Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

43 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

50.0F for the low.

Same here, a nice even 50 spot.  Had all the windows open and the house got down to 62.  Glorious.

14 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Lancaster finishing August with a total of 1.17" of rain, or 25% of normal.

I got 1.28" in August and am sitting at 22.01" for the year.  The next week looks dry as a bone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

Must have been a bad storm. Hopefully the insurance will cover it. 

I'm not sure who covers it. My mom's or the condo association. The home exterior and grounds are normally maintained through the association fees...ie landscaping, routine maintenance including new roofs every 15 years, and painting every 10. Not sure, and neither is my mom, about storm damage.

• Like 1

So we finished August with our 3rd below normal month in the last 4 months. The maximum temperature we recorded here in East Nantmeal during the month of August was only 83.1 degrees on the 15th. This is the lowest maximum temp for the month of August ever recorded in Chester County. The old low max record was the 84 degree max from August 1927!
Here in Chester County we finished the summer months of June through August as the 13th coldest summer (70.3) since records began 130 years ago. If we look at the 4 warm months of May thru August we finished as the 8th coldest (67.3) 4-month spring/summer stretch since 1894. See the table below for both rankings. Rain wise the June-August period was the 27th wettest summer with 17.13" of rain.
I will be sure to post the stats for the other long running NWS COOP Chester County sites across the county later today.
As cool as it has been this summer...we are about to finally get a taste of summer now that we are starting the first month of autumn. We should see widespread 90+ temps from Monday through Wednesday before we cool down to closer to normal levels by next weekend.
image.png.31a979ed102c262184c6ed0f9edf8ed5.png
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:
So we finished August with our 3rd below normal month in the last 4 months. The maximum temperature we recorded here in East Nantmeal during the month of August was only 83.1 degrees on the 15th. This is the lowest maximum temp for the month of August ever recorded in Chester County. The old low max record was the 84 degree max from August 1927!
Here in Chester County we finished the summer months of June through August as the 13th coldest summer (70.3) since records began 130 years ago. If we look at the 4 warm months of May thru August we finished as the 8th coldest (67.3) 4-month spring/summer stretch since 1894. See the table below for both rankings. Rain wise the June-August period was the 27th wettest summer with 17.13" of rain.
I will be sure to post the stats for the other long running NWS COOP Chester County sites across the county later today.
As cool as it has been this summer...we are about to finally get a taste of summer now that we are starting the first month of autumn. We should see widespread 90+ temps from Monday through Wednesday before we cool down to closer to normal levels by next weekend.
image.png.31a979ed102c262184c6ed0f9edf8ed5.png

Chesco, can you elaborate on the history of this reporting site?  I assume the observing station wasn't always at its current high-elevation site?  And if not, where has it been located throughout its history and when was it moved?  Also, who have the observers been for said site?  Anything at all you could offer up would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

This is how summer broke down here in Phoenix. I'm sure there's more stats, but these are the basics.

It is official. Summer 2023 (June, July and August) was the HOTTEST ON RECORD in Phoenix with a mean temperature of 97.0°F, this surpasses the previous record of 96.6°F set in 2020.

By month -

June average temp: 89.5°F

July average temp: 102.7°F (Hottest month all-time)

August average temp: 98.8°F (2nd hottest on record)

With just 0.12" of rain, it is also the driest summer on record officially.

• Like 2

This is how summer broke down here in Phoenix. I'm sure there's more stats, but these are the basics.
It is official. Summer 2023 (June, July and August) was the HOTTEST ON RECORD in Phoenix with a mean temperature of 97.0°F, this surpasses the previous record of 96.6°F set in 2020.
By month -
June average temp: 89.5°F
July average temp: 102.7°F (Hottest month all-time)
August average temp: 98.8°F (2nd hottest on record)

With just 0.12" of rain, it is also the driest summer on record officially.

Wow! Impressive.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

No...sitting by the creek with a book and not a care in the world...

PS, my favorite spot is parking in the first parking area and going to the group of tables to the right of the path over the bridge.  There is one table there that almost sits out over the creek because of the shape of the land.  Lots of small snakes in the rocks under that area. 

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

PS, my favorite spot is parking in the first parking area and going to the group of tables to the right of the path over the bridge.  There is one table there that almost sits out over the creek because of the shape of the land.  Lots of small snakes in the rocks under that area. 

We are very close to that spot.

Man, what a beautiful day here...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Chesco, can you elaborate on the history of this reporting site?  I assume the observing station wasn't always at its current high-elevation site?  And if not, where has it been located throughout its history and when was it moved?  Also, who have the observers been for said site?  Anything at all you could offer up would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Hi Mount Joy

No worries! Go to my website at www.chescowx.com for the detailed NWS observer names etc. and site moves across the 9 NM of Chester County during the period of record. The data has been statistically validated with significance testing (p <0.05) across this entire period 1894 to Present. While there have been differences.. slight snowfall increases as expected with the additional small elevation moves...they have been non-statistical as you can see below comparing the lower elevation obs through 1982 vs. the higher elevation obs since 1983. Overall strong consistency in the data over the relatively modest elevation increases across NWS COOP sites over the last 130 years.

image.thumb.png.dd89ba55d2fc86e53ee9e1f436e75057.png

On 8/30/2023 at 9:26 PM, Itstrainingtime said:

Congratulations. You will likely win the 2023 Central PA Great Mowing Derby. I mowed for the 27th time one week ago today and will not again for at least another 10-14 days if then. Grass is dead.

Another mow is on the way this morning while the temperature remains relatively cool.

I’ll need to go back through the thread to see if I can find my last mow count post to retrace my current count. 
I never mow more than once per week, so I think that you are still in the lead.

Hopefully your lawn rebounds soon!

Another below normal day today across the County...but by Monday we look to start our most sustained heat of the summer to date. It could even be a "heat wave" with 3 or more consecutive days over 90 degrees. Of course while many spots in the county should see multiple days over 90...I suspect East Nantmeal and other relatively higher spots will top out in the upper 80's for the most part....but fingers crossed I can see my first 90+ day in over 2 years!!

Records for today: High 102 (1953) / Low 42 (1934) / Rain 2.00" (1959)
image.png.a7f61bdb2b84de3e15b8850a774657fd.png