Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Banter 2023

George BM

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Heads up if you are trying to travel NB on 395…the highway is closed due to a suspect stealing a truck and basically hitting multiple vehicles on 66 and 395 -  the arlnow story shows a video of the truck basically driving through cars as they were stopped in traffic.  The police caught the loser but there are multiple injuries, some serious.

https://www.arlnow.com/2023/08/12/breaking-numerous-crashes-block-i-395-after-tractor-trailer-hit-and-run-suspect-steals-arlington-ambulance/

I watched Statter's vid. I am so frackin' GLAD I dont live in North Va anymore. This Hellageddon Monster Heat Wave in Texas may kill me yet - but at least we dont have those I 395 crazies down in south central Texas. Yet. It was BAD as heck in northern Virginia in 2018 in August when I made my escape.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jebman said:

I watched Statter's vid. I am so frackin' GLAD I dont live in North Va anymore. This Hellageddon Monster Heat Wave in Texas may kill me yet - but at least we dont have those I 395 crazies down in south central Texas. Yet. It was BAD as heck in northern Virginia in 2018 in August when I made my escape.

I try to avoid driving in Northern VA when possible.

• Like 1

We're really lucking out on Wednesday night, when the three of us are going to see Springsteen in Philly as kind a send-away to our daughter (and as a birthday present to me) before she goes back to uni week after next. Never been to a big concert with her. Hope she likes it; she wants to go and I'm not the Bruce fan I was when I was younger. Mostly clear temps falling through the 70s. Thank goodness we're (and he and his band, all of whom are ... seasoned performers, shall we say) not dealing with heat advisories and EHWs like they are in the NW and SE. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Best thing about today's storm is I got to hear the EAS beeps on WTOP as I was driving home. 

Glad you mentioned that...we had lost power by the time we went under a tornado warning yesterday, though I still received all alerts on our wx radio with battery backup. What I didn't expect was to get the cell phone based emergency alert for the tornado threat. Is that standard practice for tornado warnings? (That was only the second I've experienced in the 20+ years living in this neighborhood.)

21 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Glad you mentioned that...we had lost power by the time we went under a tornado warning yesterday, though I still received all alerts on our wx radio with battery backup. What I didn't expect was to get the cell phone based emergency alert for the tornado threat. Is that standard practice for tornado warnings? (That was only the second I've experienced in the 20+ years living in this neighborhood.)

I remember getting one on my phone when the small tornado went through N Arlington/Foggy Bottom a while back. It woke me up

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yes, I've seen tornado warnings and flash flood warnings get pushed to cell phones which imo is a huge leap since the majority of folks have a cell phone nowadays.

• Like 2

I had a good time in DC, but my twin brother was egged on August 2nd on the way back from a Cat Café on Penn. Ave bridge above US-29, the car who had the egger was a Black 3rd-Generation Dodge Challenger with a DC Plate, but no tag number since it sped away on Penn. Ave towards the US Capitol.

I did manage to talk to DC Police via Email.

Apparently, the east coast has an egging problem. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 11:14 PM, Iceresistance said:

I had a good time in DC, but my twin brother was egged on August 2nd on the way back from a Cat Café on Penn. Ave bridge above US-29, the car who had the egger was a Black 3rd-Generation Dodge Challenger with a DC Plate, but no tag number since it sped away on Penn. Ave towards the US Capitol.

I did manage to talk to DC Police via Email.

Apparently, the east coast has an egging problem. 

Sorry to hear that but glad you had a good visit. Egging cars is the least of DC’s crime problems. 

On 8/13/2023 at 11:17 AM, 09-10 analogy said:

We're really lucking out on Wednesday night, when the three of us are going to see Springsteen in Philly as kind a send-away to our daughter (and as a birthday present to me) before she goes back to uni week after next. Never been to a big concert with her. Hope she likes it; she wants to go and I'm not the Bruce fan I was when I was younger. Mostly clear temps falling through the 70s. Thank goodness we're (and he and his band, all of whom are ... seasoned performers, shall we say) not dealing with heat advisories and EHWs like they are in the NW and SE. 

Our luck ran out. Just as we were going out the door of the hotel, we read the concert was cancelled due to Springsteen having some kind of health issue. Rumor is he's got the newest Covid variant. They'll honor the tickets later when he gets better and can reschedule but whether our daughter will be able to make it, being back at uni ... who knows? So we're out the gas and tolls, and the hotel room, since we turned around and drove home last night. I would have stayed to luxuriate -- or what I consider to be luxuriating -- in the hotel, but I was outvoted by my wife and daughter, both of whom were adamant about coming home. What a day: the original hotel we'd booked -- a Hampton Inn near the airport -- was a smelly dump, so we changed hotels (at least we got the money back for the first one). Checked into the new, much nicer place, and then found out about the cancellation. Disappointed, but at least we didn't fly into Philly to see him like some couple from Europe we were talking to at a restaurant near Citizens Bank Park. 

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Our luck ran out. Just as we were going out the door of the hotel, we read the concert was cancelled due to Springsteen having some kind of health issue. Rumor is he's got the newest Covid variant. They'll honor the tickets later when he gets better and can reschedule but whether our daughter will be able to make it, being back at uni ... who knows? So we're out the gas and tolls, and the hotel room, since we turned around and drove home last night. I would have stayed to luxuriate -- or what I consider to be luxuriating -- in the hotel, but I was outvoted by my wife and daughter, both of whom were adamant about coming home. What a day: the original hotel we'd booked -- a Hampton Inn near the airport -- was a smelly dump, so we changed hotels (at least we got the money back for the first one). Checked into the new, much nicer place, and then found out about the cancellation. Disappointed, but at least we didn't fly into Philly to see him like some couple from Europe we were talking to at a restaurant near Citizens Bank Park. 

I'm sorry to hear all of that...it's always a bit of a gamble to go see a concert outside of our area.

On an arguably brighter, somewhat related note....my youngest son (at a dewy-eyed 26) has been deep-diving into the oldest recesses of Springsteen's discography, and just discovered his Nebraska album from 1982 (which is my personal favorite of his albums). My son has been pinging me with questions the past two weeks about this album, has been teaching himself songs from it to play on his own guitar, and just admitted last night that it has rapidly become HIS favorite Springsteen album. My work there is (almost) done...  :D 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Beautiful photos, @CAPE. Let me know where you end up living over there and I’ll visit!

The last leg of our trip was in Glacier and thought I’ve been there before, it doesn’t disappoint. Such a stunning park.

image.jpeg.bd2c0a6d7a2654353b11751c9a81376b.jpeg

image.jpeg.4acf3f8788bae741236d152d08a6c3b1.jpeg

image.jpeg.7b5143156a8bc3eaec1619f635df94e6.jpeg

image.jpeg.dc78f7a73918f34c147790a09d64cf52.jpeg

image.jpeg.e979143a96f40907d13e40693fc8bbe7.jpeg

image.jpeg.2ffb4f5973c58c767fc3eb8718907dda.jpeg

Incredible. Been to Yellowstone. Glacier is at the top of my list.

• Like 2

In Buda, Texas we hit 108 hot degrees today. The wind in the shade is a hot oven. Plants are shriveling up. I water our fruit trees. No matter, the leaves turn brown anyhow. This is getting BAD. No rain for weeks yet. All the models are printing out for us, is hot and dry, hotter and dry for the foreseeable future.

The future is bright, very snow bright in the DC Region beginning in November. The subtropical jet will be an absolute BEAST and bring massive storms, that will explode because of the hot ocean SSTs. It's going to be a long, frigid, SNOWY winter in the mid Atlantic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

So stupid Xwitter links aren’t automatically embedding anymore like they did before. Anyone know a work around?

Use another platform? j/k :). I refuse to create an account. Used to be able to browse and read things, but now its like Instagram and the others where you can't do anything without an account.  No thanks.

Not trying to downplay what is for sure to be a major disaster with catastrophic flooding in the Southwest..  but Watching WX Twitter go nuts over Hurricane Hillary is amusing.... post after post describing this is some sort of once in a life time event.. you only have to look back to last year to Hurricane Kay with a 100 mph wind gust in San Diego County.

2 hours ago, MDScienceTeacher said:

Not trying to downplay what is for sure to be a major disaster with catastrophic flooding in the Southwest..  but Watching WX Twitter go nuts over Hurricane Hillary is amusing.... post after post describing this is some sort of once in a life time event.. you only have to look back to last year to Hurricane Kay with a 100 mph wind gust in San Diego County.

I don’t think the two really compare that much. There might be elements of this that are truly once in a lifetime. Perhaps not wind, but rainfall as you mentioned.

6 hours ago, mattie g said:

Change the "x.com" to "twitter.com"

For whatever reason that doesn’t work for me. 

1 hour ago, Rhino16 said:

I don’t think the two really compare that much. There might be elements of this that are truly once in a lifetime. Perhaps not wind, but rainfall as you mentioned.

Yeah—no comparison IMO. Not only is this a direct hit where Kay hooked left south of the US, the rainfall is likely going to be unprecedented in the modern record for some areas. It may not be apocalyptic in LA/San Diego, but the D3 high risk suggest that it will be catastrophic in some of those areas. The wind is a distraction, even though coastal southern California rarely sees TS winds…from a TS.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic