Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

It is the new word of the season (for me at least).  Shade snow.   Temps have not been too warm the last several days so the shade protects the pack. 

22 for the low this morning.

Bubb It funny you say shade snow. Because all the places that was in the shade yesterday still has snow left.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

21F for low.

Saturday looks like last winter day. Phil was right.

Tellies would argue otherwise.  AO/NAO headed neg in early march, and PNA on the rise, says slow your role spring...MJO and poss SSW also thrown into mix says not so fast.    

What's the truth, I dunno, and once into mid march, I typically dont really care.  If it cant snow, and stick around (which gets harder by the day....damn sun angle, I'm ready to move onto spring.  Yes, i just said it.  Harley has much better ROI fun wise, and while i love a wintery day like yall do, we've definitely wasted some prime time and the cold has been around, but not deep (as others have suggested in winter grading that's coming out). We've had much more winter than last year, so I'm ready to chalk it up as a minor victory and move along.  

I didn't get up north w/ sleds once again, although my bad as there's been about 5 weekends that one coulda rode up there.  Not great but better than last year.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I feel that the second two weeks of March could be cold and maybe snowy.      Hate that it melts so quickly then. 

I hope so. I'd like to finish closer to average. What I don't want is a windy, cold and dry March. I'll take spring weather over that. 

MU seems strangely confident that the tellies are wrong and we're not looking back after next week. He's been calling for this since January 26th...time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I hope so. I'd like to finish closer to average. What I don't want is a windy, cold and dry March. I'll take spring weather over that. 

MU seems strangely confident that the tellies are wrong and we're not looking back after next week. He's been calling for this since January 26th...time will tell. 

Well, you know I do not prescribe just to tellies.    I just do not think we go into a forever warmth starting in Feb.   The definition of cold could come up again re the average high on March 15th is 51 so some may say highs in the low 40's is cold.  I suspect MDT has a day or two in the second half of March that does not go over 40.  Whether it snows in March is not something that is predictable in my mind, but I think the temps will allow a chance for it at some point.

Queen's, "Radio Ga Ga"
Misheard Lyrics:
All we hear is radio caca, radio cuckoo, radio caca
All we hear is radio caca, radio la la
Radio, what's new?
Original Lyrics:
All we hear is radio ga ga, radio goo goo, radio ga ga
All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio blah blah, radio, what's new?

• Haha 1

Wind chill in the teens goes beyond my shorts wearing fare unless sports are being played.    Meso's starting to ramp up Sat winds a bit. 
Go play some tennis then. Winter tennis should absolutely be a thing.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Well, you know I do not prescribe just to tellies.    I just do not think we go into a forever warmth starting in Feb.   The definition of cold could come up again re the average high on March 15th is 51 so some may say highs in the low 40's is cold.  I suspect MDT has a day or two in the second half of March that does not go over 40.  Whether it snows in March is not something that is predictable in my mind, but I think the temps will allow a chance for it at some point.

Queen's, "Radio Ga Ga"
Misheard Lyrics:
All we hear is radio caca, radio cuckoo, radio caca
All we hear is radio caca, radio la la
Radio, what's new?
Original Lyrics:
All we hear is radio ga ga, radio goo goo, radio ga ga
All we hear is radio ga ga
Radio blah blah, radio, what's new?

I had to play it just to refresh myself on what my lyrics were...same as yours. LOL

MU did say that there would be some colder days in March - here are his exact words:

The SPV is and will remain relatively unstable for the foreseeable future, but a displacement toward the opposite side of the globe and in a west-to-east configuration is usually a "kiss of death" for cold and snow across the Central and Eastern States. In the low-levels of the atmosphere, the coldest air often follows the SPV with a lag time of 1-2 weeks. A similar displacement late last February had little impact on the weather pattern across the United States. Instead, Arctic air ultimately followed the SPV and dumped into Eurasia. I would be foolish to think this case an exception. As the old adage goes, "History repeats itself." Due to these and other factors not mentioned here, the warm pattern and Jet Stream ridging over the eastern half- to two-thirds of the U.S. could become quite persistent in March with widespread.. and impressive.. positive temperature anomalies. There will undoubtedly be brief shots of below-normal temperatures at times, but the number of "warm" days should far outweigh the number of "chilly" ones.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

Go play some tennis then. Winter tennis should absolutely be a thing.

It is sometimes.  Once in Florida we had to play with sleet falling and temps in the low 30's.  It was not fun, but we did it.  I wore gloves.   Usually, I will play if it is 40 or above.  The ball does not travel well in the dense cold air and string breaks are all too common.  

• Like 2

AM low 20.5 - Today will be our 5th straight below normal temp day. We should see a warmup to slightly above normal tomorrow with rain arriving tomorrow night. Colder again for the weekend before a big warm up next week.)
Chester County Wide Records for today: High 79.7 Warwick Twp. (2018) / Low 6 below Phoenixville (1934) / Precipitation 2.73" Kennett Square (1912) / Snow 12.3" Coatesville (1947)

image.png.3e5fab7453006eae60b76130158cc014.png

It is sometimes.  Once in Florida we had to play with sleet falling and temps in the low 30's.  It was not fun, but we did it.  I wore gloves.   Usually, I will play if it is 40 or above.  The ball does not travel well in the dense cold air and string breaks are all too common.  
Sounds like it would be like playing tennis with a candlepin bowling ball.

Which, outdoor bowling sounds like it would be fun. Absolutely everything would be ruined by the cold; the resin would react differently to a freezing cold lane, the oil would coagulate, the ball's core would react differently and wind would affect the ball's path. Now I want to grease a rich person to build an outdoor alley and actually use the machines to it.

• Haha 1