Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, WeatherX said:

Epic stretch from really Jan 94 through April 96 for the snow lovers. Not much went wrong. Good times

indeed... especially late November 95-April 96, seemed like 3-6/4-8" every other day with a couple biggins in there, that was a fun winter. 13/14 & 14/15 the first two winters after moving up here from Waterbury were pretty epic too, over 85" both years, legendary piles too for igloo making with my son

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

I grew up 17 mi southwest of Boston. In grade school we would bring our hockey sticks and skates to school. We would swap off every week which pond we would play on. Get the bus driver to drop us off at the pond. 1970 I think we played everyday but three in December. I just looked it up It was 6.8° below normal that year in December. In 68 and 69 we played almost the whole month.

We had the best of everything.  Music, winter summer life was good. Some don't know how good it actually was in the 60s early 70s. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tavwtby said:

indeed... especially late November 95-April 96, seemed like 3-6/4-8" every other day with a couple biggins in there, that was a fun winter. 13/14 & 14/15 the first two winters after moving up here from Waterbury were pretty epic too, over 85" both years, legendary piles too for igloo making with my son

Me being born in 2003 lol. 2013-2014 was the best winter I can recall. Pi day 2017 got me 22 inches and that was the best single storm total I've ever seen. I just wish I had been interested enough in weather back then to fully track it in the days leading up.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kazimirkai said:

Me being born in 2003 lol. 2013-2014 was the best winter I can recall. Pi day 2017 got me 22 inches and that was the best single storm total I've ever seen. I just wish I had been interested enough about weather back then to fully track it in the days leading up.

3/17 was a good one, capped off the last big winter here, been avg or below since...the one storm that got me hooked on weather, winter to be specific, was obviously 78, I know you weren't around and 13 we got more snow and better rates, and there's a few that come close but 78 is now folklore for us here old enough to remember... I'm sure Oct 11 2/13 and the stretch in Jan 2011 will be there as storied someday, but let's see if we can squeeze out a big one in an el nino year, happened before, it'll happen again! I know we've all got that itch...

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

We had the best of everything.  Music, winter summer life was good. Some don't know how good it actually was in the 60s early 70s. 

I remember how good it was in the 70s. Music was unbelievable. Still love many 60s tracks. Just get Spotify - entire world of music literally right at your fingertips.

6 minutes ago, Jebman said:

I remember how good it was in the 70s. Music was unbelievable. Still love many 60s tracks. Just get Spotify - entire world of music literally right at your fingertips.

Apple Music for me.  But yeah.  It was great for us but the generation above us hated it.  Inflation far worse than now and long lasting, crime, unemployment, but when you’re young those things don’t seem to worry you.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, WeatherX said:

If the 2009-2010 pattern becomes more apparent and real as we close in, you simply travel to get your fix. Did it in Feb 2010 drove to a diner in Nyack waiting for the changeover and then chased it driving home. Hopefully we won’t see that sharp cutoff scenario again this winter.

It's funny. In my memory that winter was an absolute dumpster disaster, but we actually got like 38". I would kill for that kind of season these days. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

It's funny. In my memory that winter was an absolute dumpster disaster, but we actually got like 38". I would kill for that kind of season these days. 

Ya …until someone to your south gets double you 

When I first moved back here from Florida and found this board … I would have been happy with a 15” winter snowfall , I lived in Burlington Ma and I believe December into early January started off fairly strong (2009-2010 I believe ) and then I believe it sort of waned in second half . 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya …until someone to your south gets double you 

When I first moved back here from Florida and found this board … I would have been happy with a 15” winter snowfall , I lived in Burlington Ma and I believe December into early January started off fairly strong (2009-2010 I believe ) and then I believe it sort of waned in second half . 

2009 -2010…??? It was a dumpster fire Pickles…mid Atlantic killed it in  09-10!!  Everything was suppressed…Snowmaggeddon  for the mid Atlantic!  Nothing up here!  God what a horror show!