• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

Some of the leaves took damage from the 5/18 freeze as well. My sugar maple leaves wilted up in that and never quite looked the same the rest of the season even though they remained green and "straightened" back out. It was a tough year though between that and the rain/high RH. Even my pawpaws are showing some fungal spots and they're fairly disease resistant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Some of the leaves took damage from the 5/18 freeze as well. My sugar maple leaves wilted up in that and never quite looked the same the rest of the season even though they remained green and "straightened" back out. It was a tough year though between that and the rain/high RH. Even my pawpaws are showing some fungal spots and they're fairly disease resistant.

Had no freeze here though lower spots in town did.  Just a total dud of a season for many many reasons 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Over last 20 years since our Fall’s have been getting warmer, I’ve noticed the foliage season has been kind of a dud. Still seems good up north, but definitely I’ve noticed a change in the last 20 years down in southern New England.

"dud" can be sub-categorized by observation, too... 

Like, these individual tree species did always tend to favor different times.  Some earlier along the ~ 3 week 'color season' while others, like Oak and Silver Maple were very late.   It seems that is spread out even more now, such that particular species are getting to a 5-day span of pop more like solo acts.  So instead of that one big week of technicolor explosions, fireworks crescendo at the end of the autumn show ...we're getting these small detonations at different times along a color season that's more like 4 or 5 weeks in length that just sort of fades out to a piece of shit brown ground winter ... I digress.

The other aspect is disease.   I've seen this sort of "blight" like Septiforia fungus other years since 2010.  One year, the 90 year old sugar maple at the corner of my plat up and browned and downed by September 15. Zero color, just death.   One year, ...tho the tree always turned a vibrant saffron that lit up the neighborhood with orange light during late October afternoons, it turn yellow by the end of September. Like banana yellow, and the individual leaves had dark spots.   I did not live here prior to 10 years ago, but the first 4 years I did so, that tree was very consistently orange max on or about October 10.  It's been rather unpredictable and more dullard ever since.

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Over last 20 years since our Fall’s have been getting warmer, I’ve noticed the foliage season has been kind of a dud. Still seems good up north, but definitely I’ve noticed a change in the last 20 years down in southern New England.

Last season (the foliage)was spectacular here…a few years before that it was gorgeous too.  Some years it isn’t as vivid, some it is. Lots of factors play in to that equation each year. 

I remember a few years back…it was so dry, it was predicted to be a horrible foliage year. But then in September we got some soaking rains, and that’s all it took for the trees to respond, and it ended up being a spectacular fall foliage year, despite the dire predictions due to the very dry summer. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

The anthracnose browning on maple is the worst I've seen here.  That plus the huge seed crop yet to fall (before today) from sugar maples makes for a dull appearance.  However, the wet site red maples are looking normally bright for mid-Sept.  Having a June with the most days with rain and the least percentage of possible sun did no favors to the trees; most of the 10 that I measure biweekly have shown slower than usual diameter increment. 
Hoping to avoid another 2005.  That fall the colors were late, mostly dull yellow - zero reds - and 80% were gone after the 5.7" northeast storm on Oct 8-9.

• Thanks 1

Yeah .... but unfortunately, looks like we'll have to deal with another bout of warmth and DPs ... ~ day 6 - 11...

The telecon is a tough sell still, because the hemispheric mode is still sort of stranded in summer nebular wave spacing/dimensions - that means that correlations become a bit less useful.  That said, the PNA ( in the American cluster) is trying to slip negative, while these operational runs are trying to tip the PNAP into its negative mode with a little bit more coherency than the former. 

Bottom line ... it would seem the percentages are leaning to a warm period.  We'll see.

• Like 1