• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

Good to see the Euro trend colder and put us near edge here, but 6 days to go is a very long time considering the accuracy of models at this range. Who knows at this point, but at least it looks like our first legitimate threat. 

Anyway I say it's time to take a break from the models for a little while and enjoy the  holiday weekend. I hope everyone has a great New Year's Eve and New Year's day. Another great food holiday. Football today, but I also love watching The Twilght Zone Marathon. That has become a big New Year's tradition.  Happy New Year! Hopefully after the holiday this winter storm threat for next weekend will look better as we get to a more realistic range midweek. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I'd say that's mild lol. Just not all time warm. Again, I'm aware that winters have warmed more on the East Coast than the southern lakes. But I was merely pointing out that 1950s winters were anemic in most areas in the northeastern third of the country.

Even the most anemic winters of the 1950s finished with around 10” of snow or higher and we had 2 years under 5” since 19-20.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Even the most anemic winters of the 1950s finished with over 10” of snow and we had 2 years under 5” since 19-20.

True. I know you guys have said you tend to be even more feast-or-famine lately. Here where it's more "steady" snowfall, averages took a noticeable dip from the 1930s through the 50s. There were also several winters that finished under 20", something that has not happened in 55 years. Again not trying to go anywhere with this, just saying that as much as many long for winters of the 70s, they should despise winters of the 50s lol.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Even the most anemic winters of the 1950s finished with around 10” of snow or higher and we had 2 years under 5” since 19-20.

The last 4 winters averaged 15.9 inches as CPK. Not good but far better than the 11.125 average from 96/97 through 99/00. 85/86 through 89/89 was close with 15.825 so perhaps a good comparison so far.

Agreed 2 under 5 so close together is new, however too early to tell if it's an anamoly or a trend. Let's see what the next few years bring. A lot will depend on how strong the la Nina is next year.

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Real interesting battle with the ensembles for mid month. Both the eps/geps improve the pna while the gefs get worst. If we make it into p3 of the mjo the better pna makes sense to me 

Yeah. If we can score during this period before the relaxation, then we have a good shot at average snowfall when we get back to the good MJO phases again.

If this was just a moderate El nino this winter could have been a great one.

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

True. I know you guys have said you tend to be even more feast-or-famine lately. Here where it's more "steady" snowfall, averages took a noticeable dip from the 1930s through the 50s. There were also several winters that finished under 20", something that has not happened in 55 years. Again not trying to go anywhere with this, just saying that as much as many long for winters of the 70s, they should despise winters of the 50s lol.

Here is the history for central park.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:VA6C2:ae0895db-7e85-4c6a-84ea-43574ecab760

• Like 1

The EPS ensembles have "discovered" the potential January 7-8, 2024 storm. But there remains considerable uncertainty with a risk that a Pacific trough could result in the storm's taking a track too far to the north and west to bring a moderate or significant snowfall to big cities from Philadelphia to New York City.

image.png.46a94d3b9893e42c7b526157ba7f4ebf.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yeah, Long Island has been in all or nothing snowfall mode since the early 90s. From the 60s to early 90s average seasons dominated. My guess is that the heightened volatility since the early 90s is related to the warming. At some point going forward the increasing warmth will probably give us a snowfall average closer to the Delmarva and Southern NJ. The good news for the Great Lakes region is that warmer waters and less ice should lead to increases in lake effect snows at several locations. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, Long Island has been in all or nothing snowfall mode since the early 90s. From the 60s to early 90s average seasons dominated. My guess is that the heightened volatility since the early 90s is related to the warming. At some point going forward the increasing warmth will probably give us a snowfall average closer to the Delmarva and Southern NJ. The good news for the Great Lakes region is that warmer waters and less ice should lead to increases in lake effect snows at several locations. 

We got so spoiled here on LI generally from 2002-2023 in my opinion. Lots of big boys. 

• Like 1

Very happy many of you will hopefully see something out of this. I’m probably screwed here for now, need more cold or a less amped solution like those runs earlier that showed a big hit here. 

Regardless, positives overall considering the alternative and hopefully the start of some improvements. Hopefully I’ll catch some snow at work (should these actually work out, fingers crossed).