Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's like a funeral home in here.

Almost unreadable....the funny thing is I don't think Decembers like 2011 or 2015 ever got close to this awful on the posting level. Maybe we were just deleting more stuff back then, but I don't really recall having to do that. 

• Like 3

Some sled trails I ride not far away are in big trouble and I'm sure more messages like this will be forthcoming. Not gonna be a preety sled season in many spots and business is going to take a beating.

Here’s the cold hard truth from the SSSC. We do not know what this season will bring. We are a small club located in two very small towns with limited funding opportunities. We have around 100 miles of trails. We have exhausted our yearly funding repairing the bridges and trails from this springs flooding. Only to have it washed away again. We appreciate the outpouring of support from our riders offering to help, it has been refreshing to see. The reality is this isn’t going to be a volunteer issue. It requires money to hire the contractors and heavy equipment it takes to build bridges and fix roads. Our grooming equipment requires heavy duty bridges and culverts. With the freeze up coming and snow soon to follow we do not believe we will be able to repair all, or possibly even any of our trails without a significant financial boost. It’s not the news anyone wants to hear but we want to be transparent.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, mreaves said:

There is evidence/speculation that coyotes have mated with wolves on their eastward migration.  Like Will said, coywolf.

Dollars to donuts, just regular old coyote.

When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” This maxim coined by Dr Theodore Woodward in the 1940s is a useful reminder that we should diagnose the common causes rather than search, at exorbitant length (and cost), for low probability causes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

Dollars to donuts, just regular old coyote.

When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” This maxim coined by Dr Theodore Woodward in the 1940s is a useful reminder that we should diagnose the common causes rather than search, at exorbitant length (and cost), for low probability causes

I don't disagree but there is more evidence for the the coywolf.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/coywolves-are-taking-over-eastern-north-america-180957141/

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

A hail marry coming to Northern Maine on the 12z GFS, A push of colder air into the crown up there on the 28th.

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Looks like 12z gfs will be coming in weaker and south with primary over western lakes , maybe cooler look for Maine this run for 27-28’th

It’ll start coming and staying now…a little more patience for us Jeff.. and then we’re golden.  Last year I didn’t get up there until 1/25…was a slow start too. 

6 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I don't disagree but there is more evidence for the the coywolf.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/coywolves-are-taking-over-eastern-north-america-180957141/

It’s sort of like Occams Razor ,usually correct  but sticking strictly to that mentality will cause you to miss outlier events (but who has the time to research everything and with an unbiased point of view )

18 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Revelstoke looks pretty good

Headed to interior BC XMAS day but have definitely had to scramble over the last two weeks changing plans which now includes a lot more driving and skiing further east. Now plan to ski Panorama, Kicking Horse and Lake Louise the first 5 days and remainder of days still are TBD due to snow situation. Had originally planned to stay in Nelson for bulk of the trip. On the ski thread I mentioned what hurts is being in Lech last year with marginal snow conditions - they already are reporting almost 3 meters of base on the slopes and looking at the webcams this morning there was a full on blizzard happening in the alpine.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Almost unreadable....the funny thing is I don't think Decembers like 2011 or 2015 ever got close to this awful on the posting level. Maybe we were just deleting more stuff back then, but I don't really recall having to do that. 

It might be time for everyone to take a bit of a mental break and refrain from posting for a few times. Enjoy the weekend with friends/family and come back fresh. Yes December sucked and it's painful but there are no indications that continues through January (at least not yet anyways). 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It might be time for everyone to take a bit of a mental break and refrain from posting for a few times. Enjoy the weekend with friends/family and come back fresh. Yes December sucked and it's painful but there are no indications that continues through January (at least not yet anyways). 

Adamant Snow  fans need to just learn that some posts will be stating reality and when reality bites they may need the break at least as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Anyway , I was surprised to see how poorly Mammoth Mountain was doing .

26” inches to date . I imagine they have extreme variation from month to month and year to year but I was curious if anyone in the lower 48 had a decent December .

Maybe Jackson Hole? (edit yup 125” summit / 76” mid mountain ) they average upper 400’s up top 

See I would say we had by far the best start to the season since 2018’s record November.  It all got completely reset though.  Theres still snow too… its just that it’s all a block of ice.

If we got a foot of snow, the snowpack is still there to open natural snow terrain.  But we are in a holding pattern now.

The irony is that the official record will show the Stake depth is just back to normal now :lol:.

1093401462_Screenshot2023-12-22113431.thumb.png.9760d04e20411f23897923a14b06155b.png

But there's still "snow", just in the form of a glacial ice pack.  Luckily wasn't a true total melt out.

1738126270_Screenshot2023-12-22113816.thumb.png.15890bb08a32fc20e2a2b2af9468073b.png

• Like 2