Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

5 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Here are the number of days at BTV with a high among the top 3 warmest on record, since 2020:

2020: 25

2021: 21

2022: 21

2023: 17 (so far)

Here are the number of days at BTV with a low among the top 3 coldest on record, since 2020:

2020: 2

2021: 0

2022: 0

2023: 1 (so far)

Same analysis at Caribou, ME (CAR) [records dating to January 1939]. There's more of all records with the considerably shorter POR, but same story. 2020 was particularly extreme in both measures compared to other recent years. In 2020, almost one out of every ten days was among the 3 warmest.

Here are the number of days at CAR with a high among the top 3 warmest on record, since 2020:

2020: 34

2021: 29

2022: 25

2023: 10 (so far)

Here are the number of days at BTV with a low among the top 3 coldest on record, since 2020:

2020: 14

2021: 3

2022: 4

2023: 4 (so far)

3 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I'm looking forward to @TheClimateChanger's report on this TX cold snap 

That cold snap probably won't do much to change the fact that Texas (along with all but one Gulf Coast state) are on pace to see their warmest year in 129 years of record keeping. The shifting of goalposts is interesting, we're so used to record warmth that one cold snap is seen as an inexplicable event that somehow offsets all of the other positive anomalies. 

202309.png.dc28dfd850f2a028e52c34455f67d4b3.png

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

That cold snap probably won't do much to change the fact that Texas (along with all but one Gulf coast state) are on pace to see their warmest year in 129 years of record keeping. The shifting of goalposts is interesting, we're so used to record warmth that one cold snap is seen as an inexplicable event that somehow offsets all of the other positive anomalies. 

202309.png.dc28dfd850f2a028e52c34455f67d4b3.png

Where do you come off with that idea? It's a notable cold snap for them and kind of goes to the point that while the NE was warm this month, the south was cooler relative to normal. Nobody's refuting how warm 2023 has been for a large put of the east and south.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's a notable cold snap for them and kind of goes to the point that while the NE was warm this month, the south was cooler relative to normal

On the whole the South has skewed AN so far this month. Maybe the next 36 hours will tip the scales a bit to the side of BN temps, but not by much. 

1698667200-52EbKVTmKSs.thumb.png.5040324bb6129040275d54a257c39a4f.png

3 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes sir…remember both the T Giving one that year, and the Xmas day one too. Xmas day one started as rain..and changed to snow in the afternoon here. 

Double bust here, not in the good way.  I don't remember the forecast for 11/27-28/2002 (we had 0.2" here) but the Christmas night storm was progged for 8-12 here.  It verified with 1.0" while GYX, 55 miles south, recorded 18.0", at the time their biggest.  SIL in east Augusta had 15" and Belgrade Village, 12 miles to our SE, had 8".  Sharp cutoff, anyone.

That entire winter was suppression city here, with only the 7" in mid-November and 13.8" in early January being notable.  Total was nearly 2 feet BN and ranks 19th of 25 winters. 
(The DJFM period in 02-03 was our driest and 3rd coldest, with the dozen mornings in the minus 20s showing decisively than I can't grow peaches here.)

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes as a whole for the month the south will be a lot cooler, especially the SE.

Cooler than the Northeast or the 30yr average? That area being cooler relative to NE's record warmth is a no brainer, but the map above indicates that the South as a whole will finish above the 1991-2020 average. The small nugget of BN temps in the Southeast doesn't offset the anomalies found to the West.

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Cooler than the Northeast or the 30yr average? That area being cooler relative to NE's record warmth is a no brainer, but the map above indicates that the South as a whole will finish above the 1991-2020 average. The small nugget of BN temps in the Southeast doesn't offset the anomalies found to the West.

No from an anomaly POV. Especially the SE. So based on their average temps. New England was a torch, especially NNE.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

So…moving forward…we get another nice cold dump nicely signaled with some fun potential around d9-11 per ensembles and then the flow relaxes but it’s kind of heartening to see the thumb projection just north of AK.  It suggests we may reload again maybe around the 15-20th or so.  November is not shaping up warm by any means.

If we relax for a couple of weeks it still could be an AN month for sure. It's hard for me to go BN unless I see strong evidence. However, I don't see a massive torch signal either like a SE ridge for instance.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

No from an anomaly POV. Especially the SE. So based on their average temps. New England was a torch, especially NNE.

And the post from PF noting how late it was with no freeze and contrasting it with much colder temps 1500+ miles to the southwest started the angry/disgusted/whatever posts that seemed to brand we NNE folk as climate change deniers.  We just like pointing out anomalous wx phenomena, with my favorite being during our 1st December in Maine (1973) and seeing 56° at BGR while my parents in NNJ had 15° (and western CT was in a major ice storm).

Sill mid 30s RA here with occasional IP incursions.  Today will be just the 2nd with BN temps since 10/15 and the month will be 2nd mildest of 26.
My parsing of a number of Maine co-ops show warming since the 1960s-70s cooldown, with the steepest climb since 2000.  Also with increased snowfall this century, as predicted by many climate models.

• Like 1