Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023-24 Longrange Discussion

michsnowfreak

21 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Also didn’t it get down to the single didgets?

Yes. It got down to 7° on Nov 13, 2019 which is the earliest single digits on record for Detroit. The bitter cold and deep snowcover before hitting mid November was surreal and clearly not a sign of the winter that was on the way (although we did get some other good snows, it was mild).

It will be interesting to see who will see more precip from dec-feb, fort myers or detroit. I have no idea historically who receives more precip.  Having lived in Florida in the winters for awhile now and with it being their dry season, it'll be interesting if el nino follows through and its a wet winter. 2 seasons ago, I think it rained 2 days from christmas through february in fort myers. With that being said, I'd guess detroit sees more precip normally, but it'll be interesting if the tele's will have enough influence on the el nino enso and push that storm track further north so it's not another dull winter up north.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

It will be interesting to see who will see more precip from dec-feb, fort myers or detroit. I have no idea historically who receives more precip.  Having lived in Florida in the winters for awhile now and with it being their dry season, it'll be interesting if el nino follows through and its a wet winter. 2 seasons ago, I think it rained 2 days from christmas through february in fort myers. With that being said, I'd guess detroit sees more precip normally, but it'll be interesting if the tele's will have enough influence on the el nino enso and push that storm track further north so it's not another dull winter up north.

It's a hard comparison. It definitely will rain/snow on more days in Detroit, but total amounts are probably relatively close on average. 

13 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's a hard comparison. It definitely will rain/snow on more days in Detroit, but total amounts are probably relatively close on average. 

30 year average for Detroit.  6.64”. 
30 year average for Fort Myers. 5.64”

• Thanks 2

On 10/14/2023 at 7:11 PM, michsnowfreak said:

What IS a realistic hope is for a good stretch of deep Winter in any given season. A snow season often spans six months between first and last flakes, so not unreasonable to get some deep Winter stretches.

Good outbreaks of CAW seem to last only about 6 wks max. It is the rare events like the Jan '85 flip that may exceed that. Less than 6 wks ofc happens way more often. 

On 10/17/2023 at 12:22 AM, michsnowfreak said:

Yes. It got down to 7° on Nov 13, 2019 which is the earliest single digits on record for Detroit. The bitter cold and deep snowcover before hitting mid November was surreal and clearly not a sign of the winter that was on the way (although we did get some other good snows, it was mild).

Translation - it sucked

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Winter Storm Warning criteria has increased to 7" for MBY.  Changes for most of MI.  :mapsnow:

image.png.e0997bd36ebf1b562e19160d48ea3019.png

Expect more WWA that will be for 4-6" and people complaining that there isn't a warning out. Idk why there was a change though, doesn't make much sense.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Expect more WWA that will be for 4-6" and people complaining that there isn't a warning out. Idk why there was a change though, doesn't make much sense.

I understand the lake shore counties (LES belts).  I agree that over here it makes little sense. 

Josh could now get three 6.9" snow events in one winter and still not get warning criteria :lol:.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

It seems silly to have U.P. counties that have a 6 inch criteria bordering counties with an 8 inch criteria. That is unnecessarily confusing in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1