Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TS Ophelia

GaWx

35 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Which ones are already at sustained TS conditions? I aint denying it, I am just wondering where to find these stations. Also I posted in another thread but thought I would post here aswell, but maybe the beginning workings of a core? 

3107bd4f9a2d87a530593f46eb739cd4.png

Here it is KLTX

c1d0a8004a658862ca0af6664412d254.png

Kinda intrigued by the curve look. However, from satellite it seems the circulation is displaced to the south of this, so I am unsure. Thoughts would be appreciated

Onslow Bay outer buoy 

Wilmington Buoy

Frying Pan Tower

Diamond Shoals

Cape Hatteras Buoy

All have seen sustained winds 35-45 kts with some gusts over 55 kts

For Land:

Cape Lookout had a 52 MPH gust with 39 mph sustained wind 

• Like 5

I have been going to the Frying Pan Tower's Youtube channel this summer to see any waves that the hurricanes might have produced as they went by way off the coast and there was not much wave activity that I saw. Use to live in Hawaii and I miss the waves at Pipeline beach. But today with this storm being so close there are some waves 30 miles off the coast of Cape Fear and the ocean looks angry, so does the atmosphere. Really poor visibility looking across the ocean compared to the last month or so.

The Belly Cam shows the bottom pipe frame of the structure near the water and it is usually lined with seagulls but today they are not there!

Must be a real trip to ride out a storm in this tower.

Link to the buoy that can be seen from the tower, wave heights are 12 feet.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41013

https://www.youtube.com/@FPTower

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Ophelia has a rather unusual trajectory, moving NNW at landfall. I can't find any TSs or Hurricanes in the NOAA database along the NC coast that are close. Most move NE, with a number of outliers moving more W or WNW

Isabel? more NW I guess

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

You’re not looking. Cape lookout, piney island, Beaufort, then pretty much every pier from hatteras north has seen 40+ mph gusts 

I have been logging into Ambient weather, since I am one of the reporting stations and it is a great way to follow tropical systems through observing dozens of different stations in the regions being affected.   t also see the reports on top current rain rate and wind gust from all the regions I select. Total rain, wind gusts and more in real time. Weather Underground also includes a barograph for their stations, and continuously recorded weather records for all of the reporting stations to follow barometric pressure, and to get the precise moments of storm passage over an area. Frisco, NC, in the Outer Banks, already had a gust to 55. It seems that virtually everyone on the outer banks has been getting gusts over 40.

• Like 1

• Scott747 changed the title to TS Ophelia
6 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Not sure why so little interest in this. 

Convection now wrapping over the CoC. Very interesting 12 hours in play. 

I was thinking the same thing. Some amazing tropical transitioning accruing. If this had started a few hundred miles further south we would have a beast of a hurricane.

• Like 1