Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

16 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We measure on temps. What a bullshit artist. :lol: 

It feels like a discussion where one wants to make sure below normal doesn’t equal cold.    Just like how above normal in January doesn’t mean it was hot.

But we use departures to measure temperatures, it is what it is.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How often has your AC been on?

How does one quantify that vs normal vs below normal?

Below normal to above normal can be the difference between 82F and 85F for highs.  Probably running A/C in both cases.

Just like in January, you’re heat is still on whether the month is -2F or +6.

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Powderfreak nailed it. All these school closures come down concerns over litigation. Kid slips on some slush and suddenly the school district is on the hook for a million bucks 

The differences were on display when I was in Europe… there was a bunch of stuff that I was like no way in hell would that fly in the United States.  And people would be like why not? Why can’t those people be doing maintenance on a hotel roof 100 feet off the ground with no fall protection? It’s their choice. Lol.

People and companies get sued day and night in the US… and some of it is good, better workers rights/OSHA stuff, and better safety on consumer products, better building codes, etc.

But on the flip side our litigation society means everyone is wondering how liable they will be for every decision.  Kid passes out in the heat in a classroom, hits his head,  parents are in an uproar because the school knew there was a Heat Warning/Advisory and they don’t have A/C or fans.  School then needs to pay that family in a settlement out of court.

3 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

with a top ten warm july sprinkled in 

1 90F day with mostly nights driving it. Very humid for sure, but temp wise during the day was unimpressive. Not even sure it was top 10 overall across the region.  I know up north it was a furnace relative to anomalies.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

I don’t really get this argument. Heat is the number one wx related killer and can cause serious illness more easily than any other type of wx. We don’t usually see basically the hottest stretch of the summer in September. A classroom without AC and 20-25 kids in it for hours at a time isn’t going to be whatever the temperature is outside, it’ll probably be warmer, not to mention temperatures on school buses. 

Subjecting kids to that because of some perception that we did it when we were younger and turned out fine makes little sense to me. 

It’s easy to blame “society of litigation”, but I think a lot of people wildly oversimplify how litigation actually works, especially when it comes to government entities. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t really get this argument. Heat is the number one wx related killer and can cause serious illness more easily than any other type of wx. We don’t usually see basically the hottest stretch of the summer in September. A classroom without AC and 20-25 kids in it for hours at a time isn’t going to be whatever the temperature is outside, it’ll probably be warmer, not to mention temperatures on school buses. 

Subjecting kids to that because of some perception that we did it when we were younger and turned out fine makes little sense to me. 

It’s easy to blame “society of litigation”, but I think a lot of people wildly oversimplify how litigation actually works, especially when it comes to government entities. 

Exactly. Blow seemed like a pretty good idea in the early '80s.

• Haha 1