Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, George001 said:

I would take that and run. Get the best patterns during peak climo. Part of the issue with last year is when we had our “best” patterns we were fighting climo, while the heart of winter was a massive torch. Punting December isn’t ideal, but I see anything we get in December as a bonus. Punting January is really really bad. 

George, I'm loving the new look on you lol. You really have become more level-minded and right on par with all of your posts. Good for you!!

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also, end of EPS maybe trying to get that trough in AK to dig south as an Aleutian low? It's a bit of an extrapolation, but it sort of jives with tropical forcing. 

The weeklies sort of showed that happening when you break it down into the sub-week level. Between roughly the 20th and 25th it really tries to spike the PNA via Aleutian low intensification even if the absolute strength of the low isn’t super high yet. The fact that it tries to replace Aleutian ridging is enough. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The weeklies sort of showed that happening when you break it down into the sub-week level. Between roughly the 20th and 25th it really tries to spike the PNA via Aleutian low intensification even if the absolute strength of the low isn’t super high yet. The fact that it tries to replace Aleutian ridging is enough. 

The weeklies do show that. Lets see this get some traction as we get closer. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Up in Montreal now, they got plastered.  Even the traffic lights are caked up and down.

3C21E9A5-915F-411D-977B-2E5DF37BD98D.thumb.jpeg.9300fc61cd4555b158c1bd2d58fe8072.jpeg

B7E2EB12-DD30-4CC1-ABD3-44E753BD7BFA.thumb.jpeg.c8142753705b49e4157669f89a6df392.jpeg

E1872A31-CCCA-4883-87A9-CB5AE7138D50.thumb.jpeg.c3ce6b8544ca79d6489694d9e431eb85.jpeg

For driving up to Quebec City late tonight. I think they did get some snow on the ground up there as well. I'm hoping so as we're going to go to the old Christmas village and do some other things winter related

30 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

well for those who hate the early sunsets were a few days away from the earliest sunset of the year. Starting next week we make all so ever slow improvements for later sunsets. Bad news for those who hate the late sunrise...still another 6 weeks until the sun starts rising earlier. 

= more solar gain = faster melting sn. Winter is over:lol:

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

George, I'm loving the new look on you lol. You really have become more level-minded and right on par with all of your posts. Good for you!!

Dearth of "blizzard" triggers may have something to do with that.   haha

we'll see -

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

You need to fire up a blog post for the southerly wind threat. 

Pete Bouchard was pimping the "extreme winds" coming on Sunday...during yesterday's 6pm forecast. my first thought was-well, here comes another non-event.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

NAM has some snow showers for at least western sections Thursday...though greater potential may be more NY and NE PA. 

It is interesting to see the mesos with a lot of speckled precip around over the next 36-48 hours....maybe see off and on non accumulating flakes? NBD obviously, I feel like this type of weather would bring sprinkles/off and on showers 

Just now, SJonesWX said:

Pete Bouchard was pimping the "extreme winds" coming on Sunday...during yesterday's 6pm forecast. my first thought was-well, here comes another non-event.

It amazes me how some still don't understand these type of setups. We all know it's extremely difficult for these events to verify on the wind side. There is a clear cut differentiator in these type of events performing:

1) You need convection and strong convection so you need at least some degree of llvl instability 

2) Steep lapse rates - This is probably by far the biggest discriminator in these events producing on the wind side. 

There is always an inversion in these setups - always. Even the weakest of inversions will limit winds from mixing to the sfc. Towards the coast wind potential is usually higher but I don't see big wind potential on a widespread level with this. Even with a forced low topped squall line...I don't think the instability will be there to aid in momentum transport. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

It is interesting to see the mesos with a lot of speckled precip around over the next 36-48 hours....maybe see off and on non accumulating flakes? NBD obviously, I feel like this type of weather would bring sprinkles/off and on showers 

Yeah there is definitely sneaky potential for snow showers scattered about these next few days. So for anyone looking for flakes (whether it's first flakes or just to get in the mood) these next few days offers some opportunities.