Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday, December 17 - Monday, December 18, 2023 Storm

weatherwiz

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

In summer...

55-63mph will uproot trees in any season.  That’s some absolutely legit wind for inland zones.  40mph can uproot as well with wet thawed ground, it’s just not as sexy a number. I dunno, just witnessed a lot of weather over the years while monitoring the wx station readings on the Mtn.

In the end, does the MPH value matter if the excitement and damage is there?  If 40-50mph is very disruptive, does it matter if folks want it to be recorded as 60+mph.

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

55-63mph will uproot trees in any season.  That’s some absolutely legit wind for inland zones.  40mph can uproot as well with wet thawed ground, it’s just not as sexy a number. I dunno, just witnessed a lot of weather over the years while monitoring the wx station readings on the Mtn.

In the end, does the MPH value matter if the excitement and damage is there?  If 40-50mph is very disruptive, does it matter if folks want it to be recorded as 60+mph.

My experience is 30 foot anemometer can't show true wind speeds that topple trees. 

Taller trees are more susceptible to a problem known as “windthrow” than their shorter counterparts. Windthrow refers to the act of strong winds fully uprooting trees. A tall trunk combined with full foliage turns your tree into a lever.

Thus, when strong winds hit the upper part of the tree while exerting a considerable force on the lower trunk and roots, it can remove the entire root system off the ground, even if it is a large tree with healthy roots.

Trees with Two Trunks

Other trees most likely to fall in the wind are those with multiple trunks. A standard tree structure has one dominant trunk. If your tree has more than one dominant lead, it is more likely to suffer storm damage as the trunks offer blow away and towards each other. 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My experience is 30 foot anemometer can't show true wind speeds that topple trees. 

Yeah agreed, those 30-foot anemometer readings show the 30-foot wind speeds.  Above that it likely increases. Depends on what height one wants to measure winds.  If 100-200+ feet off the ground is the forecast value, then free air readings are definitely different animal than the ground level 2-M.

Like I said who cares what the value is, if tree branches come down.  35-40mph at 2-M or 60mph off the deck.

One of the most eye opening events to me weather wise was finally realizing how high wind speeds can get even just 100 feet off the ground.  When I was working at the Mashantucket Musuem we had Davis pros at 30 feet 75 feet and finally at 336 feet atop an observation tower. During a screaming soueaster we read simultaneously 35 mph at 30 feet 52 mph at 75 feet and 104 mph at 330 feet. Shortly after we measured the 104 Blue hill gusted to 101. I believe this was 2002?? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PWMan said:

Over an inch in those downpours that raced through earlier. Not a fun round-trip drive to Logan this evening; fortunately my son’s flight from Portugal got in ahead of the big winds.

1.69" in these downpours earlier does not bode well to whats coming here.