Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wouldn't trust the op Euro beyond 5 in this pattern.  You have a high speed -PNA under a 'tendency' to back drill colder heights into SE Canada from a -NAO that it also agrees will set in, so what does it do?  Stalls a planetary trough node over Nebraska and carves heights down to Texas. 

Given that model's heredity of lagging heights S/W (is it really over that obsession?) ... it's like trusting a con just because they put in their time, but now have been released out into the temptations of society

Any op run really. But yeah I agree. A few small changes means a lot so naturally you use ensembles which hopefully show you the different outcomes and help identifier outliers.

Also, once again 12z EPS looks good. What’s with the 12z runs looking good lately. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Any op run really. But yeah I agree. A few small changes means a lot so naturally you use ensembles which hopefully show you the different outcomes and help identifier outliers.

Also, once again 12z EPS looks good. What’s with the 12z runs looking good lately. 

Heh   I've noticed that many times in the past, too.  These guidance et al seem to exhibit a kind of oscillation between amplitude and positioning.  Less or more on 12z, and vice versa on 0.    I wonder why that is...  I used to think it was diurnal load balancing with hemispheric heating on day vs night side but that seems like it should be less evident in winter.  I don't know -

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

EPS is really trying to build the -NAO mid-month. Like retrograde that North Atlantic ridge back into Greenland and Baffin/Davis Strait. That would keep things interesting despite a meh N PAC 

IMG_9995.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

EPS is really trying to build the -NAO mid-month. Like retrograde that North Atlantic ridge back into Greenland and Baffin/Davis Strait. That would keep things interesting despite a meh N PAC 

IMG_9995.png

I like the fact that it's positioning over the western limb of the NAO domain.  An east biased blocking would allow more room for the dreaded Iowa to western Ontario storm track.. but, when it is west, the "Great Lakes squeezer" low enters the picture. With confluence barrier we turn a -PNA into a winter storm index.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Let’s get some frost in the ground and then get that primary slp to transfer like the 12z gfs op shows for the 11th and then do it again on the 15th. Source region vastly improved by that point. 

That was the best run we’ve seen in a while for winter in the NE. 

Good chance we will get one of these to work out at least.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Not surprising given how bad the EPS has become, toss far and wide.  Pattern > Modelology.  Pattern says this is a swing and a miss.  Need major changes to say otherwise.

I actually agree that 1/7 is still a longshot but I won’t confidently dismiss as easily as you because it’s not a prerequisite to have a ridge out west to get those to gain latitude. You’d just want to see that southern stream a little deeper…incorporate a bit more N stream energy before it tries to turn the corner. We’ve seen several big southern stream storms in the past with a trough out west. 

• Like 4

I suggest that if it makes you angry, crazy, upset in any other way; just tune out until a durable pattern changes still probably several weeks away presuming it happens.  I will check in more than once per day because I will take whatever wx I get and maybe I'll learn something.  Not surprisingly, it will get a bit colder and it will at least feel like early December vs early to mid November.  Although as mentioned I have no issues with no ice.

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Until the storm comes in, and with it the pacific air.

I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about. The 1/7 setup has a high to the north. It’s not advecting in PAC air as it approaches. It would be drawing down air from that high. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3