Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2023 General Discussion

cyclone77

20 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Wednesday and Thursday featured top notch weather around here for a week before Thanksgiving, with both days featuring  highs in the mid-60's and ample sun.

We've reached the point where there's an abnormal amount of foliage still lingering, some of which is still green. Even with the cool down coming for a period of time after Thanksgiving, it's looking likely we'll be still carrying some foliage, some green, on into early December.

oddly, I drove I-80 to NYC this week. It seemed like most areas were pretty much bare except for our area.

6 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Apple trees still have green leaves in my backyard as well as the Bradford pears. Maples are brown but still hanging on o e tree. Oaks haven’t dropped yet either. 

That sounds like 2 weeks behind here. Is it common on the lakeshore? I'd guess the same is seen in terms of a delay in spring blooming?

Was down to 23 here this morning under clear, calm conditions.  High today should top out in the mid-upper 30's, which is seasonal.

Slow start to the snow season.  Have to go all the way back to 2012 to not have at least some snow otg on today's date.   In 2015 there was just a trace but every other year there was ground cover.  To date MQT has received 4.7 inches, average is 17.2 inches (-12.5").

Not complaining, actually don't really mind.

• Like 3

Last warmish day for awhile today.  Should make it to near 60.  Perfect day for the last round of leaf/yard cleanup for '23.  

A little light rain late Monday/Monday night but other than that it looks very quiet.  A few wussy snow systems have fleetingly shown up at times next weekend and the week after, but doesn't look like anything to get too excited about.  Hopefully things get more active in December.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Yikes, this week's big "cooldown" vaporized like Sarah Connor in the opening scene of Terminator 2.  Like I said, modest cooldown this week, then back to regularly scheduled torch.

Although I'm fine with this outcome before the holidays, I hope it's not a trend for the winter.   

• Like 1

It's going to be one of those weeks that the sun will be in much shorter supply. The upcoming weekend doesn't look great, either. The only day we'll have any luck getting sun over the next several days will be Thanksgiving. Overall, a pretty dreary Thanksgiving week ahead, with a few days of rain and some days of suicide weather.

I just can't help but think that dry/warm conditions in November are going to lead to wet/cool conditions as we swing into DJF. Overall though I think we have to admit the CONUS has not been overly volatile compared to stretches we've seen in the 21st century which probably is not a terrible thing considering the prolific tornado seasons & winters that we've been hit with in the past 23 years

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chambana said:

I knew things have been quiet, but how quiet? We have yet to make a storm thread this fall, and judging by the long range we are gonna be waiting awhile. 

DTW's coldest high since the 1st. Currently in the 30s with a WC below freezing as a system heads this way. I'm fine with this for November. This is better than a premature snowstorm like say 11-11-19. 

image.png.b53d32e9d96fd996d9f05b77e7a078aa.png

If it's going to be split-flow, aka S Stream dominant then we just need it a bit colder than last winter which basically featured that same Nino styled pattern. A repeating theme has been these cold pools of air just NE of here (where it is currently in the 20s) feeding into this region. Not ideal, but work-able imo. 

22 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

DTW's coldest high since the 1st. Currently in the 30s with a WC below freezing as a system heads this way. I'm fine with this for November. This is better than a premature snowstorm like say 11-11-19. 

image.png.b53d32e9d96fd996d9f05b77e7a078aa.png

If it's going to be split-flow, aka S Stream dominant then we just need it a bit colder than last winter which basically featured that same Nino styled pattern. A repeating theme has been these cold pools of air just NE of here (where it is currently in the 20s) feeding into this region. Not ideal, but work-able imo. 

November has been very benign. After starting with a dusting of snow on the ground, there has been quite a bit of sun. 

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

November has been very benign. After starting with a dusting of snow on the ground, there has been quite a bit of sun. 

11/8 was a significant system for much of SEMI but north of the 94 corridor unfortunately. 

Now we are about to get the 2nd sig system so while there has been a lot of pleasant sunny days, it hasn't been a total snoozefest. 

Hourly showing 0.82" at DTW. Hoping for an over-performer. Late morning looking quite raw with WC's in the 30s and ongoing SHRN.

image.png.40a15036005b22c11f6bd878d109a013.png

• Like 1