Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m hoping we can turn it around in January, going on 2 years without much winter weather here. After the Jan 22 blizzard, not much.

I'd sacrifice several bad winters for one of those 30+ events you seem to find your way into but yea, after a bad stretch that memory fades and we beg for winter again. 

• Like 1

will this be one of those winters where we get one monster and the rest is warm cutters and dry windy cold? has been the theme lately, and yeah I'd trade the rest of winter for a monster KU, was never really a pack or otg for start to finish guy, so yeah gimme a KU and I'll be happy if the rest is a rat

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Potential is there for all rain for sure.

We don’t get solid airmasses in here until early January with this pattern progression. We can have some workable ones later this month though…interior prob favored of course. But they could also be cutters too. I’d keep expectations fairly low for now but right now, I’d have higher expectations for the first half of January. 

Scott or Will can you chime in on the questions I asked those who favor a flip to a good pattern post NYE . Brooklyn answered in a clear concise way , I’m sure many here are curious to what you both think .

Particularly, how confident are you (1-10) in a flip to a favorable  or “real good” pattern now for the NYE time frame . How long do you think it lasts ( any scenarios you see as likely for time frames) and lastly if not very good , then how wide are the goal posts at this juncture for the flip period , serviceable , up and in (atleast) and is poop still a distinct possibility in your mind . Thank you and I’m NOT trying to tie Anyone to details that some troll will bring up 2 weeks later , I’m literally just looking for more of a dive into (stick neck out ) for that period that the majority seem to be waiting on and many counting on and consumes most of the boards back and forths 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We don’t get solid airmasses in here until early January with this pattern progression. We can have some workable ones later this month though…interior prob favored of course. But they could also be cutters too. I’d keep expectations fairly low for now but right now, I’d have higher expectations for the first half of January. 

Anything pre 2024 is a bonus.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Just stating what it shows. 12z gfs pretty similar 

I think the main issue is the approach. Your approach is just nothing's happening and nothing's going to happen. Close the shades till the end of the winter. The point that several people are trying to make is that things probably will change in the way. The forecasts are over 2 weeks out. So your comments always come across as if it's done and it looks like it's going to be that way through the winter. If you had a different approach You probably wouldn't get the comment you're getting.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

6 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I think the main issue is the approach. Your approach is just nothing's happening and nothing's going to happen. Close the shades till the end of the winter. The point that several people are trying to make is that things probably will change in the way. The forecasts are over 2 weeks out. So your comments always come across as if it's done and it looks like it's going to be that way through the winter. If you had a different approach You probably wouldn't get the comment you're getting.

it’s been so long since the pattern actually looked good for the coastal plain of SNE within 5 days I honestly can’t recall if Taunton gets excited when it does or mehs it when it looks good (probably back in winter 2021-22) I don’t remember the lead up to the memorable Taunton - Bridgewater crushing 30” and if he was full on weenie excited 

9 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Maybe we should make a fantasy/delusion thread for everyone to discuss their hopes and dreams for the rest of the winter? 

It is pretty irritating that you can’t state what an OP run shows. It suck’s it’s not snow, but we still discuss the weather here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Maybe we should make a fantasy/delusion thread for everyone to discuss their hopes and dreams for the rest of the winter? 

It is pretty irritating that you can’t state what an OP run shows. It suck’s it’s not snow, but we still discuss the weather here.

Most forums just go silent during periods of a crap pattern, but we have such a talkative group that I think the same back and forth would unfold in every subform if they all stayed busy all winter ..I mean the only positive thing to talk about is future changes and the only reality for the high confidence period of next 7 days is garbage and that has been rehashed for a week plus 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I'm frustrated to man. The optimistic side of me is really hoping that things will turn around. I'm not blind to what the models are showing, and most people on here intelligent enough to know what's going on. The difference is, we're not sticking your heads in the sand like this ugly pattern doesn't exist, we're trying to find pieces in the long range that shows a change. I think we would all agree that it would really suck if we had a second year in a row with crappy winter weather. 

