• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

Yup, it's been consistent for days. 6 days out though and I suspect it will be a while before we get a handle on the strength of any CAD and timing of any secondary SLP. I'd feel good in the western Maine mountains and northern Maine. It snows where it should snow. SNE never had a shot at this. 

17 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the cutter on the 10th was going to be a cutter for like the last 10 days lmao

Yeah, it is a matter of some folks hoping for a front-ender to cold rain/slot, so their pack isn't gone. While others prefer a wild, windy 55F pack obliterator that takes some down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Yup, it's been consistent for days. 6 days out though and I suspect it will be a while before we get a handle on the strength of any CAD and timing of any secondary SLP. I'd feel good in the western Maine mountains and northern Maine. It snows where it should snow. SNE never had a shot at this. 

Yeah, All this outside of a a couple runs for SNE, Its highly questionable here as well, Maybe some front end stuff as it stands.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That thing has been modeled on every run of every LR model since like d13.

Are there specific characteristics associated with a cutter that allows it to be sniffed out and held onto so far in advance?  Assuming it actually does come to fruition of course.  I imagine confidence builds in it actually happening as we get closer to go-time.  

Or, is it simply like other storms that get picked up well ahead of time, regardless of track?

I'm thinking that because I'd prefer to not have cold rain, my personal negative bias is viewing this differently.  Whereas if it were a coastal showing heavy snows along the New England seaboard I'm likely not asking the same questions as to "why this was picked up on the modeling so early".

There;s still a very real chance that 1/10 ends up a good front ender for many....whether that's only reserved for CNE/NNE or also SNE still remains to be seen. Euro being stubborn isn't a good sign for the colder solution right now so I'd favor mostly rain for SNE, but maybe it capitulates in these next few cycles. The reason is that the biggest uncertainty seems to be what is going on up north in Quebec east of James Bay with the height field Around D4.5-D5...and that's where model error tends to be larger vs down in the lower latitudes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Layman said:

Are there specific characteristics associated with a cutter that allows it to be sniffed out and held onto so far in advance?  Assuming it actually does come to fruition of course.  I imagine confidence builds in it actually happening as we get closer to go-time.  

Or, is it simply like other storms that get picked up well ahead of time, regardless of track?

I'm thinking that because I'd prefer to not have cold rain, my personal negative bias is viewing this differently.  Whereas if it were a coastal showing heavy snows along the New England seaboard I'm likely not asking the same questions as to "why this was picked up on the modeling so early".

Well I just mean a significant low has been consistently modeled. The storm can shift 200 miles either way and it’s still a cutter to us. But in the Plains or Great Lakes it can mean drastically different weather. The warm frontal precip and warm sector covers a large area. The sweet spot in a snowstorm is usually much smaller on a spatial scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah, it is a matter of some folks hoping for a front-ender to cold rain/slot, so their pack isn't gone. While others prefer a wild, windy 55F pack obliterator that takes some down.

The storm on the 10th is not going to have the destructive potential of the pre-Christmas disaster.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes it will. There is a tremendous difference in pressure gradient 

Just now, dendrite said:

I’ll take the under compared to last storm. It’ll be very meh up here.

There's a lot of inversion to overcome in this one...even on a Euro solution the lower levels take a long time to scour out over the interior. The Cape and islands and those types of typical places look vulnerable, but it's so hard to get 50+ knots over interior like that December storm.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’ll take the under compared to last storm. It’ll be very meh up here.

Yeah, There was pack that got wiped out to go with the last one to create the record flooding, Not this go round if there is, Its not rains to the Gaspe on this one.