Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

I’m thinking we get wet here today… lot of precip to the west heading this way…it won’t all dry up. Further north looks nice and dry. 

It looks like Fairfield county is getting some pretty heavy rain returns ( strange... It almost looks like sleet with the reds? )..... anyway.... We are right on that cusp... Even me being 5-7 miles north of you can make a difference. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Mount Mansfield fell to 31F this morning, first 32F or lower of the season and second latest on record (Oct 19, 2021).

Some interesting stats:

From 1956-2000… first 32F or lower occurred in October only once!  It happened in August 7 times.

Since 2000… first 32F or lower has happened in October 7 times and 0 times in August.

Most eye opening is the 1956-2023 period average 32F or lower date is 9/15.  Since 2000 however, that first freeze has occurred prior to 9/15 only 4 out of 23 years.  19 of last 23 years it has after the long term mean of September 15th.

Growing season continues to extend in the means.

It did that (bold) in a +2.5 SD PNA/-2 SD NAO, too

That's an interesting result given these indices have been evolving for 10 days.

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It did that (bold) in a +2.5 SD PNA/-2 SD NAO, too

That's an interesting result given these indices have been evolving for 10 days.

Yeah and likewise in the Valley at 750ft we have not had a below normal day yet this month and sit at +8.

When the trough has come, it’s been cloudy, showery and zero radiational cooling.

Record warmth for first half of October.  Average right now is 58/36… should be frosty most mornings at this point.  We are past BTV’s climo frost/freeze program dates now.

7ECAEEB0-8307-43ED-AA47-1869ECC2C927.jpeg.22c53548589f08f87c3ee94b87a7df48.jpeg

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s why I roll with the warm season. You can’t fight back the tide.

Yeah and to clarify I’m not pointing it out in any way other than to show the data. It’s not alarming or a cause/effect or whatever.

It literally is what it is. It’s like when DIT says it isn’t like it used to be, that’s largely true removing all emotion from the context.

I know sometimes people don’t want to hear it, but I think statistically it’s very interesting when you keep getting long term data points showing similar trajectories.

The mountain summit has largely pivoted from freezes in late August and first half of September, to 2nd half of September and early October.  There will be outliers on both sides, but the general picture is what it is.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah and to clarify I’m not pointing it out in any way other than to show the data. It’s not alarming or a cause/effect or whatever.

It literally is what it is. It’s like when DIT says it isn’t like it used to be, that’s largely true removing all emotion from the context.

I know sometimes people don’t want to hear it, but I think statistically it’s very interesting when you keep getting long term data points showing similar trajectories.

The mountain summit has largely pivoted from freezes in late August and first half of September, to 2nd half of September and early October.  There will be outliers on both sides, but the general picture is what it is.

I’m sort of poking the bear too lol. But yeah it’s getting warmer. No doubt. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah and likewise in the Valley at 750ft we have not had a below normal day yet this month and sit at +8.

When the trough has come, it’s been cloudy, showery and zero radiational cooling.

Record warmth for first half of October.  Average right now is 58/36… should be frosty most mornings at this point.  We are past BTV’s climo frost/freeze program dates now.

7ECAEEB0-8307-43ED-AA47-1869ECC2C927.jpeg.22c53548589f08f87c3ee94b87a7df48.jpeg

Not quite as extreme here - instead of BTV's +13 on Oct 1-7 then +2 Oct 8th on, it was +10 then -1 here.  Looks like the next week here will continue dry and seasonable.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Outside shot at my first November first freeze ever. CON has never made it out of October without a freeze either although I’m sure they’ll sneak one in.

It’s been some mild nights for sure.  SLK/BML/HIE should be hitting freezing with regularity.  I know they’ve snuck it in once or twice maybe?  But the radiators are not mounting up lol.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not quite as extreme here - instead of BTV's +13 on Oct 1-7 then +2 Oct 8th on, it was +10 then -1 here.  Looks like the next week here will continue dry and seasonable.

That’s MVL… BTV is ever so slightly cooler (averaging 1F departure less than the mountain valleys) because BTV doesn’t have as much radiational cooling baked into its climo as much as the others.  So BTV is actually slightly lower departures because of that.

• Thanks 1

On the topic of "changes", this depiction of Grafton Maine has a telling sentence " Frosts came unfailingly in late June and mid-August, and were not unknown in July.  The average summer temperature in the warmest month (July) was sixty-six degrees."  

https://www.bethelhistorical.org/legacy-site/Grafton,_Maine__A_Historical_Sketch.html

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thoughts and prayers to future generations. 

the one positive is we will be able to grow food in areas that never had much of a growing season....if it rains of course. I think the biggest concern outside of coastal and already baked regions are the diseases from ticks and mosquitos...EEE is one where the later the freezes take, the longer that virus can spread in a region. Naegleria fowleri and Vibrio infections from warmer water are other issues that seem to be increasing year after year right now. It isn't just lack of A/C in northern regions and less ice unfortunately

• Sad 1

Looks like we'll dodge the outre October snow this autumn.  The mass field/indicators are neutralizing and or reversing sign as we head through the next two weeks.   It would be comical if that's when we get the cold pop tart snow shot across the bow, but cross that bridge.  

I'm not buying the cold wave in a week - or it may happen in a diminished capacity compared to what we are seeing in these operational runs. I don't believe the wholesale amplitude survives model magnification correction as it nears. Some, sure.. but with the telecon trajectory already underway ...  In other words, I'm siding with the ensemble mean eof derivatives.

39 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

the one positive is we will be able to grow food in areas that never had much of a growing season....if it rains of course. I think the biggest concern outside of coastal and already baked regions are the diseases from ticks and mosquitos...EEE is one where the later the freezes take, the longer that virus can spread in a region. Naegleria fowleri and Vibrio infections from warmer water are other issues that seem to be increasing year after year right now. It isn't just lack of A/C in northern regions and less ice unfortunately

Concerns??  Really?   Why worry about such complete and utter nonsense…??  

Just enjoy the weather when it’s nice.  Enjoy the snow when it comes. Nothing you, or anybody is gonna do about any of what you’re worried about. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Concerns??  Really?   Why worry about such complete and utter nonsense…??  

Just enjoy the weather when it’s nice.  Enjoy the snow when it comes. Nothing you, or anybody is gonna do about any of what you’re worried about. 

Beer?

I don’t think anyone here is kept up at night worrying about the warming climate. But what’s the problem with discussing possible scenarios and outcomes? If you don’t like it skip over the posts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1