Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Advised of what?
McKean-Elk-Clearfield-Cambria-
Including the cities of Bradford, St. Marys, Ridgway, DuBois, Clearfield, and Johnstown
220 PM EST Sun Dec 17 2023

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...McKean, Elk, Clearfield and Cambria Counties.

* WHEN...From 1 PM Monday to 10 AM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The periods of heaviest snowfall and travel impacts are expected between 8 PM Monday and 8 AM Tuesday as temperatures drop below freezing.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission remind motorists to adjust speeds based on driving conditions as winter weather impacts will include snow covered roads and limited visibility.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway and traffic conditions.

To report snow or ice, post to the NWS State College Facebook page, use Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ctp.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

McKean-Elk-Clearfield-Cambria-
Including the cities of Bradford, St. Marys, Ridgway, DuBois, Clearfield, and Johnstown
220 PM EST Sun Dec 17 2023

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO 10 AM EST TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches. Winds gusting as high as 40 mph.

* WHERE...McKean, Elk, Clearfield and Cambria Counties.

* WHEN...From 1 PM Monday to 10 AM EST Tuesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The periods of heaviest snowfall and travel impacts are expected between 8 PM Monday and 8 AM Tuesday as temperatures drop below freezing.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission remind motorists to adjust speeds based on driving conditions as winter weather impacts will include snow covered roads and limited visibility.

Call 5 1 1 or visit www.511pa.com for the latest travel, roadway and traffic conditions.

To report snow or ice, post to the NWS State College Facebook page, use Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or visit weather.gov/ctp.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Excellent Enjoy!!!

I wish it was snow tonight lol. 4 days ago before we were going to get the storm it was upper 30s to low 40s for  high. low was below freezing. I understand its coming up from the south but with it being just off the coast id thought it would bring down some cold air considering its so strong. 

This looks better than a couple days ago when i said it needed to go due W right off the chart.  Thats a decent run into 8 and coupled w/ better tellies might just get r done.

I distinctly remember a respected poster from the Mid-Atlantic region doing a deep dive for dca snowfall for like 30years and pulled in I think at least seasonal average NAO/ENSO values if not monthly for a good portion of his study period to look at correlations. I wish I could find his post because I think he left links to his numerical data/calculations and writeup which was quite good. The thing that always stuck with me about trying to posit correlations with snow with indice values is that some are much more stable on daily, weekly, monthly readings then others (i.e ENSO vs MJO). Most of these indices were invented in the 1970s or later, with limited ability to use distant pass observations to calculate any values outside a best guess for a yearly or seasonal value. The estimates can vary wildly and older studies are super hard to get their data, hell even newer ones can be a bitch to get it coming from an outside academia amateur hobbyist position.

Anyways, I distinctly remember how little seasonal and even monthly nao readings statistically impacted snowfall at DCA. I think maybe if one came up with a large multivariate dynamic system that looked at daily readings of all teleconnections to calculate parameters akin to distance, velocity, acceleration, force, momentum for each indice. While taking account for all the variables effect on each other on different time scales to adjust for inherent stability of each indice. Knowing the daily MJO phase is great, but how deep is it in the phase, how fast (absolute & net) in all plot dimensions is it traveling, same with any acceleration over different time periods, as well as distance. Now how does that daily pattern effect NAO (if at all) on different delayed time scales. If you think of a 7 days or 10 days (I e) of MJO readings as a unique song, then with calculated parameters each day as notes, with each parameters calculated parameters daily (as each notes flavors) over time then you slowly built up groupings via graph theory that essentially group all those songs into genres that have their own unique effects on the other indices depending on time scales. A large regional location like northeast, Midwest, ect maybe able to equate their exposure to genres taking into account order and time effects to a slight moderate correlation with regionwide seasonal snowfall. But even on a statewide level it comes down to randomness with a larger structural environment far more than any of us want to admit

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Later model trends in the last 24 hrs or so shifting (or perhaps tightening the western extent of) the heaviest rain axis to the east some ended up coming to fruition. Instead of western PA being the sharp cutoff zone it ended up being in this part of C-PA. Still in the decent steady rain for the time being but only at 0.45” in the rain gauge. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

44 and wrapping up at 1.45" of rain here.  Looks like MDT did a little over 2.5".  

2.20 rain here. Is there one more mow in the cards for you this year to seal the deal on that coveted lawn mowing trophy? Sorta like a come from behind win, when everyone else counted you out.

• Like 1