Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

13 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Yes. And really, the last thing I want to see is snow before Thanksgiving... usually not a good omen

Love the comedy this morning. We are right where we should be despite the comical posts today…good stuff.  Most inland locations will most likely frost early next week.  And if not, then the Halloween cold shot, that was supposed to be a big warm shot lol will do it.   Everything is on track. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Love the comedy this morning. We are right where we should be despite the comical posts today…good stuff.  Most inland locations will most likely frost early next week.  And if not, then the Halloween cold shot, that was supposed to be a big warm shot lol will do it.   Everything is on track. 

I am growing very concerned for your well being should we have another crappy winter.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I am growing very concerned for your well being should we have another crappy winter.

Well when folks wait 9 months for the 50% chance to have less than 30-60” of snow (general average spread where people live) in SNE I usually worry about them every season. If I couldn’t chase snow I’d be in a padded room waiting for A winter that makes me happy .

Id actually like to do a psychological experiment and put powder freak on The cape for the T giving to April 1 period and monitor his vitals and give him access to A room with a ceiling fan , local forecasts , thermometer , rain boots a bottle of Jack and a reindeer sweater 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

We aren’t Scott.  I think you know this too. It won’t be last year…and that’s all I/we need to know.  It will be better.  Even if I finish at 30” this year, which is 18-20” below normal, it’ll feel big.  It’s a win win this year due to last year being so dam bad.  

The bug and cricket, and the fake cold BS talk is fun…and sparks conversation, which is good, but we all know it means nothing in the grand scheme of things, on what the winter will bring.  

Like I said above, we had posts last Thursday/Friday talking about 70 plus for this eeek…that won’t be happening. Nice autumn cool shot coming early next week now. And all of a sudden Halloween looking quite crisp now(after the blowtorch look of prior runs).  But we have bug and cricket and mosquito talk, and endless summer talk.  

Either way…I’ll be sledding in N. Maine as I always do, and that gets me my fill, whether we rat or not. But as of now, I don’t see a rat walking in again.  So I’m the record saying so. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Well when folks wait 9 months for the 50% chance to have less than 30-60” of snow (general average spread where people live) in SNE I usually worry about them every season. If I couldn’t chase snow I’d be in a padded room waiting for A winter that makes me happy .

Id actually like to do a psychological experiment and put powder freak on The cape for the T giving to April 1 period and monitor his vitals and give him access to A room with a ceiling fan , local forecasts , thermometer , rain boots a bottle of Jack and a reindeer sweater 

I don’t feel that way anymore. I used to. More shit going on in life for me to care about. Sure it’s disappointing, but I know warm season is coming up and lately that hasn’t disappointed. Perhaps too much rain this summer, but overall summer temps and SSTs going up. Works for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t feel that way anymore. I used to. More shit going on in life for me to care about. Sure it’s disappointing, but I know warm season is coming up and lately that hasn’t disappointed. Perhaps too much rain this summer, but overall summer temps and SSTs going up. Works for me. 

And it doesn’t get to me as much anymore either. Disappointing..yes,  as you said. But as you also pointed out, it’s just weather now.  Love the excitement of an approaching winter potential as much as I ever did.  But if things don’t pan out, it’s not as much of a let down anymore either.   

But we will do better this year than last. I’m Standing by that idea.  

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

52 days until the sunsets start getting later. It’s hard to believe winter’s over before it even started, but here we are. 

Yup. But the sunrises keep getting later til after the new year…at least we can look forward to that a little longer.  But Then spring is just about here by that time anyway, so maybe not even that.  Ahh well, another winter in the books. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

We all make life choices… lol.

Part of me thinks the Cape would be at least interesting for wind and nor’easters.  I could trick myself into interesting weather out on the cape, watching the ocean, etc.  Stuff me in like PVD and then I’d crack.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

And it doesn’t get to me as much anymore either. Disappointing..yes,  as you said. But as you also pointed out, it’s just weather now.  Love the excitement of an approaching winter potential as much as I ever did.  But if things don’t pan out, it’s not as much of a let down anymore either.   

But we will do better this year than last. I’m Standing by that idea.  

It's actually been 4 ratters in a row, I didn't think last year could have been worse than the year before, but it was. Odds are on our side though, an average winter would be the best of the last 5 years.

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Just because folks only engage here to any great extent when it snows doesn't mean they sit in a corner trembling and urinating themselves the other 9 months.

• Weenie 2

37 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I was just gonna comment on that -

COD appears to have changed their algorithm.  Particularly in the lower levels - I'm not sure that is intended or if that is an artifact of a 'bug' in the rendering, but I kind of like it.  If studying the loop of that image, you can clearly tell by behavior that is highlighting the RH fields trapped below some 900 or so mb inversion.   Pretty cool ... 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We all make life choices… lol.

Part of me thinks the Cape would be at least interesting for wind and nor’easters.  I could trick myself into interesting weather out on the cape, watching the ocean, etc.  Stuff me in like PVD and then I’d crack.

For a variety of reasons lol

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

COD appears to have changed their algorithm.  Particularly in the lower levels - I'm not sure that is intended or if that is an artifact of a 'bug' in the rendering, but I kind of like it.  If studying the loop of that image, you can clearly tell by behavior that is highlighting the RH fields trapped below some 900 or so mb inversion.   Pretty cool ... 

I also came just to see if anyone had commented on the satellite presentation this morning. I don't recall ever being able to see multiple distinct stratus layers in visible imagery like that before. 

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Just because folks only engage here to any great extent when it snows doesn't mean they sit in a corner trembling and urinating themselves the other 9 months.

Can you take down this post please.  I told my wife we’re all like this.

• Haha 7

44 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Ah, ok - didn't realize they changed something.

That's actually a relief.  Thought I had accidentally consumed more than a micro-dose of fungi this morning.  

• Haha 2