• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SolidIcewx

25 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Sad news from the Keewenaw. This guy loved snow possibly more than anyone, and had quite a following.

http://www.keweenawreport.com/news/obituary-john-paul-dee/?fbclid=IwAR1EB8u8X4Wo769NhiuNuEeLnbiy-D9ojNpFOTopLmR1QogIgY0sEqd5dp8

Just saw this and came here to post as well. RIP John Dee. 

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Sad news from the Keewenaw. This guy loved snow possibly more than anyone, and had quite a following.

http://www.keweenawreport.com/news/obituary-john-paul-dee/?fbclid=IwAR1EB8u8X4Wo769NhiuNuEeLnbiy-D9ojNpFOTopLmR1QogIgY0sEqd5dp8

Definitely not the news I wanted to see this morning.  When I fell in love with the UP as a kid while still in Indiana, I lived vicariously through John Dee, his journals, pictures, the web cam page.  I am very saddened by this, especially for his wife and young daughter.  He was just about to complete their new home in Jacobsville, that he built basically by himself after surprising his wife a few years ago by buying the land and home her Grandparents owned when she was a child. 

The end of an era.  RIP John.

• Sad 1

Super bummed.

Trying to think back to when I connected with John's site - probably around 2000 - was such a window to the UP, meteorology, snowmobiling and then, as he was the snow man, it was magic.

We enjoyed one of his snowmobile Ride In Make-a-Wish fundraising events probably 17ish years ago. That weekend in Houghton and on the Keweenaw, we met people from all over and local business owners out at their places on the trails in such a unique way. I know those events were a team effort with friends of John and the site but it would have never happened without him.

What an ambassador he was.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2023 at 8:22 AM, weatherbo said:

Definitely not the news I wanted to see this morning.  When I fell in love with the UP as a kid while still in Indiana, I lived vicariously through John Dee, his journals, pictures, the web cam page.  I am very saddened by this, especially for his wife and young daughter.  He was just about to complete their new home in Jacobsville, that he built basically by himself after surprising his wife a few years ago by buying the land and home her Grandparents owned when she was a child. 

The end of an era.  RIP John.

Definitely was a stopper for me getting this news, I have followed John for many many years, never met him personally but judging from reactions from his friends and family he was an amazing person.  I truly feel for his family especially his wife and adaugher and right before the holidays. John had a lot of health issues over is life was very outspoken about them, never once did I feel or believe he was bitter or anger regarding his health situations from reading his Journals he always handled them with dignity and grace.

Their is a GoFundMe created for him to assist with his untimely death. I am not one to normally promote or assist with these but I truely feel this is a worthy cause for his family. 

https://gofund.me/fd800fa6

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Stebo said:

Wow, that area doesn't usually get too much snow.

I spent 4 months (summer) working in Gustavus Alaska at Glacier NP back in the 90s.  I asked the locals what the typical winter is like.  They said 0 to over 200" of snow and everything in between.  Every year is complete different based on the storm track/winds.

One of my best summers.  Loved it up there :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Cold HP's have been plunging down just east of us so it's a matter of time until it is cold enough to make the storms dump on NY/New England. Nino hand writing on the wall. 

It's almost a given that this Winter will be better for them than last year for them. 

I think this winter will be colder here than last winter. Snow is the wild card 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wanted to spread some positivity especially with so much animosity and negativity in this world. Today I’m thankful for family, the great thanksgiving dinner we will enjoy, and a job that provides for me as well as my family. 

be thankful for the small things, as some people have nothing. Happy thanksgiving everyone and safe travels!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

I wanted to spread some positivity especially with so much animosity and negativity in this world. Today I’m thankful for family, the great thanksgiving dinner we will enjoy, and a job that provides for me as well as my family. 

be thankful for the small things, as some people have nothing. Happy thanksgiving everyone and safe travels!

Great post. Happy Thanksgiving all!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Great post. Happy Thanksgiving all!

I 2nd that. 

Who's ready for Lions football, turkey dinner, and measurable snowfall to round out the holiday weekend?

DTX:

This system will begin to organize today as a cutoff low over the Four Corners
region. Eventually a northern stream clipper will dislodge it into a
more progressive open wave that reaches southeast Michigan on
Sunday. There is still plenty of time to sort out the details, but
this is the next meaningful chance for measurable precipitation with
a strong signal for all snow. Over 90% of ensemble members across
the solution space support this p-type, with further agreement from
long-range forecast soundings that illustrate sub-freezing thermal
profiles.

• Like 2

I messed around with the ECMWF ERA reanalysis on weather dot us. Here are maps from two of the most striking events in Midwest history- The cold wave of 1983 is shown here and two days later, the lower Great Lakes had the coldest Christmas day in history. (Detroit had 4/-10 on Christmas) As it shows, -40 degrees was in North Dakota (verifiable if you check stations like Williston North Dakota which was -50). Interesting note: this may also be some of the highest sea level pressure of all time in the Americas. Next is the CAPE for the Super Outbreak of 1974 which had a huge impact in the Midwest and South. The NCEP reanalysis does worse with hi-res properties such as this (NARR might be comparable). I wonder what might happen if you had something like a RAP analysis of 1974.

us_reanalyse-en_modera5_198312231200_5_210.png

us_reanalyse-en_modera5_197404032100_5_654.png

• Like 1