Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

27 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

seems like a solid window from the 15-23rd afterwards. good agreement on all ensemble guidance

Winterwolf loves this word so I'll use it again here just for him. The canonical teleconnector correlations, when balancing all projects, is very closely matched to that date range you got there - from what I have been observing as of late.

There is a new +d(PNA) ( actually started emerging 4 days ago and is above 0SD as of today) running out through the 20th.  That does not appear to be mere noise. There is limited spread in native sources, and they all have the positive delta.  Meanwhile, the EPO is tanking rather abuptly negative during this week. 

We are thus relaying a -EPO into a +d(PNA).  That is a cold loader pattern into middle latitude continent.  The scale/amount of +d(PNA) is on the order of -1.5 SD to +.5 ...so ~ 2 SD total correction - which is a subtantive amount over an index domain that is very large.  It can be dispersed unevenly, granted, but I am noticing a tendency in the spatial ens means, to raise heights over the open Pac Basinc between Hawaii and California.   This is typically the type a signal that would lead me to start an extended lead thread for storm threat over eastern America - I'm holding back in deference to seasonal trends.

13th is a bit early for this discussion, but that one is actually in contention for other forcing - in my mind - due to the uncertainties with the western limb variant of the -NAO expression.  We are < D7 but ... mm there's still tendencies to smear that E in some of these operational runs. so we'll see on that.  It's possible to run a Lakes Cutter and have the low unravel over western Quebec given the -d(NAO) is still in formulation and the exertion isn't matured.   Kind of race there - not sure that can be confidently refuted so it's easier to assume a GEFs/EPS blend there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Close them until February, remember when many were said COD after 3?  Insanity 

image.jpeg.49f693811c046d0d49f8e2f74c37ad74.jpeg

Take into account the MJO lag of about a week puts Jan 15-23 in a favorable period with an unfavorable period right after until MJO gets into more positive phases. 

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Drag and Tip like snow for the 13th

Possible but uphill battle. Need to tame that western trough and/or really compress the heights over SE Canada enough to turn it into a SWFE. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

@raindancewxLikes to use local weather as confirmation of sensible analogs....well, look long and hard for a shit el Nino that buries interior SNE in early January...let me know when you find one. Looks a great deal like warmer versions 1966, 1987 and 2002 to me. Again, the warmth is not a surprise...no one expected a big cold/retention season with the strength of el Ninio/-PDO/ocean warmth combo.

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Good January call so far. This storm was hilarious, the usual suspects hyped it into a NYC snowstorm for days and days…when I gave my opinion last weekend and during the week that it wasn’t, I got attacked and trolled lol

You have some great insight, but admit it....you like to titty twist winter enthusiasts :lol: That's why you get shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Nothing to say it’ll be good either. Going to be brutal punting the last week of Jan, close to peak snow climo 

Says the guy 9 days ago who said we were gonna punt January, and it was gonna be snowless.  You were dead wrong on that, yet here you go again?   The only shit sandwich are the words that keep coming out of your mouth. 

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Says the guy 9 days ago who said we were gonna punt January, and it was gonna be snowless.  You were dead wrong on that, yet here you go again?   The only shit sandwich are the words that keep coming out of your mouth. 

Enjoy the snow today bro, it’s going to washed away 5x over in the coming week. That’s the truth 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Fangs already out after 7” down. 

No fangs…just stating a fact. He tried to punt January a week ago Friday(12/29), before modeling swung more favorable, as folks informed him they could/might. Yet he did not heed that info, and came up on the wrong side.  

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Enjoy the snow today bro, it’s going to washed away 5x over in the coming week. That’s the truth 

Sure is, but more will come..and that’s the truth.  

• Weenie 1

I get that it’s gonna rain and it’s pissing him, and all of us off. That sucks. But why are we always talking about punting weeks and months all the time. There looks to be some favorable periods coming up after this rain event on Wednesday.  Maybe it fails. But 8-9 days ago this nice snow event for many of us, didn’t even seem possible.  That’s more my point.  

I understand that Brett wants snow, and so do I. And a cutter two days after our snow is disappointing. But I honestly don’t think we go snowless the next 3/4 of January.  It doesn’t seem to be all doom and gloom going forward.  So I just don’t understand the complete angst on a regular basis all the time. 

• Like 1