Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Check this, but I'm pretty sure we feel hot air differently. That's a heat source sink relationship. Hot doesn't bleed off to hot as quickly as it does to cold. So that is detected through biological nerves somehow interacting with conduction with the surrounding air. Basically ...air that is already hot is limiting the heat escaping from our person.

There may be some 2ndary infrared responses, if say the gas ( air ) gets so hot that it starts radiating in the infrared at a high enough registry.  

Anyway, infrared is a measure of electromagnet frequency, which humans can sense within a certain bandwidths... like, infrared, through the visible range of the spectrum.  However, it's a different energy state; I'm not sure it can be included into the same (ambient kinetic temperature + saturation) gaining up on the ability of the human body to radiate its own heat away...with out first may converting it to post-conduction heat that is gain, and then adding it. 

Yes. A thousand times yes. How do I know?

My wife. :lol: :axe: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Not off hand but those equations are complicated and there’s some disagreement about how the variables are all factored in to come up with an estimate. All of these indices are just estimates. The wind chill one was wrong for decades as well.

I preferred the old one, so I could brag up the -101 at our Fort Kent home on Jan 18, 1982.  The -72 from the new one lacks cachet.  :o

Nice peak of summer day here, mid-upper 60s dews and mid 80s, nothing spectacular.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

He’s in a tough place for big heat and big winter. 

Love my area. Average 60” a winter , max out dews being at elevation and in woods, always in the thunderstorm zone and don’t get too cool on summer nights . The only negative is on screaming sou Easter’s which torch this area on snow pack. This area is in every way shape and form 100x better than S Wey ocean climate 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Love my area. Average 60” a winter , max out dews being at elevation and in woods, always in the thunderstorm zone and don’t get too cool on summer nights . The only negative is on screaming sou Easter’s which torch this area on snow pack. This area is in every way shape and form 100x better than S Wey ocean climate 

I do like your elevation (990'?), but aren't your biggest snow storms usually like 14"? 

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who watches CNN? I mean honestly? As unAmerican as it gets . 

I guess you missed the disco this morning about sensationalizing weather… honestly every single news source in the US is a dumpster fire pandering to their customer base.  A singular event happens and everyone already knows what slant each station will cover it with, so what’s the point.  Wish we had a BBC, less opinions and more news.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Pretty mundane and safe area for hazardous weather. I had two microbursts the last 2 years. Also that cat 1 in October 2021.

32 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I do like your elevation (990'?), but aren't your biggest snow storms usually like 14"? 

It’s definitely no “ try that in Hubbardston “ here . But it’s a good snow spot. Far enough East to cash in on late development and Miller B’s.. far enough N & W to avoid ocean taint and warm rains on borderline scenarios .. and occasionally get lucky on big elevation events. I get big winds here in SE screamers and NW wind events .. and it’s a good tstorm spot. Not necessarily for severe, but it’s typically very active for convection. I can get some decent icing and occasionally get lucky with a legit icestorm while areas 2 or 300 feet lower down get little as we saw this past winter. It’s not perfect at all .. but it’s a pretty good area for an extreme wx lover like myself. I like society and people and am not the kind of person that wants to live isolated and socially inept. It’s fairly rural , but I can be anywhere in a relatively short drive .

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Pretty mundane and safe area for hazardous weather. I had two microbursts the last 2 years. 

Do dews really max out at elevation? I guess I don’t follow how dews are higher the further up you go.  RH is higher but are the actual dews increasing with height?

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Do dews really max out at elevation? I guess I don’t follow how dews are higher the further up you go.  RH is higher but are the actual dews increasing with height?

It’s fake science. Dews actually decrease with elevation, just not as steep as temps. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I guess you missed the disco this morning about sensationalizing weather… honestly every single news source in the US is a dumpster fire pandering to their customer base.  A singular event happens and everyone already knows what slant each station will cover it with, so what’s the point.  Wish we had a BBC, less opinions and more news.

Politics has even begun to enter the realm of science in some areas . Anywhere profit is possible and politics intersects you can take the science preached  behind it and really you can ...take it fully at its word if it comforts you to hold your belief system together instead of the annoying option of losing that compass of knowledge Or realizing it’s now subject to shadiness . It always retains some truth but the devil is in the spin/ details 

79f

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s fake science. Dews actually decrease with elevation, just not as steep as temps. 

Yeah that’s what I thought and the soundings show.  RH though does increase with height, as the temp falls faster than the dew with height.  I think some mistake dews for relative humidity… if the valley is 32% but say a hilltop is 40%, it doesn’t mean the dew is higher up there.  The low level temp lapse rate is steeper and causing the increase in RH.

32 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Politics has even begun to enter the realm of science in some areas . Anywhere profit is possible and politics intersects you can take the science preached  behind it and really you can ...take it fully at its word if it comforts you to hold your belief system together instead of the annoying option of losing that compass of knowledge Or realizing it’s now subject to shadiness . It always retains some truth but the devil is in the spin/ details 

79f

It’s getting to the point where the tell-tale sign of someone in too deep or too far gone is that they cannot see, recognize or acknowledge the bias in their preferred media, news, science, people telling them how to live their lives… folks look at it like a team sport and follow that compass blindly.  That’s how we go down this societal path.

72/66… last day in the period.  Front comes through here with dropping dews around midday.

B0BA23CA-0BDE-4DF9-ABF1-A6D114BC5D53.thumb.png.3c070ca35fadb27fdb58e403c1deae27.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1