Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/29-7/1 Severe Weather Threat

sbnwx85

19 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Rapid decay of the derecho as it pushed through the IND/LMK/PAH CWA's. The heavily modified air from the morning MCS in E. IL/SW. IN/W. KY killed it off fairly quickly.

Looks like renewed development is underway across SE. Illinois, with quality still TBD. A staple off high end MCS events, thought.

Yeah, after this little batch of activity, I'd definitely be looking upstream to the outflow-reinforced front. Should be a really nice instability gradient and source of low level convergence for another MCS to come ripping east again tomorrow.

Hope you guys don't mind me lurking here all day from the Philly area forum, but I'm glad you guys made it through (mostly) unscathed. Around 2pm today I took a break from watching the smoke progression in southeastern PA to check the radar and went "holy smokes" because it looked very similar to the 2012 derecho in its initial stages. I mean, that thing was booking it. I then spent the afternoon geeking out over the 2012 event (during which I was actually camping in southern Delaware and had no clue at the time what was going on) while simultaneously absorbing the commentary in this thread. Today was a very interesting weather day to be sure, and it's always nice to have knowledgeable folks contributing to the conversation.

The smoke's still pretty bad here, but hopefully it'll let up this weekend. I was kinda hoping for some relief tonight with that rapidly charging MCS but I guess it's one of those "be careful what you wish for" type deals. Cheers and goodnight~

• Like 3

Coming up on 9 hours without power, tomorrow may be a day of firing up the grill and smoker. Extend the life of frozen food before it's a total waste.

I'd give a thousand dollars for a nice battery powered fan right about now.

Oil lamps and propane lanterns, light the rooms but increase the temp at the same time, catch 22.....

• Sad 3

25 hours without power. Finally back on, kudos to the linemen. Got an inch and a half of rain down here in Decatur though. Power outages everywhere, would estimate the winds at 70 mph when it came through town yesterday. I love thunderstorms but I'll pass on the derecho fun. 

• Sad 1

Got power back at 5:00pm, so 28 hours of misery. Carb was gummed up on the small generator I have so couldn't run the deep freeze. Luckily I didn't lose that meat.

Did lose the refrigerator items though, last batch of deer chilli was at 67 degrees, should have thrown it in the deep freezer in hindsight.

2 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

Got power back at 5:00pm, so 28 hours of misery. Carb was gummed up on the small generator I have so couldn't run the deep freeze. Luckily I didn't lose that meat.

Did lose the refrigerator items though, last batch of deer chilli was at 67 degrees, should have thrown it in the deep freezer in hindsight.

What is deer chilli like

4 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

That’s a lot better that how DTE is up here glad you guys are getting it back. Takes DTE up to a week sometimes for smaller stuff

Passed through IL-94 a few hours ago from Dallas City, IL to Carthage, IL, 20 miles of apocalyptic destruction. Most trees were down, all homes had roof damage, many imploded grain bins, some grain bins crumpled in random fields and pushed off the road by equipment to re-open travel. Most electric poles laid down or split in half. Most corn pushed down flat. I’m not talking about a mile stretch, the entire 20 mile route was total destruction. Seems pretty certain extremely strong winds were present at the surface as the derecho pushed through that area.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

Passed through IL-94 a few hours ago from Dallas City, IL to Carthage, IL, 20 miles of apocalyptic destruction. Most trees were down, all homes had roof damage, many imploded grain bins, some grain bins crumpled in random fields and pushed off the road by equipment to re-open travel. Most electric poles laid down or split in half. Most corn pushed down flat. I’m not talking about a mile stretch, the entire 20 mile route was total destruction. Seems pretty certain extremely strong winds were present at the surface as the derecho pushed through that area.

DVN just issued a PNS with survey info for around there...

...SIGNIFICANT STRAIGHT-LINE WINDS ACROSS NORTHEAST MISSOURI, FAR   SOUTHEAST IOWA, AND WESTERN ILLINOIS...    

ESTIMATED PEAK WIND: 100 TO NEAR 120 MPH  

LENGTH /STATUTE/: APPROXIMATELY 150 MILES  

WIDTH /MAXIMUM/: 15 MILES   FATALITIES: 0   INJURIES: 2    

START DATE: 06/29/2023  

START TIME: 10:00 AM CDT  

CENTER START LOCATION: NEAR SOUTH GORIN / CLARK COUNTY / MO  

CENTER START LAT/LON: 40.3570 / -92.0260    

END DATE: 06/29/2023  

END TIME: 11:45 AM CDT

CENTER   END LOCATION: 5 NNE AVON IL / WARREN COUNTY / IL  

CENTER END LAT/LON: 40.6540 / -90.4480    

NOTE THAT "END LOCATION" IS NOT LIKELY WHERE SIGNIFICANT WINDS ENDED BUT WHERE THE STORMS MOVED INTO THE NWS CENTRAL ILLINOIS COUNTY WARNING AREA.    

SURVEY SUMMARY: THESE WINDS BROUGHT SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO DOZENS OF STRUCTURES WHILE ALSO DOWNING HUNDREDS OF TREES, IN THE TOWNS AND CITIES OF WYACONDA, MO, KAHOKA, MO, WAYLAND, MO, MONTROSE, IA, KEOKUK, IA,  FERRIS, IL, ADRIAN, IL, LA HARPE, IL, ROSEVILLE, IL, AND BUSHNELL, IL. DAMAGE AT FIRST IN NORTHEAST MISSOURI WAS IN-LINE WITH 80 TO 90 MPH WINDS, WITH APPROXIMATELY 100 LARGE TREES DOWNED ACROSS AREAS SURVEYED IN EASTERN SCOTLAND COUNTY AND MUCH OF CLARK COUNTY. THERE WAS SOME MINOR ROOF DAMAGE INCLUDING TO BUILDINGS DOWNTOWN KAHOKA. DAMAGE INCREASED IN INTENSITY NEAR MISSOURI STATE ROUTE 27. WINDS FURTHER INCREASED IN BOTH INTENSITY AND NORTH-TO-SOUTH   FOOTPRINT AS THE DERECHO APPROACHED THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER, WITH OVER A HUNDRED TREES DOWNED ALONE IN THE TOWNS OF MONTROSE AND KEOKUK, IA. MANY STRUCTURES WERE DAMAGED WITH TREES FALLING ON THEM AND SOME FROM WINDS ALONE, INCLUDING MULTIPLE MOBILE HOMES ON THE NORTH SIDE OF KEOKUK, A ROOF BLOWN OFF A HOME IN KEOKUK, AND   SEVERAL OUTBUILDINGS OR GARAGES HEAVILY DAMAGED. IN ILLINOIS, DAMAGE IN HANCOCK COUNTY WAS CONSISTENT WITH WINDS   LIKELY NEARING 120 MPH. THIS INCLUDED A LARGE COMMERCIAL RADIO TOWER FOLDED OVER, SEVERAL NEW UTILITY POLES SNAPPED AT THEIR   BASES, MULTIPLE MOBILE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED, SEVERAL GRAIN BINS AND OUTBUILDINGS HEAVILY DAMAGED, SEVERELY DENTED, AND/OR BLOWN FAR FROM THEIR ORIGINAL LOCATION, AND COUNTLESS LARGE TREES DOWNED. THERE WERE TWO REPORTED INJURIES IN FERRIS, ILLINOIS.

• Like 1