• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate-High Impact Storm Noon Sun Dec 17, 2023 - 4PM Mon Dec 18. Flooding rain I95 corridor northwestward, coastal tidal flooding, brief periods of damaging 50 MPH+ wind gusts LI/CT Monday, ends as a little wet snow interior elevations Tue morning.

wdrag

53 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

60 kt gusts are now as far north as Diamond Shoals off Cape hatteras. (60 kt = 67-68 mph)

Seriously impressive observations coming out of that area. If that makes it up here this is going to be a very high impact event. Seas peaked at 33’ during sandy at 44065 Ny harbor buoy. Seeing high 20’s in the Carolina’s is very impressive. 

29 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Seriously impressive observations coming out of that area. If that makes it up here this is going to be a very high impact event. Seas peaked at 33’ during sandy at 44065 Ny harbor buoy. Seeing high 20’s in the Carolina’s is very impressive. 

Of interest. Blend Of Models (19z version) seems to be doing well eastern NC shore at 00z... if it holds...max gusts per BOM for LI 60-65 MPH tomorrow morning.  I havent recently studied the details of the modeling wind downward transfer-instability. 

10 hours ago, wdrag said:

Just want to pass this on: There is no doubt in my mind about moderate to major impact for virtually all our area Monday, with power outages and moderate to major flooding of some streams lingering into Wednesday.  90-100 knots of 850MB wind over NYC-LI se New England for 3-6 hours tomorrow morning has to cause a fair amount of power outages (80 knots at 850MB in WAA is my trigger). Additionally, if your sump needs electric, better think about safe options.

Safely: your gutters that might be leaf clogged,  might be good to clear the dgutters-downspout ingest area now... again you are your own best safety. Can't risk a falling off a ladder or roof.

The Passaic and Ct River are ensemble based (NAEFS and GEFS) qpf forecast to go into moderate or major flood stage Tue-Wed at couple of locations and many streams seem destined to go at least minor, providing the reality of 3" is realized. That is going to mean problems for those of you near these, detours etc.  Again: this only occurs if 3+" falls in the basin.  I continue to think spotty 5" in 18 hours by Noonish tomorrow.  Follow hydro briefings from the various NWS offices and post here if you wish.  My main concern is the SPC HREF has been lagging on this 3+" amount... I'd like to see this 12z run beef up to at least 3" basin.

Now is the time to getable preparations done, before nightfall and before rain-drizzle becomes widespread with the damage developing toward dawn Monday.  I'll be up monitoring wind reports early tomorrow and as best I can rainfall reports.  

Finally: the snow for Tuesday... in and out on the various models but don't count it out and early in the day.  12z/17 NAM and HRRR still have it.  The 00z EC did, but lost it at 06z.

Interim, especially 18z GFS cycle are not recently deemed as reliable compared to other cycles.  

I guess it depends on exactly where the systems merge.  At first glance, it looks over NYC, but, it may be further east, depending on the speed?

32 minutes ago, PuraVida said:

Go to bed now, wake up 4am

Possible Dry Slotting around 4 AM?

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Seas peaked well offshore in the mid 40’s with the passage of Sandy.  I checked a number of the offshore buoys situated to the north and northeast of Cape Hatteras earlier and most of them were not reporting off shore wind data.  These are the buoys situated off of the mid Atlantic coast.  This is concerning.

• Rjay unpinned this topic