Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Idalia

hlcater

1 minute ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Eye might be benefitting from frictional convergence. Donut again from Tampa radar. This is not a rapidly weakening storm like a lot of the gulf halfacanes we used to see. I think this is steady state making landfall after a higher end peak a few hours ago

Yea, that fluctuation over the past couple of hours will be pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things.

It actually looks like land interaction may have offset or stopped the ERC as the inner eyewall again looks dominant. We saw this with Ida in Louisiana. Interesting stuff going on here. Definitely a high-end 3 making landfall. Radar, sat, velocities all confirm this. Thank god this is coming into a sparsely populated area

• Like 1

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Also, eyewall lighting is picking back up. It sputtered for a minute but this isn’t coming in much below peak at all. Major wind threat inland though from reports it looks like it will be a very narrow corridor

Winds (the real damaging aspect anyways) should just be within eyewall.  Obviously outside of that will have gusts to hurricane force. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Winds (the real damaging aspect anyways) should just be within eyewall.  Obviously outside of that will have gusts to hurricane force. 

Charley could be a similar analog (though that storm was slightly stronger) as to what this wind damage corridor will look like. Extreme wind damage to very little just a few miles away

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I figured it would end up east of where yesterday's guidance had it when I published. Just wish I had stuck with 125mph and not bumped to 135mph. I overshot intensity a bit.

Was thinking more in the NW part of the county. Definitely had that jog east in guidance. Good call.

3 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Strikes just south of Perry FL. Going to get rough very soon

IMG_5043.jpeg

Such an odd radar presentation.   Completely open on southeast side.  That western and northwestern side is a beast.  Perry going to take a hard hit over the next 2 hours.  Hope the poster from Perry can stay with us for details as long as power / cell towers hold up.

Just now, NorthHillsWx said:

Look at Tampa radar. I’m not sure it was open on SE side

Sorry, you are right.  Not as much as Tallahassee suggested anyway.  Not as open but still much less impressive than western semicircle.  It has pretty much been that way at least off and on for the last 12 hours.