• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

Nearly everyday storm chances and I've dodged just about all of them, which I'm happy about since I'm not a fan of the rains. The storms now here suck so I rather not have the nuisance of them sadly. There was a cell that formed almost of top last night but somehow no rain just the typical 8 lightning strikes detected by my station (its always around 8 this summer).

Last week and now into this week its been too cloudy, getting pissed again about that. Its not just somewhat, but I'm talking dark gloomy crap that I want to forget! I want the wx we had on July 4th here again, sigh.

38 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

Looks like the 6:00p.m. deluge is getting to be a thing here. Day number 2 is about to start. The sky to the north is that horrible bruise color and there is rumbling again.

Just the opposite up here. I'm wishing for some of that storm action, as they keep dodging Huntington. Yesterday, we had one go north, one go south, and one that was zeroing in on town and just disintegrated, leaving us with a DAB.

Today, storms formed along the cool front just to our southwest, which is part of the line you are experiencing.

12 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Made it into the 90's across portions of the area this past Friday (July 14th). ORD and MDW topped out at 90.

...2023 90°+ Day Tally...
9 - ORD
8 - MDW
7 - DPA
7 - ARR
6 - LOT
6 - PWK
5 - RFD
3 - UGN

The difference between official OBS sites of MLI and RFD is significant, to say the least.

MLI has 23 90°+ days on the year, compared to 5 at RFD. Both sites are only ~87 miles apart. 

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Just the opposite up here. I'm wishing for some of that storm action, as they keep dodging Huntington. Yesterday, we had one go north, one go south, and one that was zeroing in on town and just disintegrated, leaving us with a DAB.

Today, storms formed along the cool front just to our southwest, which is part of the line you are experiencing.

Are you sure you want what I got? Somehow I found a notch in the line and only registered 0.05" in my tippy bucket. Just to my south got over an inch again. But I was OK with the little amount. After 0.75" in ten minutes on Sunday, only getting enough to dampen the soil is all I needed today.

The difference between official OBS sites of MLI and RFD is significant, to say the least.
MLI has 23 90°+ days on the year, compared to 5 at RFD. Both sites are only ~87 miles apart. 

Anecdotally it does semi track with reality though. I’ve thought to myself a few times not too far north of RFD when Cyclone has posted a 90+, “hmm what a difference a hundred miles makes”.

Made it into the 90's across portions of the area this past Friday (July 14th). ORD and MDW topped out at 90.

...2023 90°+ Day Tally...
9 - ORD
8 - MDW
7 - DPA
7 - ARR
6 - LOT
6 - PWK
5 - RFD
3 - UGN

a year ago for compare and contrast fun:

MDW the only location of note to get over 90 today, with a high of 91.

90°+ day tally for the year...

18 - MDW
16 - RFD
14 - Ex-Home
12 - Current Home
10 - ORD

On 7/17/2023 at 5:33 AM, weatherbo said:

Will be a cool and breezy day here with some afternoon showers again.  High only in the low to mid 60's.  An early taste of Fall for the north woods the next few days.

Been hitting the low 70's briefly here the last couple days. Definitely on the cooler side. Sept skies with aftrn popcorn shwrs. No smoke, too, makes things much nicer. That sh*t is the pits. <_<

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Perfect day. 74 and partly cloudy with no drought relief in sight. 

1.74” since June 1st (6.92” is average)

Yeah it's nice. Gardeners here, tho, are having a tough time with the cooler night temps, and low dews. Even my flower garden didn't really take off until we had some 60F a.m.'s. They love the warmer, humid wx. Drought not good either, but hoping for a wetter Aug. Should be more "Dog Day" stuff with warmer, more humid wx, and rains, before Fall plunges in, in early Sept, especially Labor day week.

3 hours ago, Brian D said:

Yeah it's nice. Gardeners here, tho, are having a tough time with the cooler night temps, and low dews. Even my flower garden didn't really take off until we had some 60F a.m.'s. They love the warmer, humid wx. Drought not good either, but hoping for a wetter Aug. Should be more "Dog Day" stuff with warmer, more humid wx, and rains, before Fall plunges in, in early Sept, especially Labor day week.

Fall never starts Labor Day week.  At least in southern WI.

6 hours ago, luckyweather said:

a year ago for compare and contrast fun:

Yea, we haven't had any real pushes of heat/humidity this far northeast into the sub-forum yet this warm season.

Even so, most areas around here (Minus near the IL/WI border) are still on pace to hit or exceed average for amount of 90° days on the year.

2 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Fall never starts Labor Day week.  At least in southern WI.

Seems first strong cool down/front (although usually transient) occurs mid to 3rd week of September. First taste of fall stuff.

• Like 1