• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SolidIcewx

15 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

I first caught Tom via cable 42 years ago. He was so far above any TV Met I had seen up to that point. As if I'd only seen Pee Wee baseball and then somebody took me to a Major League playoff game. Glad for those Chicagoans pre-www that had Tom as their local guy. 

I was very lucky to grow up with Mal Sillars in Detroit. The best TV MET in my opinion in the 70s and 80s.  Finally getting cable in the 90 I found WGN with the amazing Tom Skilling.  Just Wow.  Those 2 where the best TV METs. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lightning said:

I was very lucky to grow up with Mal Sillars in Detroit. The best TV MET in my opinion in the 70s and 80s.  Finally getting cable in the 90 I found WGN with the amazing Tom Skilling.  Just Wow.  Those 2 where the best TV METs. :thumbsup:

I knew of Mal Sillars. Perhaps from visiting relatives in the Detroit burbs I may have seen him once or twice. Fred McMurray in Flint was decent. Heard Sonny Elliott a lot since my dad only listened to WJR while driving even after moving out of Detroit in the 50s.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

I knew of Mal Sillars. Perhaps from visiting relatives in the Detroit burbs I may have seen him once or twice. Fred McMurray in Flint was decent. Heard Sonny Elliott a lot since my dad only listened to WJR while driving even after moving out of Detroit in the 50s.

Sonny Elliott was a riot and fun.  He knew how to make weather very entertaining.  Jerry Hodac was also very decent MET here.  Ah the memories ... Good times!! :D

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lightning said:

I was too young for Sillars. Ive always heard Sonny Elliot was incredible. Jerry Hodak was always my favorite. Now I dont really pay attention to or care for any of the media mets. Im all about the NWS.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I was too young for Sillars. Ive always heard Sonny Elliot was incredible. Jerry Hodak was always my favorite. Now I dont really pay attention to or care for any of the media mets. Im all about the NWS.

If you listened to WWJ (950 AM) during the afternoon rush in the 2000s, Sonny Eliot was the regular on-air metereologist. This was long after he had retired from TV (he was the Chief Meteorologist at WDIV until the late 70s).

While he was a fine weatherman, he wasn't nearly as revered as Tom Skilling has been for his technical expertise. It was more so his personality and eccentric way of delivering forecasts that won him favor with his audience. What was unique about him was that he was always perky on-camera (although I heard he was kind of difficult to work with behind the scenes), cracking jokes and speaking in riddles.

https://youtu.be/0WyBMhnmGb8?si=Mz1fmA1iaEGLbCmm

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Powerball said:

If you listened to WWJ (950 AM) during the afternoon rush in the 2000s, Sonny Eliot was the regular on-air metereologist. This was long after he had retired from TV (he was the Chief Meteorologist at WDIV until the late 70s).

While he was a fine weatherman, he wasn't nearly as revered as Tom Skilling has been for his technical expertise. It was more so his personality and eccentric way of delivering forecasts that won him favor with his audience. What was unique about him was that he was always perky on-camera (although I heard he was kind of difficult to work with behind the scenes), cracking jokes and speaking in riddles.

https://youtu.be/0WyBMhnmGb8?si=Mz1fmA1iaEGLbCmm

Watched the parade back then too. 

"This morning I got up and shoveled 4 inches of partly cloudy" -Sonny Elliot

• Haha 3

Campi Flegrei supervolcano in Italy acting like it’s going to blow soon. Last week the US DoD told staff in the region to have a go bag ready at all times. Climate wise it could go either way / so much ash we keep a low latitude snowpack all year for a year, or flood the atmosphere with so much c02 the warming gets a hit of rocket fuel. Something to keep an eye on. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

Campi Flegrei supervolcano in Italy acting like it’s going to blow soon. Last week the US DoD told staff in the region to have a go bag ready at all times. Climate wise it could go either way / so much ash we keep a low latitude snowpack all year for a year, or flood the atmosphere with so much c02 the warming gets a hit of rocket fuel. Something to keep an eye on. 

