Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

11 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Well of course personal opinion, but no one is going to convince me that somebody in anywhere near their right mind is able to do something like that. I'm not arguing the gun point, I don't own them myself. I had a friend I turned in anonymously years ago who had guns and I knew he was not somebody that should have them.

Anger and hate from socio economic and political ideologies, which fuel a big chunk of mass murders, is not mental illness. We don’t view international terrorists as mentally ill. We blame religion extremism and the like but somehow domestic terrorism is immediately tied to it. Again, this guy apparently was mentally ill so the application is appropriate. 

This sucks anyway you slice it. Unfortunately it’s just another day in America.

• Like 1

The bowling coach Bob Violette that i bowled with at Sparetime which is now Just in Time bowling was killed shielding the youth league bowlers there last night as well as the bartender Trish and one other manager (Tom) who tried to tackle this guy was also killed, As soon as you walk in the bowling center, The bar is right in front.

• Sad 13

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The bowling coach Bob Violette that i bowled with at Sparetime which is now Just in Time bowling was killed shielding the youth league bowlers there last night as well as the bartender Trish and one other manager (Tom) who tried to tackle this guy was also killed, As soon as you walk in the bowling center, The bar is right in front.

So sorry to hear that.  My mom's cousin, Jason was killed there.  

My grandmother is one of 9 from Lewiston - Walker family - most of their kids/families still live in the area.   

• Haha 1
  • Sad 8

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Terrible.  Sorry you and your community are going through this.  Absolutely senseless.  

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Horrific.  

This country has got to get very tough again on crime….give the police all their power back,  and all their abilities back.  If not….then unfortunately the Wild West will be making a big come back.  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

The nonsense is a society where a machine gun is at the beck and call of every warped, troubled soul.

This is false.  Since the mid 1980s it has been extremely difficult to acquire a legal full-auto weapon.  I'm not familiar with all the red tape but it includes a deep-dive character check and a stiff fee to ATF, among other things.  That said:

1.  I've no idea whether this shooter's weapon was full-auto or semi-auto.  It looks like a tactical rifle (a.k.a. "assault weapon"), one on which various attachments - telescopic scope, night-vision scope, laser aim point, rangefinder, etc - can be quickly installed/removed.
2.  A semi-auto with a 30-shot clip might be more deadly than a full-auto, though this trained former military man may have sufficient work with full-auto to hold the barrel down.  A friend used to own, legally, a full-auto mini-14 and a 40-shot clip.  I got to fire a full clip once, and on 3-shot burst I was unable to hold the muzzle down, such that shots 2,3 were off-target high.
3.  My Remington Model 76 pump in .30-06 is probably far more powerful than what the killer was shooting, but my rifle's max is 5 cartridges not 30, and the small but fast .223 that's most common on his kind of weapon is plenty deadly and likely able to penetrate the Kevlar safety vest.

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Horrific.  

This country has got to get very tough again on crime….give the police all their power back,  and all their abilities back.  If not….then unfortunately the Wild West will be making a big come back.  

No. We’re not an authoritarian state where police have unchecked powers. Mass shootings also have zero to do with us “not being tough on crime”. We have the highest incarceration rates in the world. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No. We’re not an authoritarian state where police have unchecked powers. Mass shootings also have zero to do with us “not being tough on crime”. 

You and I will never agree on any of this Luke…that’s why I suggested take all this to banter…but folks are refusing to do that. 

And all of this has everything to do with soft on crime…that’s the root issue. And no one is suggesting an authoritarian state at all.  But The police have systematically been defunded, and their power has been decreased to a frightening degree. If you’re gonna state your points, and make your comments ..I will state and make mine. But again, we will respectfully disagree on this whole idea. 

I will not respond any further on any of this. I feel very badly for Lewiston, and for Jeff, this is absolutely horrible.  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Spoke with a good friend of mine that i bowled with and he played corn hole with Rob at Schmenngees in a league this past winter, He also bowled in the Weds night league at sparetime so now i know why he chose both places.

I know the lanes, I bowled there when I was on the tour. Such a sad day, hope they catch this guy soon.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

You and I will never agree on any of this Luke…that’s why I suggested take all this to banter…but folks are refusing to do that. 

And all of this has everything to do with soft on crime…that’s the root issue. And no one is suggesting an authoritarian state at all.  But The police have systematically been defunded, and their power has been decreased to a frightening degree. If you’re gonna state your points, and make your comments ..I will state and make mine. But again, we will respectfully disagree on this whole idea. 

I will not respond any further on any of this. I feel very badly for Lewiston, and for Jeff, this is absolutely horrible.  

You are wrong and that’s not just my opinion…it’s the data’s. Respectfully, turn off faux news. 

More thoughts and prayers for now though, we can agree on that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You are wrong and that’s not just my opinion…it’s the data’s. Respectfully, turn off faux news. 

More thoughts and prayers for now though, we can agree on that.

Nahh..I’m not wrong. And I don’t care whose opinion it is. And Now you’re making suggestions that aren’t any of your business. And I don’t appreciate it. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

were police defunded in 1999 when columbine happened?  were we soft on crime then?  How about Virginia Tech in 2007?  

There's been a large increase in mass shootings at the same time we've seen a steep decline in gun homicides....there's definitely something deeper going on. In 1985, you could buy an uzi relatively easily, but we didn't have people spraying Walmart customers every few months. I'm not a gun nut and have no problem banning an AR-15....but that would probably only be a small piece of the solution.

• Like 3

The people who choose to commit these cowardly acts do so because...well they can. There is nothing from stopping someone from doing so. Stricter policies, laws, whatever, is only a small piece of the puzzle. Banning things isn't going to be a total fix, especially where the black market is available. While there are also policies in place preventing certain individuals from being able to possess weapons...that isn't going to stop someone from trying or obtaining. In terms of laws, laws are in place to punish crimes, not prevent them. Those who entertain in criminal behavior don't give a crap about the law. This issue is so deep and we will never, ever, every fix this as a society because there will never be enough people to come to an agreement. The, "This is my thinking and I'm right and you're wrong" mindset we've developed in this country is sickening. 

• Like 2