I'm definitely not trying to attack you or anyone else who are taking the long-range models for what they are at the moment. Just know that there's a lot of us that also know that they can change and they probably will. The question is when.

Nobody ever used to post OP runs beyond D7-8 unless it showed something ridiculous like a cat 3 hurricane landfall or an epic blizzard and it was usually caveated with “just for fun”….I’m not sure why it’s become more common but it honestly degrades the discussion if it’s just posted and meant to be taken semi-seriously. 

OP runs are demonstrably way less accurate than an ensemble mean once you are out that far. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Scott or Will can you chime in on the questions I asked those who favor a flip to a good pattern post NYE . Brooklyn answered in a clear concise way , I’m sure many here are curious to what you both think .

Particularly, how confident are you (1-10) in a flip to a favorable  or “real good” pattern now for the NYE time frame . How long do you think it lasts ( any scenarios you see as likely for time frames) and lastly if not very good , then how wide are the goal posts at this juncture for the flip period , serviceable , up and in (atleast) and is poop still a distinct possibility in your mind . Thank you and I’m NOT trying to tie Anyone to details that some troll will bring up 2 weeks later , I’m literally just looking for more of a dive into (stick neck out ) for that period that the majority seem to be waiting on and many counting on and consumes most of the boards back and forths 

I think most of January is going to be decent to perhaps very good. I’m sure we’ll have a period of crap but I wouldn’t expect it to last long. I’m also not a long range expert…and even experts are going to be wrong a LOT when it comes to LR. 

Early in the month should be our first reasonable period of a longwave pattern that actually is better than climo to produce snow events. I think interior will be favored initially because we’re still working with regular polar airmasses, but the coast should get more chances as we go deeper into winter. I think a lot of people forget (I know Scott doesn’t, lol) that the coast was an epic dumpster fire outside of 12/5 in 2002-2003 until February. Even the cold january they got mostly skunked while the interior was knee deep in pack from Xmas and 1/3-4 interior bombs. 

For the “what can go wrong” idea…well, we get a decent pattern but it just doesn’t produce a lot of snow…or the better pattern gets can-kicked another 2 weeks which honestly wouldn’t be that shocking in an El Niño . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think most of January is going to be decent to perhaps very good. I’m sure we’ll have a period of crap but I wouldn’t expect it to last long. I’m also not a long range expert…and even experts are going to be wrong a LOT when it comes to LR. 

Early in the month should be our first reasonable period of a longwave pattern that actually is better than climo to produce snow events. I think interior will be favored initially because we’re still working with regular polar airmasses, but the coast should get more chances as we go deeper into winter. I think a lot of people forget (I know Scott doesn’t, lol) that the coast was an epic dumpster fire outside of 12/5 in 2002-2003 until February. Even the cold january they got mostly skunked while the interior was knee deep in pack from Xmas and 1/3-4 interior bombs. 

For the “what can go wrong” idea…well, we get a decent pattern but it just doesn’t produce a lot of snow…or the better pattern gets can-kicked another 2 weeks which honestly wouldn’t be that shocking in an El Niño . 

Yeah, that’s how I feel pretty much. Might even still be some issues in the first week like you said. But I think as we go deeper, it gets better it will have to, because eventually that low retrogrades near the Aleutian’s , and perhaps even tries to become a little ridging or less troughing  which means colder comes deeper into the CONUS. 

December appears to be about as bad as can be. I didn’t expect that even though I thought it would be mild. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, that’s how I feel pretty much. Might even still be some issues in the first week like you said. But I think as we go deeper, it gets better it will have to, because eventually that low retrogrades near the Aleutian’s , and perhaps even tries to become a little ridging or less troughing  which means colder comes deeper into the CONUS. 

December appears to be about as bad as can be. I didn’t expect that even though I thought it would be mild. 

Yeah I thought we’d prob sneak at least and advisory event i during the month of December…still could post-12/27 but it’s looking more precarious. 

That said, Nino Decembers can be hideous even in otherwise excellent winters. ‘57-58 was, 65-66 was, so was 14-15. I don’t think any of those Decembers had an event more than 2” in our area.