Does anyone know how much ash that large eruption in the Pacific generated? 

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

Does anyone know how much ash that large eruption in the Pacific generated? 

Hunga Tonga? Not much, but it did put quite a bit of seawater into the stratosphere. Eruption even hit the lower mesosphere. ~10-15% increase in water vapor at that height, if I remember correctly, in the SH. I'm sure it circulated around some into the NH. With volcanoes, it always about ash, and especially so2. This was a new one for scientists concerning seawater injection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:40 PM, Lightning said:

Shout out to Jerry Hodak from WXYZ

• Like 2

I was messing around with the radar archive to find out about the Manchester SD tornado.  Instead of the Manchester tornado, I made this plot of a different tornado, connected to a massive supercell. It was closer to the FSD radar, June 24, 2003. Tornado Archive says 95 tornadoes in 1 day.

june 24 2003.jpg

2003_06_25_0033z_huge_supercell_south_dakota.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Chinook said:

Anybody remember this snow storm? It sort of maxed out in and near Cedar Rapids to Madison Milwaukee on 2/6/2008

snowstorm from 2-7-08.jpg

radsfcus_exp2008020615.gif

Super Tuesday snowstorm, remember it well Mount Pleasant had 16-20" of snow. It was also a couple days before my birthday. It was a complete mess going home that weekend too, state highways were still snowcovered 24 hours after the snow stopped.

• Like 1

Feb 6, 2008 was ice here, ending as 2.6" snow. The scenery of ice coated trees topped with a fresh blanket of snow was beautiful, but naturally I was jealous of the deep heavy snow just to my north. What a winter that was. This was the second storm that really missed my area with good snow totals (the other one being January 1) and I still ended up with 78.2".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chinook said:

Anybody remember this snow storm? It sort of maxed out in and near Cedar Rapids to Madison Milwaukee on 2/6/2008

snowstorm from 2-7-08.jpg

radsfcus_exp2008020615.gif

This storm was really the first snowstorm I remember somewhat completely. If I recall it had blizzard conditions for a while at Madisn. This is the one that caused the interstate to close between Madison and Janesville, leading to a bunch of people being stranded for quite a bit. It's the reason why there are crossing gates at select interchanges in Wisconsin on the interstates. This storm, the 6/7/08 tornadoes, and the 08 flooding are the events that really got me into weather. I would love a repeat of this storm, without the people being stranded of course. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geoboy645 said:

This storm was really the first snowstorm I remember somewhat completely. If I recall it had blizzard conditions for a while at Madisn. This is the one that caused the interstate to close between Madison and Janesville, leading to a bunch of people being stranded for quite a bit. It's the reason why there are crossing gates at select interchanges in Wisconsin on the interstates. This storm, the 6/7/08 tornadoes, and the 08 flooding are the events that really got me into weather. I would love a repeat of this storm, without the people being stranded of course. 

I remember turning on the scanner for that, there were people stranded who need insulin and the paramedics were riding snowmobiles to reach them.  Luckily they got there but were some tense times.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

:baby: and I feel :oldman: reading that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Yeah, 2008 overall was a balls to the wall kind of year for both :snowing: and :twister:in the Midwest. Occurring as they did in my young adult years it and 2010-'11 really upped my expectations for La Ninas which this recent stretch largely did not live up to.

My dad was among those stuck on the Interstate on 2/6, on his way home from work.

• Like 1

Police picked up an alligator on Grant Park beach in South Milwaukee on Monday. Why do I get the sense this is [mention=13722]hardypalmguy[/mention]’s doings? First the palms, then the flamingos, now this :lol:
image.jpeg.3e2a6b39277e00458e0a8b6fd6ac2c51.jpeg

So much climate change all over this photo.
- shirt sleeves in November
- sun and crystal blue waters like that of the ocean
- alligator
  • Haha 2