeks and weeks of snowpack to be happy here I’d be miserable more often than not more seasons than not. That’s my climo here in the valley lowlands. As you know it’s different up there. I can easily see how pack matters to you. It’s normal to have it there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

So the one in ‘16 wasn’t on Super Bowl Sunday late night after midnight, into Monday morning then?  

No it was a friday storm.

There was another super bowl storm in 2015 too. The 2/2/15 storm was the day after the SB. Started right after it ended actually IIRC.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

So the one in ‘16 wasn’t on Super Bowl Sunday late night after midnight, into Monday morning then?  

Doesn't seem so but the one on Feb 2014 and the one on Feb 2015 both occurred/started on Super bowl evening into Monday. Thats why i thought you meant 2015, but 2014 same thing happened. 

16 minutes ago, iceman1 said:

1960s were the coldest winter decade here in the past 110 years....you have to go back to the 1910s to find a colder decade of winters. Not gonna happen again any time soon.