Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

They always know more info then they let on, yeah.  I still think he’s in the area…  if he makes it a few days, eventually someone will come home or visit a place to find it was broken into it a home alarm is tripped… and call the police, and the entire weight of US law enforcement will descend on the woods in the area of that burglary.

Like the prison break in N.NY… you think they could be anywhere, but the police know the odds are that people on the run stay local or move slow.

I bet the police are flipping out at every home burglar alarm that gets called in by a security company within most of Maine.

Yea unless he is in a bunker he built somewhere deep in the woods. 

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Lots of people with rifles will be entering the Maine woods in the next week or so. If he’s still at large, do the chances of someone coming across him go up?

The number of shotgun blasts going off in the woods, certainly won't help the nerves of folks in that area, if he hasn't been caught by then.

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea unless he is in a bunker he built somewhere deep in the woods. 

We still don't know if he targeted those he shot. However, if he didn't kill himself,  he is obviously an angry, unstable individual and could strike again somewhere.  That's the worrisome part of all this. 

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

We still don't know if he targeted those he shot. However, if he didn't kill himself,  he is obviously an angry, unstable individual and could strike again somewhere.  That's the worrisome part of all this. 

As far as I can discern, he was quick at the bowling alley.  Didn't pursue anyone.  Quickly got to the bar, and quickly left.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he had time to target individuals, but the locale's were def targeted.

If he's still alive, it seems he'd rather get away vs. give up his location by striking again (at least for now).

Total guess.

34 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Didn't he leave a suicide note to his son? I haven't read all posts so not sure if this has been discussed.

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

That’s what I was thinking. Head north towards the Allagash or somewhere in Baxter. 

He would have to bluff his way past the North Maine Woods or Baxter Park gates.  I hope those folks were alerted to that possibility.  Once in those places he'd be impossible to find as long as he could feed and shelter himself.  However, winters there would be challenging and there's not dozens of nearby camps/houses to raid, as did the North Pond hermit for 27 years.

Edit:  Posted this before seeing Jeff's link to the Downeast article.

No school again today.  I wonder how long they'll keep the shelter in place order?  Hunting season starts tomorrow.  Are they going to advise against it?

It would appear the guy is long gone, or, if he's still local, has no interest in giving up his location by killing again.

Police are being tight-lipped about leads, as they should be.  If the best they could muster was surrounding his dad's house last night, they must not have a lot at this point.

Listening to the scanner Wednesday night they seemed disjointed and slow to react - but I'm not a LEO nor do I fully understand what a quick response sounds like - so just my $.02.  I imagine it's not easy in a small town with lots of adjacent rurality.  Further distances between LEO's, less man-power, well-lit surfaces, cameras.

All of it's so crazy and makes finding closer for victims and families that much more daunting.  Fukin sucks.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, tunafish said:

No school again today.  I wonder how long they'll keep the shelter in place order?  Hunting season starts tomorrow.  Are they going to advise against it?

It would appear the guy is long gone, or, if he's still local, has no interest in giving up his location by killing again.

Police are being tight-lipped about leads, as they should be.  If the best they could muster was surrounding his dad's house last night, they must not have a lot at this point.

Listening to the scanner Wednesday night they seemed disjointed and slow to react - but I'm not a LEO nor do I fully understand what a quick response sounds like - so just my $.02.  I imagine it's not easy in a small town with lots of adjacent rurality.  Further distances between LEO's, less man-power, well-lit surfaces, cameras.

All of it's so crazy and makes finding closer for victims and families that much more daunting.  Fukin sucks.

I can’t imagine they allow hunting season to start until they capture/find him unless they are confident is he no longer in the state. But they wouldn’t have surrounded the house last night if they were. I think they are way behind his trail tbh. They seem to be chasing a ghost at this point. 

I don’t recall a mass shooter disappearing like this. They usually die on the scene or arrested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I can’t imagine they allow hunting season to start until they capture/find him unless they are confident is he no longer in the state. But they wouldn’t have surrounded the house last night if they were. I think they are way behind his trail tbh. They seem to be chasing a ghost at this point. 

I don’t recall a mass shooter disappearing like this. They usually die on the scene or arrested.

I agree.  I think they've been behind since the start.  I said this last night, too, but I do think he was in and out at both establishments.  Mass shooters typically stick around trying to inflict as much damage as they can before they flame out, one way or another.  This guy didn't.  So fucked up. 

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I can see limiting hunting activity around that local area, but for finding something further away there probably isn't a better way than deer season. Only time of year people even venture into alot of areas. Its upland bird season already, but most of that is further north. 

11 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I can see limiting hunting activity around that local area, but for finding something further away there probably isn't a better way than deer season. Only time of year people even venture into alot of areas. Its upland bird season already, but most of that is further north. 

I don't see postponing it to be feasible either.  Though since there is no Sunday hunting in ME, I guess they could postpone Saturday.

Jeff is such a cool guy. We met at GYX back in 2014 with Eckster. We hit it off right away. Has a great feel for his climo as well as his states snowmobiling climo spots. We bust balls on here but every single New England forum member I have met these decades are cool to talk to. Our common love of weather creates a family atmosphere in here. We don't hold back but we all are peaceful loving people who just are consumed by mother nature. Good stuff 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Jeff is such a cool guy. We met at GYX back in 2014 with Eckster. We hit it off right away. Has a great feel for his climo as well as his states snowmobiling climo spots. We bust balls on here but every single New England forum member I have met these decades are cool to talk to. Our common love of weather creates a family atmosphere in here. We don't hold back but we all are peaceful loving people who just are consumed by mother nature. Good stuff 

I met Jeff a few years ago at the Maine snowmobile show and you are correct, he is a great guy.  My condolences Jeff.  I hope you can get some riding in this year to be able to get away from it all for a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

This, a thousand times.  Since Cool Spruce had the stroke (can it be a dozen years?) I've had more conversations here with Jeff than anyone else, and it's not close.  Now he's dealing with yet another personal tragedy while in shock for what happened a few miles to his north.  Stay strong, Jeff; others in your family need you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1