Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There is still a lot to resolve when it comes to what we can expect. I would think there is going to be a very sharp cutoff and gradient within the region. It's just a matter of where that gradient resides. There also appear to be two viable solutions 

1. An all out rain/flooding event along/south of the Pike as the NAM suggests 

2. A two part event where we get one round of heavy rain associated with warm front/strong warm air advection, which diminishes rapidly as the system occludes and then a second round as the decaying circulation passes nearby. 

Regardless, the weekend is going to be crap...cool, breezy, cloudy, rain but it's a question of just how crappy and whether we have significant flooding concerns. East facing slopes of the southern Berkshires into the Litchfield Hills could be a secondary max area for upslope enhanced totals. 

But if we get fronto aligned just north of Long Island across southern Connecticut and southern Rhode Island I'm afraid flooding could be quite significant. 

Then into early next week looks cool and unsettled right now as this thing looks to meander around with onshore flow.... need that high pressure to push in and clear everything out

• Like 2

For the meteorologists and advanced hobbyists who've been doing this for some time, when deciphering model output, would you say you have more confidence in what the models are spitting out or is it more so your interpretation based on your experience of what the models are outputting?

From a 3rd party layman's perspective, it appears that determinations are made based on what a model suggests, or rather it's evolution in getting to whatever the model is currently suggesting, however that can change rather dramatically by the time the next output is delivered.  

Seems like highly complicated business and not really for those who like/need hard and fast, black and white answers!

12 minutes ago, Layman said:

For the meteorologists and advanced hobbyists who've been doing this for some time, when deciphering model output, would you say you have more confidence in what the models are spitting out or is it more so your interpretation based on your experience of what the models are outputting?

From a 3rd party layman's perspective, it appears that determinations are made based on what a model suggests, or rather it's evolution in getting to whatever the model is currently suggesting, however that can change rather dramatically by the time the next output is delivered.  

Seems like highly complicated business and not really for those who like/need hard and fast, black and white answers!

I’d think it is your second paragraph. 

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

There is still a lot to resolve when it comes to what we can expect. I would think there is going to be a very sharp cutoff and gradient within the region. It's just a matter of where that gradient resides. There also appear to be two viable solutions 

1. An all out rain/flooding event along/south of the Pike as the NAM suggests 

2. A two part event where we get one round of heavy rain associated with warm front/strong warm air advection, which diminishes rapidly as the system occludes and then a second round as the decaying circulation passes nearby. 

Regardless, the weekend is going to be crap...cool, breezy, cloudy, rain but it's a question of just how crappy and whether we have significant flooding concerns. East facing slopes of the southern Berkshires into the Litchfield Hills could be a secondary max area for upslope enhanced totals. 

But if we get fronto aligned just north of Long Island across southern Connecticut and southern Rhode Island I'm afraid flooding could be quite significant. 

And how much wind damage there may be 

That models are there to offer plausible scenarios.

It's up to the operational Meteorologists (forecasters) to determine the likeliness of any given solution, or the consensus thereof.

In the early days of modeling, there was much more bandwidth for "reasonable doubt"  Forecasting relied upon more of a combination of the model solutions together with experience and/or particular insights of the forecaster.  

However, in more recent/modern eras, modeling has improved enough that the forecaster doesn't need to be as much of an 'artist' in shorter lead times  - in fact... sometimes now, particularly for < D4(ish), more and more forecasters still attempt to out fox or think the models, and end up eating it for having doubted.

The speculation game ( using education, experience and intuition) in forecasting has shifted more toward ~ D3, increasing days 4 or 5, and almost completely necessary beyond D7s.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That models are there to offer plausible scenarios.

It's up to the operational Meteorologists (forecasters) to determine the likeliness of any given solution, or the consensus thereof.

In the early days of modeling, there was much more bandwidth for "reasonable doubt"  Forecasting relied upon more of a combination of the model solutions together with experience and/or particular insights of the forecaster.  

However, in more recent/modern eras, modeling has improved enough that the forecaster doesn't need to be as much of an 'artist' in shorter lead times  - in fact... sometimes now, particularly for < D4(ish), more and more forecasters still attempt to out fox or think the models, and end up eating it for having doubted.

The speculation game ( using education, experience and intuition) in forecasting has shifted more toward ~ D3, increasing days 4 or 5, and almost completely necessary beyond D7s.

Interesting.  Logically it makes sense that a "cone of certainty" or confidence narrows as you approach the start of a weather event but it's interesting to consider what contributes to that confidence at longer lead times.  

I recall a time or two last winter when you had a high level of confidence in something materializing at long lead times - 10-15 or so days out.  I don't remember the finer details of the storm, but do remember one of them blossomed into a region-wide event.  

With respect to model improvements in recent years, is there a way to quantify that?  

For example, is it in terms of "Model X is correct XX% of the time" or is it more nuanced than that?  

I ask because it seems like there can be drastic fluctuations from run to run.  One run showing an event in SNE only to have it move 100's of miles north in the next run, etc.  Although, maybe pinpointing specific areas (IMBYism) is more of an individual human response rather than a testament to the reliability of a model output...?  I.e.: it's going to rain in a general area and it could be SNE, CNE or some combination thereof.  

5 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

ever been to Marthas Vineyard? that place is seriously infested with skunks. Camped at the campground a few times in the past. once the sun goes down, they invade the campsites looking for scraps. but they never spray. i had one rubbing up against my legs one time, like it was a cat. it was hard to sit still lol

One evening when we lived in Gardiner, I was taking garbage out to the curb when a very young skunk walked right up to me, sniffed, then walked away.  I had one black bag and one white, so maybe it thought I was Mother.
When my older brother was doing outdoor bivouac during Ranger School, he woke up to find a skunk sleeping on his chest.  A few cautious wiggles and the critter ambled off.  Brother expressed how glad he was that it wasn't a cottonmouth.

I was being a bit sarcastic regarding all this supposed warm water.  Not so warm after all. thanks for the charts. :thumbsup:

SSTs on Casco Bay were near 70 a week or so ago, then Lee brought up water from where the lobsters live.  Any TC heading here now would need to be going faster than 1938 to reach PWM alive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We dry and can. Variety is the spice of life.5 different strains. Edibles out of sugar leaves 

Yes, Trim, Keep the sugar leaves, Hang them upside down dry it out, I mason jar them after, They keep a very long time, I have some Choc Kush that will rock your world on two hits but is great for pain management...............lol

IMG_2840.jpg

• Like 6