Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter 2023

George BM

• H2O pinned this topic
31 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Woof. Glad I didn’t stay up and watch the O’s last night.

It was miserable in person.  Left fight before Adley hit his HR.  

Heading back today since softball was cancelled.  They can't have 2 stinkers in a row, right? 

34 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

5 Ks through 3 with no guys past second base.  On pace!

O’s offense is completely MIA. Lately either the pitching sucks when the team is hitting or the pitching is great but they can’t hit for shit. 

29 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

O’s offense is completely MIA. Lately either the pitching sucks when the team is hitting or the pitching is great but they can’t hit for shit. 

In a bit of a rut as a team for sure. Hopefully it's short lived. Acquiring a legit starter for the stretch would be really helpful in order to seriously contend for the division.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

1 run with 12 Ks for the Twins.  We’ll see Duran vs the top of the Os lineup.  The Twins do have one of the best pitching staffs in the league.  The hitting, not so good.

21 hours ago, hstorm said:

Incredible dead heat in the boys’ mixed age relay at our meet today. I have seen plenty of ties in 25/50 races, but never in a 200. Great finish to a great meet this morning. 

I had a feeling I knew which team you were…and I was right! :lol:

Very cool ending for you guys! Pretty amazing when a meet comes down to close relays, and it looks like you guys came out on top. Congrats!

We were surprised by how well our opponents swam yesterday. By the same token, we were a little off our own game, so we were only +2 going into relays. There were a few swing relays, one of which (13-14 boys) we weren’t sure would go our way but did, and that set us up for a finish we were confident would go our way. In the end, our girls mixed age pulled out a very surprising win without one of our star swimmers, which was a great way for us to win that meet.

3-0 start with our two toughest meets to come. We’re likely missing a few key swimmers for those, so we don’t have huge expectations, but ending 3-2 and tying for second in Relay Carnival after going up a division would be huge for us!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

<SNIP>

3-0 start with our two toughest meets to come. We’re likely missing a few key swimmers for those, so we don’t have huge expectations, but ending 3-2 and tying for second in Relay Carnival after going up a division would be huge for us!

You inadvertently brought out a great point. Fair warning, and grumpy old dude opinion forthcoming -- if your kids sign up for summer swim season, here's a fresh idea....how about you (not LITERALLY you, mattie) and your family NOT taking your friggin' family vacations until AUGUST, so that your kids can be there to swim for all or at least most A/B swim meets?? Do these cavalier families ever stop to think about what issues this causes for coaches and team reps who are trying to actively seed the heats for all of these meets? (The answer is "no," and they don't care.)

I can honestly say that for every single year that my two sons were part of our NVSL summer swim team (probably a 12-year timespan) our family did NOT take family vacations during the NVSL swim season. I'm not patting "us" on the back, but I did stress to my sons...if you make the commitment to swim for the neighborhood pool, you damn well better show up to swim for every meet for which you're eligible.

Our team had dozens of families that signed up multiple kids to swim throughout the summer season...and then ended up being there for, like, THREE total meets due to their overstacked travel schedules and other sports commitments. I mean, seriously, why bother?? Sorry (not sorry) if that offends some folks, but summer swim is a commitment just like any other sport.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, snowfan said:

Any spider experts on the board? I believe this is a young male northern black widow. Found it under my deck this morning. The white banding and broken hour glass are consistent w what I found online.

D9AA74DB-6159-40A9-9A4E-AC18F2A216D9.jpeg

Not a spider expert, but it certainly looks like the new owner of your home 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

You inadvertently brought out a great point. Fair warning, and grumpy old dude opinion forthcoming -- if your kids sign up for summer swim season, here's a fresh idea....how about you (not LITERALLY you, mattie) and your family NOT taking your friggin' family vacations until AUGUST, so that your kids can be there to swim for all or at least most A/B swim meets?? Do these cavalier families ever stop to think about what issues this causes for coaches and team reps who are trying to actively seed the heats for all of these meets? (The answer is "no," and they don't care.)

I can honestly say that for every single year that my two sons were part of our NVSL summer swim team (probably a 12-year timespan) our family did NOT take family vacations during the NVSL swim season. I'm not patting "us" on the back, but I did stress to my sons...if you make the commitment to swim for the neighborhood pool, you damn well better show up to swim for every meet for which you're eligible.

Our team had dozens of families that signed up multiple kids to swim throughout the summer season...and then ended up being there for, like, THREE total meets due to their overstacked travel schedules and other sports commitments. I mean, seriously, why bother?? Sorry (not sorry) if that offends some folks, but summer swim is a commitment just like any other sport.

I definitely hear you on that. We haven't planned a summer vacation before August since my older daughter started as an 8&U three years ago, and I can't see that changing any time soon!

We have a few families who have taken vacations during the season in the past couple years, and we have other kids who aren't going to be here for certain weekends due to other commitments. It's definitely frustrating, but a team our size doesn't have the luxury of turning away swimmers who might be missing meets. As long as the families tell us early on that their schedules are packed and we know which dates the kids are/aren't around, we can work around it. One of the families whose kids have missed lots of meets in the last two years is actually that of a former Team Rep and our current DC. They ran it by us, and even though we were disappointed that we wouldn't have them available to swim for more than half the meets, we appreciated their being up front about it.

My co-Rep and I make a half-joking announcement at the May parents' meeting that we fully expect that everyone planned their vacations starting in August, and honestly most do. We just get the occasional family that does what they're going to do, so we just accept it and move on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

I definitely hear you on that. We haven't planned a summer vacation before August since my older daughter started as an 8&U three years ago, and I can't see that changing any time soon!

We have a few families who have taken vacations during the season in the past couple years, and we have other kids who aren't going to be here for certain weekends due to other commitments. It's definitely frustrating, but a team our size doesn't have the luxury of turning away swimmers who might be missing meets. As long as the families tell us early on that their schedules are packed and we know which dates the kids are/aren't around, we can work around it. One of the families whose kids have missed lots of meets in the last two years is actually that of a former Team Rep and our current DC. They ran it by us, and even though we were disappointed that we wouldn't have them available to swim for more than half the meets, we appreciated their being up front about it.

My co-Rep and I make a half-joking announcement at the May parents' meeting that we fully expect that everyone planned their vacations starting in August, and honestly most do. We just get the occasional family that does what they're going to do, so we just accept it and move on!

You all have the right attitude. And you highlight an interesting phenomenon...I've observed a couple families from our own pool in years past, who volunteered to the hilt for swim team...and whose kids hardly showed up for swim season. It was honestly annoying and frustrating, because they felt they earned a "travel pass," and could do whatever the hell they wanted to. Fine.

As I've mentioned, if my sons made the commitment to summer swim, and I made them honor it, for every A/B meet they were eligible for. As my guys aged, the oldest considered summer swim to be more of a "conditioning" activity for his first loves in HS sports (e.g., LAX, football, X-country, etc.) but he showed up for all of the meets he was eligible for...even though he wasn't always a top scorer. Our younger son was a different story, and he's the one that "took off" in swimming as a little guy and onward -- not just in NVSL, but in NCAP, and also for his HS team at the state level. He still holds a few individual/relay records at our neighborhood pool and at Hayfield Secondary, and is still on perhaps a butterfly/relay list or two for NVSL records, although he's certainly dropping "down the list" as younger/faster swimmers excel in NVSL. :)

And yet...there were parents 10-15 years ago, and even today who felt/feel the need to criticize and say things like:

"Who the hell is that kid? Why is that name all over our pool's record board?!?"
"OMG, that family...they are such swimming attention whores!"
"My kid is TOTALLY gonna kill that 10+ year old record!"

These are REAL comments, heard first-hand or second-hand from a couple neighbors who are still pool members and who I trust implicitly. To all of these small, small people I say -- if you want your kid to excel at swim, summer league or otherwise, and to earn the records that (apparently) mean so much to you? HAVE YOUR KIDS SHOW UP TO EFFING SWIM. It's just that simple. My kids weren't seeking glory and attention...they made a commitment, and their mother and I made them honor it. But, if the glory and attention and records are what drives families today, then by all means go for it. Just don't bitch if you and your kids aren't there on deck most of the time, at practices and at meets...and then you're all butt-hurt because your kid's name isn't on a pool's record board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Chasing out west for my upcoming birthday and spotted this dust devil (or landspout? :weenie:) in Wisconsin. 

f0t7lvL.jpg

Definitely a dust devil given the body of the circulation. Desert climates are notorious for these because the surface of the dusty, sandy soils can produce extreme heat a given point. Farm lands can also exhibit these characteristics when they are drier and given the clear skies overhead, this is likely a thermodynamic response to diurnal heating and not from a convergence point from two boundaries. Good capture!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Definitely a dust devil given the body of the circulation. Desert climates are notorious for these because the surface of the dusty, sandy soils can produce extreme heat a given point. Farm lands can also exhibit these characteristics when they are drier and given the clear skies overhead, this is likely a thermodynamic response to diurnal heating and not from a convergence point from two boundaries. Good capture!

Awesome, thanks for the explanation! Hoping to get some good stuff out on the high plains tomorrow. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic